E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Difference b/w US and Euro e92 headlights?

04-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
jester
e90post buffoon
Poland
Rep
Drives: passively aggressive.

Difference b/w US and Euro e92 headlights?

Is there a difference in the operation of the US and Euro e92 headlights?

I gave up trying to find a photo of a Euro-spec car with its headlights on, but I expect not to see any orange color (unless the blinker is on) per EU regulations. In US members' e92 photos, an orange color is apparent at the corner when the headlights are on.

If, in fact, there is a difference between the two, is there any way to change from US to Euro-spec without purchasing a set of Euro lights? Will the headlight operation of a US-spec car with Euro lights be identical to that of a Euro-spec car?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, there is a difference

Its not visible when they are off

They are completely different units
      04-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
jester
e90post buffoon
Poland
Rep

Thanks fleet.

Do you know if there would be any problems (wiring, functionality, etc.) replacing the headlights on a US e92 with the European version?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Sorry, ive never seen the differences on the connectors between the 2

My guess is the US car may give a error because those US corner lights arnt there
      04-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
Thanks fleet.

Do you know if there would be any problems (wiring, functionality, etc.) replacing the headlights on a US e92 with the European version?
I understand your question but fail to get your point? If the units look and function the same (with an exception of the amber bulb) why would you want a Euro Spec unit..... This will make more sense if someone can list all the visual and functional differences if there are any
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
jester
e90post buffoon
Poland
Rep

I am not looking to mod the car for cosmetic reasons, but to comply with EU regulations, as I will ship and register a US-spec car in Europe.

AFAIK, an amber light is not emitted from an EU-compliant headlight unit when the headlights are on so that the turn signal is more visible. Instead of transitioning from dull amber to bright amber (as in the US), a turn signal in the EU goes from no color to bright amber.

I imagine that the end result will be similar to that of an e90 headlight swap, and there have been plenty of those. Do the lights on an e90 (US model) fitted with the Euro headlights mimic those of a true Euro e90 car?

The only other necessary mod is to enable the rear fog light, and there are several DIYs on the forum to help with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
The turn signal lighting up as a parking light has to do with the lighting module, not the headlamp itself...I'm pretty sure of this.
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
I am not looking to mod the car for cosmetic reasons, but to comply with EU regulations, as I will ship and register a US-spec car in Europe.

Is that possible ?

It has a number of differences compared with the EU model
Things like engines, emissions, Airbag system, software

The warranty would also be by BMW NA

And when you want to sell it ? Who in the EU would want a non-EU car ?
      04-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
jester
e90post buffoon
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Is that possible ?

It has a number of differences compared with the EU model
Things like engines, emissions, Airbag system, software

The warranty would also be by BMW NA

And when you want to sell it ? Who in the EU would want a non-EU car ?
There might be several differences in the US and EU models, but I will only have to disable the front amber light (when turn signal is not on) and install the rear fog switch in order to register the e92.

You are correct - I would take a chance by not having any warranty in Europe. Also, I am uncertain of what the service centers can do with the US software. Can they reflash and install a different software version (German, for example)? I probably should contact someone from the military to see how they go about servicing their BMW.

As you can see in my profile, I haven't purchased the coupe yet and still rely on a unicycle to get around. All joking aside, I am trying to think this idea through and if I go forward with purchasing and exporting the vehicle, it will be for my own personal/business use. I currently split my time between both continents, but spend the majority of the time in Europe.

So...I can either take the risk and drive a fully-loaded 335i coupe, or purchase a bare-bones 318i sedan there (not much more than the cloth seats and steering wheel) for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
n5160u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
The projector lens is different too. It has a moulded in ridge at the cutoff line to diffuse additional light upwards on the USA DOT approved fixtures because the North American lighting rules require it to illuminate unlighted overhead road signs and instead of a wide horizontal dispersion of the light, the DOT version requires a brighter "hot spot" concentrated towards the center of the beam. This is one reason USA lighting has so much more glare on the dipped beam compaired to fixtures intended for the EU.

I would like to know if it is possable to get the European approved projector lenses to replace the DOT versions. If the lens can be purchased as a part then I would also be able to send the extra set out to get them treated with the same antireflective coating found on some better optical lens like my eyeglasses. I want my car to have green eyes when the lights are off.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 03:46 AM   #11
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Jester, not sure about the lights, but yes, the service department at the German dealerships can flash with American software. I would try to find one near a military base though, just to be sure. I know I take my car to the local dealer here and they are great.
Appreciate 0