E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > if you discovered damage on your CPO car, how would you handle it?

07-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

if you discovered damage on your CPO car, how would you handle it?

I am seeking the forum's excellent opinions. there are lot of people here with lots of knowledge so here it goes. by the way, i am pissed about this.

I just found out that on my driver side door aluminum chrome trim right under the window is not flush with the door. Meaning the trim itself isnt damaged but the rubber foundation underneath that is holding the trim is budging out in one place like a sore thumb. it is causing the trim to bulge out in the middle and the trim's groove is out of place in that area.

so I looked further into it and found that rubber cannot be pushed back, as if somewhere inside of the door is bent (none outside visible) and preventing the rubber piece to go all the way in.

i know i dont have pics (sorry) but to best help explain is its the rubber molding right outside of the driverside door window which is supposed to be plugged all the way into the gap where window is (only leaving enough gap for the window itself can go in and out of it).

this was something that I did not look when I bought the car nor did I really pay attention to it when I drove the car. i am suspecting that the car's driver side door was in accident before I bought the car and the dealership did a quick fix and somewhere inside is still bent, pushing the rubber molding up. I tried all kinds of conventional fix but it would not budge. it causes the aluminum trim to bulge upward on that spot so the trim is not attached all around, only about 60% of it is actually fitted in the groove around it.

sorry if this is hard to understand but the point is I believe this is something that was there when I bought the car. I always garage my car so no one could have messed with it. there are no marks indicating that someone was trying to pry it open. even if someone tried to do that and lifted it up, it should then go back in but fundamentally there is some metal parts that is crooked and blocking it from being fixed.

would this be something I could take it upto the SA with? I do have pretty good relationship with him but how would you guys handle this... hope none of you had to go through anything like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Talk to the dealership you bought from
They will fix it for you dedicatedly
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

Did you ask for a carfax take to a mechanic for unbiased opinion?

The above is a preventative step to look for this but honestly this is the sheer benefit of buying a used car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

picture?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Talk to your SA and see what he can do. Unfortunately that issue is not covered under the CPO warranty.
      07-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
jw95275
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S5

Check the DIY section for removal of trim and bend it back in shape?

I would try casually bringing it with SA up next time you're in the shop, so it's not the main item, but something of note to look at.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

thanks everyone. I went to the dealer and they told me that since the bulging rubber part (that holds the aluminum trim - which is undamaged) has metal rod lining under it, in order to straighten out it will have to involve disassembling the door. so SA told me since its not a covered item, they have to charge me and just get me a new part....

oh well. I guess an indy shop might do it for a cheaper price and more willingly.
Appreciate 0