E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How to get around this?

12-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
ALPANDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M-Sport

How to get around this?

I have seen a car I am very interested in, in fact it ticks all of my criteria boxes. The problem I have though is that I live in Nottingham and the car is 114 miles away in Maidenhead! Logistically this makes things very difficult for me as I have very little spare time on my hands. Has anyone else made a long distance deal? I would have to negotiate over the phone. The car is approaved used, will they bring the vehicle to me do you think? Also how does the part ex situation work?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
gsm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d SE Touring

I have bought my last 3 cars over the phone without seeing them,
all BMW.
If it not as described don't accept and walk away requesting your deposit back.
My new car is being delivered tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I've bought two new vehicles over the phone without setting foot in the dealers. I wouldn't do it for used though.

If it isn't as described (eg dent, scratch) so not a warranty item, but still something they are prepared to fix, then you still have the problem of sending the car back for repair.

Otoh you need to weigh that against the difficulty in finding a used car with the functions you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Personally I would never consider buying a car without seeing and driving it.

You can't assume because it's approved used it's going to meet your standards.

Maybe worth asking if someone here either knows the car, or has or willing to pop along for a quick look first before you waste the best part of a day going back and forward.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
ChubbsBmth
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport - NOW SOLD

I would never rule out travelling to buy a car as cars seem to be differently priced according to where they sell and it opens up alot more choice.

I travelled to NI to buy an Approved used car under the proviso that if it wasnt as described they would refund my travel costs and deposit.

When you buying a car through BMW though you hope they can manage to describe it accurately and its in their interest if they know you are travelling as it will cause them more problems than its worth if they have lied.

The week before I picked mine up, they refurbed the wheels and were only going to do the one, but ended up doing 2 just to make sure as they werent quite happy with the other one I am sure thats because they knew I was travelling a distance to collect.

To date I absolutely love the car!
NOW SOLD - Counting down to the M3 - E92 May 07' 335i M-Sport - Sapphire Black - Manual - Black Leather Interior - Heated Seats - Bluetooth Handsfree - BMW Performance Black Grill - 19's - Saying No to the Diesel Revolution!

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I'd never buy a car without going over it with a fine tooth comb.

JuSt take some time out to just do that!
      12-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Boz335i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Is the car at Sytner Maidenhead? If so, go into Sytner Nottingham and do a deal subject to inspection. They will get the car in for you.

I did something similar, I wanted a 335i with DCT and at the time there was only 1 used one in the country. I went into Sytner Leicester and the car was at BMW in Bristol, I did the deal with a deposit and got the dealer to sell it to me "subject to anything I don't like at all" and got him to write it on the contract.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

The last 3 cars i have bought have all been between 120 and 150 miles away, 2 were private sales and 1 was from a trader.

In all situations, I asked the seller to be as honest as possible with regards to the cars, making it clear that I would walk away if they were not as described - each seller went round the car and pointed out any shortcomings. Obviously I got them to clarify service history, tax, MOT status etc beforehand as well.

I then negotiated prices over the phone on the basis that the cars were as described and have been happy with all 3 purchases.

Personally, i wouldent let distance stop you buying the car you want, especially as you are buying an AUC which should (hopefully) be prepped to the highest standards.

Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
ALPANDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz335i View Post
Is the car at Sytner Maidenhead? If so, go into Sytner Nottingham and do a deal subject to inspection. They will get the car in for you.

I did something similar, I wanted a 335i with DCT and at the time there was only 1 used one in the country. I went into Sytner Leicester and the car was at BMW in Bristol, I did the deal with a deposit and got the dealer to sell it to me "subject to anything I don't like at all" and got him to write it on the contract.
Unfortunately its not Sytner as this thought had crossed my mind. The dealership is called 'Arden'.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
ALPANDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhu1 View Post
The last 3 cars i have bought have all been between 120 and 150 miles away, 2 were private sales and 1 was from a trader.

In all situations, I asked the seller to be as honest as possible with regards to the cars, making it clear that I would walk away if they were not as described - each seller went round the car and pointed out any shortcomings. Obviously I got them to clarify service history, tax, MOT status etc beforehand as well.

I then negotiated prices over the phone on the basis that the cars were as described and have been happy with all 3 purchases.

Personally, i wouldent let distance stop you buying the car you want, especially as you are buying an AUC which should (hopefully) be prepped to the highest standards.

Good luck!!!
This make sense, but you have to put an awful amount of trust in the person on the phone. I also know from experience some peoples idea of mint condition and mine are two very different things. I need to part exchange my car too, do you think the dealer will be prepared to do a deal based on what I tell them?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPANDY View Post
This make sense, but you have to put an awful amount of trust in the person on the phone. I also know from experience some peoples idea of mint condition and mine are two very different things. I need to part exchange my car too, do you think the dealer will be prepared to do a deal based on what I tell them?
In all honesty, I was on the lookout for a fair amount of time before each car came up and in my situations, the cars were all very low mileage and had the spec I was looking for, so it was a case of going for it (with a fair buy price) or waiting in the hope that something else would come-up that would meet my criteria. Perhaps i was just lucky that the condition was as described...

With regards to your Q, I think the dealer will def give you a value based on what you tell him and like you, would adjust the price if the car was slighlty different to description given over the phone. Although, a dealer is probably less likely to be fussed about little dings etc as they can sort them a lot cheaper being in the trade.

I really wouldent worry too much mate, you are buying an AUC which should be bang on the money!! I would weigh up your decision based on how likely it is that another car that meets your criteria comes up soon i.e. if you are looking for a needle in a haystack and have now found one, I would go for it
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

Arden? in Maidenhead? Do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
No problem securing the car with a depo. As said if you don't like it 100% the dealer will refund it. Remember you're not buying it, you securing it until you view it.

I secured a car 300 miles away, then rejected it after a road test.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I remember going to look at a 3 month old Honda CRV a few years back. Was only about 30 miles to travel but dealer told me it was their demo and immaculate, sounded exactly what I wanted. Arrived to find deep scratches the full length of both sides. Enquired as to how he considered the car immaculate to which he told me their sales manager lived up a tight hedge lined lane and thus the scratches but they will polish out. So why haven't you polished them out before now if it is so easy was my reply followed swiftly by goodbye.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #15
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

> "subject to anything I don't like at all"

Legendary contract clause! Well done, I'll remember that one
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #16
Snakes
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F33 MSport 435d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPANDY View Post
Unfortunately its not Sytner as this thought had crossed my mind. The dealership is called 'Arden'.
I may be missing something but I can't find a used car dealership called Arden in Maidenhead. There's a BMW dealership called Arden but that is in Maidstone - 3 hours away from you.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #17
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I've bought from Arden Maidstone, they are 18 miles from me.

Ask for Justin king, he will be happy to refund a depo if you're not 100% happy. I have his email if you want it? PM me.

If you want me to talk to him on you behalf and get a genuine idea of the condition?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #18
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

My current car was from a private sale over 200 miles away. I did plenty of research, spoke to the seller on the phone a number of times and also spent £250 on an independent inspection by a local company. After that I booked a return train ticket up there and was quite happy to have wasted the time a money if the car wasn't right for me, I was fully prepared to come home empty handed. As it happens, I was more than happy and bought the car and I've been happy ever since
      12-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #19
mistry
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

You are covered by the distance selling regulations when buying from a dealer. you actually have more rights then if you brought it in person.

If you don't like it you just send it back, you don't need any excuse. However you will be liable to the costs of returning the car, and any mileage you put on it (and if you damage it)

I've brought a couple of cars this way, and been happy both times.

Not sure I'd do the same for a private sale
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #20
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Make the time to go and see the car.

If new, then no issues, but I GUARANTEE there will be something that needs doing - not enough to warrant rejecting it, but you'll have to faff about getting it sorted via another dealer etc.

When I bought the M6 (used), I went all the way up to Norwich (from Surrey), and also refused (against much pressure) to place a deposit until I was there.

They had described the car as perfect. Face to face I negotiated the following:

Refurbish an alloy
Polish out 2 scratches on the wing
Replace the mats
Provide a new Navigation DVD
Update the idrive software
Replace soft close door motor drivers side (this would probably have been sorted in pre sale prep but you never know)
Full tank of fuel
Car delivered
Replace under bonnet insulation as it had shrunk (they STILL didn't do this, bodged it, and ended up having to pay my local dealer to supply one)

I'd never place a deposit on a used car without seeing it - it weakens your negotiating position terribly.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #21
ALPANDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I've bought from Arden Maidstone, they are 18 miles from me.

Ask for Justin king, he will be happy to refund a depo if you're not 100% happy. I have his email if you want it? PM me.

If you want me to talk to him on you behalf and get a genuine idea of the condition?
Yes the dealer is Arden Maidstone, my apologies for the mix up. Do you know this Justin King fella personally and have you had dealings with Arden Maidstone yourself? pm sent.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #22
Boz335i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
> "subject to anything I don't like at all"

Legendary contract clause! Well done, I'll remember that one
Thanks,

Salesmen will do more or less ANYTHING for a sale.
I once got a double glazing company to remove some trees in the garden for me to clinch a deal.
Appreciate 0