E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > any manual owners find down-shifting not as smooth when using A/C?

07-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

any manual owners find down-shifting not as smooth when using A/C?

kind of hard to describle, but when the ac is on and I downshift and let out the clutch, it seems to clunk a little or not let out as smoothly..maybe this has to do with the load on the engine and i'm not matching rev's good enough? anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Foxcolt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92

Turning on AC does place a small amount of extra load on the main crank pulley (where the AC belt attaches) but it's such a small amount that I would be very surprised if it would affect the way you downshift.

Without AC you would have to be rev matching so perfectly that when you turn on it on that tiny amount of extra stress would cause the RPM's to drop such a small fraction of an amount faster that it would mess up your rev matching....you are either

A: A robot

B: related to Mario Andretti

Kidding aside, try rev matching at a slightly higher rev depending on your speed/gear, if that gets rid of the thunk then you'll know it's the AC.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

i find shifting is a little jerky with the ac on so i just compensate by pressing the the gas pedal down a little more
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
its the CDV take it out
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

you need to give more throttle and rev the engine up more before you shift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
kind of hard to describle, but when the ac is on and I downshift and let out the clutch, it seems to clunk a little or not let out as smoothly..maybe this has to do with the load on the engine and i'm not matching rev's good enough? anyone else know what I'm talking about?
      07-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Yes there is a small difference when you use AC.

Solution: shift faster

And get rid of the stupid CDV.
      07-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
i find shifting is a little jerky with the ac on so i just compensate by pressing the the gas pedal down a little more
I think 'jerky' is a better description of what I'm experiencing..like when I don't exactly rev match well enough (or at all ) at lower speeds and just shift down from 4th to 3rd and let out clutch.. I do really need to get rid of that CDV.. is BAVAUTO the best place to get a hollowed out one?
thanks!

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxcolt View Post
Turning on AC does place a small amount of extra load on the main crank pulley (where the AC belt attaches) but it's such a small amount that I would be very surprised if it would affect the way you downshift.

Without AC you would have to be rev matching so perfectly that when you turn on it on that tiny amount of extra stress would cause the RPM's to drop such a small fraction of an amount faster that it would mess up your rev matching....you are either

A: A robot

B: related to Mario Andretti

Kidding aside, try rev matching at a slightly higher rev depending on your speed/gear, if that gets rid of the thunk then you'll know it's the AC.
hes right, with the ac on the load causes the engine to drop rpm a tiny bit faster

ull have to either a: shift faster and let the clutch out faster before the revs drop, or b: rev a bit higher to compensate for the rpm drop