E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW new warranty/AUC warranty.

01-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
BMW new warranty/AUC warranty.

How does the warranty work when buying a used car whilst still under the original 3yr new car warranty.

Example:
You buy a 1 yr old car through a BMW dealer which gives you a 1yr AUC warranty.
The used car you've just purchased has 2 yrs left of the original warranty remaining.

Does the 1 year AUC warranty in effect extend the original warranty by one year,making the new warranty 3 yrs from the day you purchase the used car?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
No, you just get the remaining 2 years warranty then the opportunity to extend at the end of the 3 year period.

Unless you can negotiate differently.
      01-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
No, you just get the remaining 2 years warranty then the opportunity to extend at the end of the 3 year period.

Unless you can negotiate differently.
So the AUC warranty is worth cock all?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
You get the benefit of the manufacturers warranty which is better than the AUC warranty don't you?
      01-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
You get the benefit of the manufacturers warranty which is better than the AUC warranty don't you?
You get that anyway Will (manufacturers warranty),for the remaining two yrs as in my example above.

If as you say the AUC warranty does NOT extend the original 3 yr warranty term,the benefit of an AUC warranty is only of any benefit to buyers of BMW's that are 3yrs or older.

So if you're buying a used BMW that is less than 3yrs old the AUC warranty is pointless,worthless and not worth shouting about as BMW do.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Surely if you buy a car 2.5 years old from BMW you will get 6 months manufacturers warranty then 6 month AUC warranty. As you say though, if the car is 2 years old or newer it's work Jack as you have the remainders manufactureres warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME
Surely if you buy a car 2.5 years old from BMW you will get 6 months manufacturers warranty then 6 month AUC warranty. As you say though, if the car is 2 years old or newer it's work Jack as you have the remainders manufactureres warranty.
But then do you extend the warranty which also negates the auc on a 2.5 year old car?

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
Surely if you buy a car 2.5 years old from BMW you will get 6 months manufacturers warranty then 6 month AUC warranty.
That's really the question though BT,would you get what you are suggesting?

AUC warranty is 1yr, so in your example you should get 6mths of the original warranty which is your right,plus a further 1 yr,surely?

Why restrict it to a 2.5yr old car,what about a 2yr old car?I could go on.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

On BMW you only get remaining warranty or 1 year AUC, whichever is longer.

This is in contrast to Porsche, who now give a 2 year approved warranty ON TOP of anything remaining....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

You get a minimum of 1 year warranty.
  • If it's got >1 year new car warranty remaining, you don't get any AUC warranty.
  • If it's got <1 year new car warranty, it's 'topped up' to 1 year with AUC.
  • If it's got no new car warranty, you just get 1 year of AUC.
As you say, the only real reason to buy a car <2 years old as AUC is for the other benefits you get from a dealer, like finance and part-ex - warranty's irrelevant. If you're buying outright with cash, you'll get a better deal privately I'd think.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #11
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
You get a minimum of 1 year warranty.
  • If it's got >1 year new car warranty remaining, you don't get any AUC warranty.
  • If it's got <1 year new car warranty, it's 'topped up' to 1 year with AUC.
  • If it's got no new car warranty, you just get 1 year of AUC.
As you say, the only real reason to buy a car <2 years old as AUC is for the other benefits you get from a dealer, like finance and part-ex - warranty's irrelevant. If you're buying outright with cash, you'll get a better deal privately I'd think.
Well summarised.

Ian, I think your comments above are spot on. BMW rave about the AUC but sometimes it's not even relevant to the car. Additionally (and worse) not all dealers perform the AUC checks properly and adhere to the standards.

In my experience AUC doesn't mean s**t and I add no value to it whatsoever. Though sometimes you can get 2 yrs AUC warranty which on cars > 2 yrs old might be good value depending on total price paid.

Last edited by Ant Man; 01-24-2012 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #12
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post

In my experience AUC doesNT mean s**t and I add no value to it whatsoever. Though sometimes you can get 2 yrs AUC warranty which on cars > 2 yrs old might be good value depending on total price paid.
Edited that for you, and a very big +1

Dealer in South London claimed a "perfect" car had poor repair to rear bumper with overspray, lost V5, poorly repaired alloys and a scratch to the wing.

My "perfect" M6 that needed nothing doing to it, and I refused to put a deposit on until I had seen it, got the following negotiated in the price:

New under bonnet insulation sheet
Refurb one alloy
new black trim on steering wheel
re-align front bumper
polish mark on wing

plus
update smg software - claimed done already, but not.
update nav software - claimed done already, but not.

When the car was delivered they had bodged the under bonnet insulation and had to order it from a local dealer.

So, the message is buy a car with warranty privately!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Well summarised.

Ian, I think your comments above are spot on. BMW rave about the AUC but sometimes it's not even relevant to the car. Additionally (and worse) not all dealers perform the AUC checks properly and adhere to the standards.

In my experience AUC doesn't mean s**t and I add no value to it whatsoever. Though sometimes you can get 2 yrs AUC warranty which on cars > 2 yrs old might be good value depending on total price paid.
It does seem very,very poor Ant,and I only thought of the scenario after probs with my car yesterday (battery,hopefully) and all the warnings going off.
My car was purchased s/hand at approx 8mths old, and rather naively thought that I would still have some mths still covered,albeit under the AUC warranty.

No where on the BMW site does it talk about this scenario (I could be wrong of course),but I bet a lot of punters think along similar lines to me.

It could of course be that I'm a very blunt knife in the cutlery draw
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

You are mate
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
It does seem very,very poor Ant,and I only thought of the scenario after probs with my car yesterday (battery,hopefully) and all the warnings going off.
My car was purchased s/hand at approx 8mths old, and rather naively thought that I would still have some mths still covered,albeit under the AUC warranty.

No where on the BMW site does it talk about this scenario (I could be wrong of course),but I bet a lot of punters think along similar lines to me.

It could of course be that I'm a very blunt knife in the cutlery draw
Low voltage / flat batteries do create a number of issues such as clocks not keeping time, radio defaulting to mute and to radio, mirrors forgetting their preset glass position.

This week I was reading BMW own literature regarding the AUC warrantly when the factory warranty was still valid, i.e. when they overlapped and what did it actually mean for the buyer. It might have been in the AUC folder that comes with the car? In your case, of little relevance as your AUC warranty never started but the wording might be helpful.
Appreciate 0