E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Opinion on bumper repairs and dealer vs shop

07-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
AdeasTridae
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi, Jet Black

Opinion on bumper repairs and dealer vs shop

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum category - seemed like the detail/repair category was much more detailing oriented, and wanted a general opinion.

Anyways, two questions for people:

1) My friend's daughter clipped my rear end last weekend and I have a pretty solid set of scraping down the right outside part of my bumper. She also clipped the quarter panel and the gas door, which will need to be repaired. My bigger question is on the bumper - is it okay to just get it repaired, or do most people go for a whole new bumper? The damage is basically all to the paint - it's down to the primer, with a bit of abrasion but nothing super deep. Really, the main cost difference I've gotten in the estimates is the price for a new bumper - labor ends up being about the same.

Only complicating factor - I have a small gouge on the rear of the bumper from where someone's license plate bolts got me. Not super bad - maybe 1" long, not too deep. Just wondering if the bondoing will be that bad long term for something like that.

So then, question 2!

2) Do most people get their repairs done at a shop or at the dealer? The quotes from the dealer and shop are about the same, so i'm leaning towards dealer just because I can take it back if there are issues, plus they will do a loaner car (vs having to get a rental). Anyone have any opinions on that?

Thanks in advance! And I appreciate everyone's advice!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
pictures would help but I think repair is probably sufficient if its just some scrapes.

if the quotes are pretty much equal, I would just go to the dealer to get the free loaner since having to go elsewhere to get a rental can be a pain!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just got a paint job at a insurance repaus shop. Wrong metallic! Ended up with a bronze tinted finish. Had to drive 150 miles to BMW. Certified collision repair center (NOT every dealer)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

I've had bumpers repainted at a local body shop a couple of times, both came out looking like factory job, couldn't tell they'd even been touched.
Appreciate 0