E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i: weird passenger side rattle?

07-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
banky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

335i: weird passenger side rattle?

during idle, if i just quickly tap the gas to 3k and get off, theres a weird, small rattle coming from the passenger side. im not asking you guys to diagnose or anything but is this something i can take in for warranty? its loud enough to hear with the radio off and windows down but you probably wouldnt hear it even with a little music playing. driving seems normal and no messages/alerts. it almost sounds like theres a screw bouncing around somewhere but its definitely metal to metal rattle and its inconsistent. it wont happen alllll the time and also happens during driving.

am i just being really paranoid? can i take this in for warranty or even have them look at it? i feel like they'd just laugh at me.

incoming video if i can.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Haus_07
E85 is my friend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335

Turbo's are on the passenger side, and so are the wastegates and wastegate actuators that rattle just like you described on a very high percentage of 335i's. Normally not a performance reducing problem, however, can be extremely annoying. Especially since you have now heard it once, your going to be much more sensitive to that noise. If it's under warranty, take it to the dealer and they will take care of it. Very well known and documented issue by not only the vehicle owners, but the dealerships as well. Most of the time it's an easy fix, but sometimes becomes more involved (as far as the repair/parts required/labor) depending on which part of the turbo assembly is doing the rattling. Do a search on this site for "wastegate rattle", and you'll see what I'm talking about. :0)
//sparkling graphite metallic // sport package // logic 7 // m-tech wheel // HID fogs // LED angels // M3 style CF hood // matte black kindney's // AFE DCI // kittyless DP's // custom SS exhaust // Godspeed FMIC // 15ohm JB4// DV Mod //
Appreciate 0