E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AFE and EVOTECH done! 330i

05-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
Eastmeetswest
Banned
Rep
Drives: 330i

AFE and EVOTECH done! 330i

So I read through that longggg ass 990 post thread about all the evotech crap and still had no idea what the gains were. Even Dynocomp in AZ who list almost all the Bimmers gains do not list the e90 330-so I was skeptical.

The AFE went on first and then they did the tune. Tune was 850 or so and intake was 400 or so.

All I can say is WOW. I have been surfing these boareds non-stop trying to read as much as I can about tuning/chipping and intakes and such-and SOOO many people claiming to be experts say there is NO way any increases, especially ones you feel are possible with a tune and intake.

Well unless they drive it-that is just complete BS. Now I was told evotech has dyno sheets for the 330 listing 19whp gains. AFE has 6.5whp gains on their dyno sheets. So that is atleats 30 crank hp according to THEIR figures-but WHO CARES.

Probably not that much hp-but what it did was COMPLETELY change my car and change the experience for the better. The biggest complaint with the 330 was being so laggy from a stop and into second gear where it then picked up (I have step so maybe different for you M6s)-but no joke this car pulls pretty damn hard now and now it pulls right at that low-end power and keeps pulling strong into second-with no lag right up front or between 1st and 2nd which I found everytime.

Basically from a stand or out of 1st I never felt it being that quick or me being pushed into the seat-now it definetly gives you a push (not saying I am blown back in my seat here but noticable). High end and higher speeds show no real change to me. Which is fine because after 90mph I do not do a heck of a lot of driving or maybe it is just not noticable.

Also what is nice is the power seems to be gained through most all the RPM range from 0 to 7k or whatever it is and that makes you feel the constant and consistent pull.

Also-maybe very little hp was GAINED but maybe the 258 crank hp was being poorly utlitized or our throttle body action was delayed or not responsive. So even with little hp gains-the drivablity of this car is night and day. Maybe chipping just made the engine work more effective. Whatever the case-and I could care less what the HP numbers end up being-it is DEFINETLY worth it. Love the AFE sound as well.

What are stock Auto 330's pulling on a dyno-I do not have a base run to compare so would like someone to post a few numbers and I will post a dyno sheet after the afe and tune.

Theoretically based on their numbers you can see a 25whp from this-which is 30 at the crank-288 Crank HP in a 330-not bad. Probably not but hey you gotta drive it and you WILL be a believer.

I am shocked not more people have done this, especially since everyone is power hungry. This curbed my appetite for the 335 which I am sure is much quicker but to be honest the 330 was just NOT a fast fun car to drive but now it IS. Dont take my word for it-go try it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

damn i want a chip now..i got the afe and ikon exhuast...you think it is actually worth it? have u raced any cars with the chip? if so which ones im very curious..im dead even right now with a e36 stock and b5 s4(01 model)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastmeetswest View Post
So I read through that longggg ass 990 post thread about all the evotech crap and still had no idea what the gains were. Even Dynocomp in AZ who list almost all the Bimmers gains do not list the e90 330-so I was skeptical.

The AFE went on first and then they did the tune. Tune was 850 or so and intake was 400 or so.

All I can say is WOW. I have been surfing these boareds non-stop trying to read as much as I can about tuning/chipping and intakes and such-and SOOO many people claiming to be experts say there is NO way any increases, especially ones you feel are possible with a tune and intake.

Well unless they drive it-that is just complete BS. Now I was told evotech has dyno sheets for the 330 listing 19whp gains. AFE has 6.5whp gains on their dyno she ver the case-and I could care less what the HP numbers end up being-it is DEFINETLY worth it. Love the AFE sound as well.

What are stock Auto 330's pulling on a dyno-I do not have a base run to compare so would like someone to post a few numbers and I will post a dyno sheet after the afe and tune.

Theoretically based on their numbers you can see a 25whp from this-which is 30 at the crank-288 Crank HP in a 330-not bad. Probably not but hey you gotta drive it and you WILL be a believer.

I am shocked not more people have done this, especially since everyone is power hungry. This curbed my appetite for the 335 which I am sure is much quicker but to be honest the 330 was just NOT a fast fun car to drive but now it IS. Dont take my word for it-go try it out.

I have couple of things to say to this:

1. you can't add the hp gains from mods it just doesn't work that way

2. Make sure there is an A/F ratio printed out on your dyno sheet because the one EVOtech tuned car I've seen ran SUPER lean.

3. The EVOtech listings for HP gains have shown to be optimistic

4. If you get 25whp I'll be really happy for you but I don't think you will see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
imo... the best experience is knowing for sure your dollars spent yielded a decent amount of gains (we're not expecting much anyways)

however, if your in it for the sound (intake) then you don't really need the dyno and there's nothing wrong with that.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
esbezee92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego 328i Coupe

hope its true, only way to find out is to dyno
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

the dynos await you!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Eastmeetswest
Banned
Rep

Ok guys don't even start with the "that is impossible gains" type stuff-NOT the point of this threat at all-I tried to say as many timse as possible that their probably are NOT that big a gains. But I do not think 25-30 crank HP is out of the question. They already tested the A/F using some other gadget on the exhaust while driving and was as set by evotech and fine.

The point of the thread-unless you are a pure racer or need to "beat" lots of cars. The throttle response and "pull are worth it alone. You are not understanding-there are PLENTY of posts debating the HP gains.

What should not be in debate-since I dug this info up on the forum is the established 6.5hp gain on the AFE intake-I think atleast 2 inde's got numbers close from this from members.

No established inde data on the chip from what I could find.

Anyway I will post dyno results in a couple weeks which is when I am going in-but again this is one of those things if you own a 330i-I PROMISE you will be happy unless you just drove a 335 or something-remmeber life is all relative.

What my point was the no-lag, way better throttle response and quickness at the low-end-horsepower or not makes DRIVING a heck of a lot more fun-which is why I believe 90 percent of us bought these cars-not for a numbers game.

The whole thing is often someone will post a gain of not very much on a dyno-but I am failing to think of an analogy but not everything can go by a number. Maybe we do not "get a hold of" the full 258 horses from stock and the tune unleashes power to where needed-or maybe it is stuck at higher speeds and this unleashes down to lower speeds where more noticable.

Anyway I dont want to argue or start a "b.s" thread-only thing I am claiming is its FUN. I got up at 2AM just to drive my car last night. To me that alone, and the fact that I can get wheel spin with no other changes-from simply flooring the gas (no holding break an revving to 2k rpms or anything)-and I could not before shows me a torque diff.

That is the other thing-which is not possible-but a gain of more torque than hp? But I think all torque gains factor to some kind of hp gain so not sure if that can be true.

Anyway if you are somewhat disapointed in your 330 fun-to-drive factor which I am sure you are not since they are fun-get the download!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

sure, if it was satisfaction guaranteed or money back. Otherwise, we can't just go out and 'try it' for $$$$

Quote:
Dont take my word for it-go try it out.
      05-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

if u post a dyno u "might shut people up" (o wait no that doesnt happen) but if u feel happier thats great im glad ur enjoying it, u should try to time ur 0-60 to see if it changed in anyway and what ur feeling is just not all mental...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
we're not arguing! i don't care about the intake... i just want to see what you get from the evotech!

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Eastmeetswest
Banned
Rep

Last night I did some self 0-60 runs with a timer-very inaccurate surely but did three runs in 70 degree weather or so. Got between 5.9-6.2 seconds each time (5.9 being best and 6.2 being worst. I never tried it before this mod so I do not know the stock 0-60-does anyone have these numbers or have tried it themselves on a stock 330?

I would like to get something more accurate-is there any tool for measuring 0-60s out there?

Yes excited about the dyno but in a way not. I am so pleased and having so much fun it will be a let down to see not much gain if that happens-since the important thing is what you "think" and not what really is if you are not a racer. However the tempt and not knowing would kill me.

Problem is guys I need some stock steptronic dyno numbers before I go in so I know what I am comparing to-can someone post those if you have done it yourself or if there is a link to one? Preferably bone stock since even an intake or exhaust can add something and I truly want to see what this setup gained.

Side note-Drove a 335i last night. Really fun and fast but not the "blow you back in your seat" experience I was expecting based on the hype. We did not race and his car was definetly quicker but it was not so much so that when I got in mine it felt slow so that is good news. Anyone else like the body styling of the e90 much better?

Ok give me some stock dyno's
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #12
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

u might find some if u search....( i would do it for u bro but im lazy right now)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

5.9 is a horrible time. u wasted your money. I can beat you and i have an exhaust and an intake.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
Bernardo22
B RSTORD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver 330i SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Last night I did some self 0-60 runs with a timer-very inaccurate surely but did three runs in 70 degree weather or so. Got between 5.9-6.2 seconds each time (5.9 being best and 6.2 being worst. I never tried it before this mod so I do not know the stock 0-60-does anyone have these numbers or have tried it themselves on a stock 330?

I would like to get something more accurate-is there any tool for measuring 0-60s out there?

Yes excited about the dyno but in a way not. I am so pleased and having so much fun it will be a let down to see not much gain if that happens-since the important thing is what you "think" and not what really is if you are not a racer. However the tempt and not knowing would kill me.

Problem is guys I need some stock steptronic dyno numbers before I go in so I know what I am comparing to-can someone post those if you have done it yourself or if there is a link to one? Preferably bone stock since even an intake or exhaust can add something and I truly want to see what this setup gained.

Side note-Drove a 335i last night. Really fun and fast but not the "blow you back in your seat" experience I was expecting based on the hype. We did not race and his car was definetly quicker but it was not so much so that when I got in mine it felt slow so that is good news. Anyone else like the body styling of the e90 much better?

Ok give me some stock dyno's

Was this time with DTC off?
      05-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #15
Eastmeetswest
Banned
Rep

Woops-well that probably woulda helped launch me-not DTS huh-will try that tonight. Also dude-5.9 is not a horrible time for these cars. Stock is listed at like 6.5 or something for the step. Also this was with a hand timer and me using it-very innacurate.

I would be more than happy with sub 6 second times consistently. 5.9 is a solid launch and more than fast enough for me. Were you serisou that 5.9 is a crappy time? I thought knocking 6/10s from their listed 0-60 was pretty good. I will have to get something more accurate-anything better to measure?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Of all the threads on this topic, yours seems to be one of the more thought-out ones. I appreciate your input.

Now, if you'll "lend" me 800 bucks, I'll verify your findings!

GJ, brudduh!

Last edited by Chesmu; 05-04-2007 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #17
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Hey Chesmu, still waiting for the Gruppe M rep?
      05-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
Hey Chesmu, still waiting for the Gruppe M rep?
Still waiting.....
      05-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #19
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesmu View Post
Of all the threads on this topic, yours seems to be one of the more thought-out ones. I appreciate your input.

Now, if you'll "lend" me 800 bucks, I'll verify your findings!

GJ, brudduh!
+1! i'm all for the study of science. 2 confirmations are better than 1
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #20
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Ok guys don't even start with the "that is impossible gains" type stuff-NOT the point of this threat at all-I tried to say as many timse as possible that their probably are NOT that big a gains. But I do not think 25-30 crank HP is out of the question. They already tested the A/F using some other gadget on the exhaust while driving and was as set by evotech and fine.

The point of the thread-unless you are a pure racer or need to "beat" lots of cars. The throttle response and "pull are worth it alone. You are not understanding-there are PLENTY of posts debating the HP gains.

What should not be in debate-since I dug this info up on the forum is the established 6.5hp gain on the AFE intake-I think atleast 2 inde's got numbers close from this from members.

No established inde data on the chip from what I could find.

Anyway I will post dyno results in a couple weeks which is when I am going in-but again this is one of those things if you own a 330i-I PROMISE you will be happy unless you just drove a 335 or something-remmeber life is all relative.

What my point was the no-lag, way better throttle response and quickness at the low-end-horsepower or not makes DRIVING a heck of a lot more fun-which is why I believe 90 percent of us bought these cars-not for a numbers game.

The whole thing is often someone will post a gain of not very much on a dyno-but I am failing to think of an analogy but not everything can go by a number. Maybe we do not "get a hold of" the full 258 horses from stock and the tune unleashes power to where needed-or maybe it is stuck at higher speeds and this unleashes down to lower speeds where more noticable.

Anyway I dont want to argue or start a "b.s" thread-only thing I am claiming is its FUN. I got up at 2AM just to drive my car last night. To me that alone, and the fact that I can get wheel spin with no other changes-from simply flooring the gas (no holding break an revving to 2k rpms or anything)-and I could not before shows me a torque diff.

That is the other thing-which is not possible-but a gain of more torque than hp? But I think all torque gains factor to some kind of hp gain so not sure if that can be true.

Anyway if you are somewhat disapointed in your 330 fun-to-drive factor which I am sure you are not since they are fun-get the download!
I didn't mean to rain on your parade, the fact that you can tell a difference and are having fun with it is all that matters. I'm also relieved to hear your A/F ratio is in a good range, that was one of my main concerns.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 01:51 AM   #21
sajewiczmd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 911 C4 Cabriolet

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
hey eastwest,

just checked dynocomp's website, cant find anything for a e90 330, just the 325. did u call them about it??? maybe their upgrades are available, but not on the site yet. please let me know because i have a 330xi which could use a little more pep. like morning coffee for me....

thanks

I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #22
Eastmeetswest
Banned
Rep

Yup call them-I actually got it done at another big Bimmer place here but Evotech does them in house and you can ship your ECU to them. The place I went to ships it to Florida to get it done-bottom line they both and any place pretty much you go to "chip" your bmw 330 will use Evotech which is a german company who created the download. Call up evotech and you can ship them your ECU or go there yourself if you are in AZ.

I live here so if anyone needs something from there-I am going to dyno there on wednesday so let me know
Appreciate 0