E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > engineered to feel this way?

02-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
JonDiesel@ColemanAutobody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

engineered to feel this way?

I\'ve heard a lot of times cars \'engineered\' to feel like they handle well, and cars that just handle well. I come from an 04 maxima before this, had some suspension work done with summer tires and stock 18s. th suspension definitely added some \'crispness\' to the feel, but i still feel the 335 is more \'rubbery\' in the rear end around high speed corners especially with bumps. the max was rock solid, idk if anyone else ever noticed this, any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Private First Class
Rep

by the way, the point I was trying to make is maybe that the maxima was engineered to feel more solid, even though it may not handle as well at the limit or communicate as well at least
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

What you just described is in my opinion one of the biggest flaws of this car. Solid rear subframe bushes are a must
      02-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

English.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Switching to non-runflat tires pretty much eliminated this issue on my car. The damned things just do not do well in bumpy turns. Too stiff, and too much unsprung wieght. And these are my winter tires - 16" Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds - they both ride and handle better than the stock 17" Continental RFTs. Just as quiet over 15mph too.

The snows are V-speed rated so they are not as soft-sidewalled as one might think. But far softer than H-rated sidewalls that need to be able to support the weight of the car with no pressure in them. I'm pretty sure I am going to get non-RFTs for summer before they have to go back on, despite the cheapskate in my wanting to get my moneys worth out of them.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Private First Class
Rep

see I always thought switching to non-run flats made the car mushier, I've had customers with some older e90's tell me about this issue. but u understand what you mean about the unsprung weight, gonna do
some searching on here and see what tires people are liking.. I rarely see BMWs with non OEM tires nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Lexor1704
Bimmer Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tanzanite M3

One of the first things I did when I got my car was ditch the run flats. They were horrid on bumps. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's for summer and the Dunlop winter sport 3Ds for winter. I agree the winter tires feel more planted on bumps than the run flats and the Michelins make you want to punch the BMW engineer in the face that though run flats was a good idea.
      02-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
Private First Class
Rep

yeah that isn't the first time I've heard of someone saying something about the ps2's maybe I should look into that... thanks !
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDiesel View Post
yeah that isn't the first time I've heard of someone saying something about the ps2's maybe I should look into that... thanks !
No get the pss (pilot super sport) they are newer and better.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
linlaoboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi 6MT

Jon,

Is yours RWD? On my 07 328xi I don't feel what you describe and I came from an 04 Max too.
      02-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

My '11 E90 definitely feels this way.

I thought it was just the low spring/shock rate in the rear, but it may be the bushings also. There's a nice sweeping right-hander with an easy 'hump' mid-corner, on the way home from work. In the old Benz, the corner was smooth & easy at a decent clip, and the bump was barely noticeable. At the same speed, the rear of the E90 moves quite slowly up/down over the bump (not quite in a controlled manner), and the car feels very unsettled. On glass-smooth pavement, this uneasy feeling isn't there, which led me to think that it was springs/shocks (in play over bumps) rather than bushings (which load up on smooth as well as uneven pavement).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

It is a common misconception that in order to handle well a car needs to have a rock hard suspension. There is a "sweet spot" to suspension stiffness and too stiff can be as detrimental to handling as too soft. It is also necessary to have the correct amount of sidewall flex to generate maximum grip on corners (Google "Slip Angle"). The suspension is supposed to keep the contact patches in contact with the road surface. A poorly sorted out, overly stiff suspension will cause the car to bounce over bumps and the tires to loose contact with the road. This is not a characteristic of what I consider a good handling car.

I had the same issue with my 335 and was able to rectify it by getting rid of the RFTs and replacing the dampers with Koni FSDs.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
It is a common misconception that in order to handle well a car needs to have a rock hard suspension. There is a "sweet spot" to suspension stiffness and too stiff can be as detrimental to handling as too soft. It is also necessary to have the correct amount of sidewall flex to generate maximum grip on corners (Google "Slip Angle"). The suspension is supposed to keep the contact patches in contact with the road surface. A poorly sorted out, overly stiff suspension will cause the car to bounce over bumps and the tires to loose contact with the road. This is not a characteristic of what I consider a good handling car.

I had the same issue with my 335 and was able to rectify it by getting rid of the RFTs and replacing the dampers with Koni FSDs.

CA
Koni FSD have a lower compression weight then stock shocks right? Meaning they are softer.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

in a nut shell, firmer front and softer rear suspension give good turn in response but sacrifice some stability, and vice versa, firmer rear suspension give better stability

Last edited by JuppiOne; 02-02-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

The rear of my car is not confidence inspiring at high speed. This is with koni/swift coilover upgrade and 245/275 summer tires as well.

IMO, these 335s just don't handle well at all unless you throw a lot of money at them
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Koni FSD have a lower compression weight then stock shocks right? Meaning they are softer.

Most shock absorbers are designed to offer a firmer ride OR to maximize ride comfort. And complete computerized systems can deliver both comfort and performance, but at too high a price for the average consumer's vehicle.
The KONI FSD (Frequency Selective Damping) shock combines excellent road holding and handing characteristics with no-compromise comfort levels. It's a two-in-one solution from KONI that doesn't require the installation of sophisticated electronics, cables or sensors. Firmness for sporty driving on even road surfaces. Smoothness for a comfortable ride on uneven road surfaces.
It's possible via KONI's patented Frequency Selective Damping technology - technology that actively controls the damping level on the basis of the vehicle's body and suspension movement frequency. FSD shocks are a smart suspension system that adjusts automatically and in a fraction of a second to road conditions and driving style.
How It Works

In standard shock absorbers the main damping characteristic is defined by the oil flow going through the piston assembly (1).
Combining it with the FSD feature (2), KONI added a special valve that controls an oil flow parallel to the one going through the piston rod (3). This parallel oil flow is closed by the FSD feature, giving a rise in damping force almost linear to the time that the piston is moving in one direction

Put simply: the FSD feature is a hydraulic amplifier that delays the build up of pressure. In some ways an extra tuning option has been created in order to get the best possible combination of handling and comfort.
Since it is an integrated part of the hydraulic valve system inside the damper, no additional cables, sensors or any other electronic devices are needed to operate an FSD damper.

Benefits:
  • Excellent road holding and handing
  • Improved grip
  • Great stability
  • Optimum comfort level
  • Excellent body control
  • Added comfort for low profile tire applications
  • Maximized driving pleasure
  • No electronics, sensors or other components needed
  • Economical, effective solution

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

There is very good info on the E9x suspension harshness issue here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401537

CA

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
dre_2ooo
Rep
Drives: '14 435i

My LSD helped... alot.
Appreciate 0