E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got pulled over by Highway patrol

Closed Thread

04-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Got pulled over by Highway patrol

I was on 280 North....coming home from a Poker game this morning (2 AM). Out of nowhere, a patrol car was behind me with all the lights on. I was told to pulled over on the next off ramp by his loud speakers.

The officer asked me if I knew the reason why I was stopped. I remember someone told me years ago that my answer should always be "NO". He asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I did but my answer was and always be "NO". He told me that I was doing 99.

I quickly remembered that I was on the slow lane since I just got on the freeway a few exit ago. With my best effort, I acted surprise and shock. This was what I said to him. "I am sorry officer. I have no idea I was going that fast. There was no cars around me but a single SUV a few hundred feet in front of me (have no idea what it was... was making it up). I wasn't gaining any ground on him so I didn't pay any attention to the speedometer. I wasn't trying to to speed. That's why I was on the slow lane. I am sorry. I should have put the car in cruise control and I don't know why I didn't do it this time."

He asked me where I was headed and where I was coming from. I told the truth. I told him I was going home after a home game with my friends. He asked me if I had any alcohol beverages. I said "NO" then he had me do the eye test. During the test, I repeated my story and pointed to the piece of Grill Salmon (leftover food from the Poker game) in the passenger seat.

He took my license and Reg and walked back to his patrol car. He came back a minute later and asked me when was the last time I got a speeding ticket. I said "Never". He told me that he wants me to keep my perfect record and ask me how fast will I drive after this. I said "55 and I will set the cruise control". He said " 65 is okay. I will trust you to do this and have a safe drive home. Good night". I was off the hook!!!!

Moral to the story..... If you speed, be on the slow lane. Be in shock and act surprise when he tells you the speed. Apologize sincerely and repeatedly. Never admit to anything. Have a believable story ready-to-go. Lastly..... have a piece of Grill Salmon in the passenger seat and go for the semi-bluff. LOL

I think I was just lucky that he wasn't an A-hole.
      04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Good job brother. Try doing it again with a bottle of empty Old Grandad on the seat and Bourbon on your breath and I'll be impressed
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
jayk877
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
I was on 280 North....coming home from a Poker game this morning (2 AM). Out of nowhere, a patrol car was behind me with all the lights on. I was told to pulled over on the next off ramp by his loud speakers.

The officer asked me if I knew the reason why I was stopped. I remember someone told me years ago that my answer should always be "NO". He asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I did but my answer was and always be "NO". He told me that I was doing 99.

I quickly remembered that I was on the slow lane since I just got on the freeway a few exit ago. With my best effort, I acted surprise and shock. This was what I said to him. "I am sorry officer. I have no idea I was going that fast. There was no cars around me but a single SUV a few hundred feet in front of me (have no idea what it was... was making it up). I wasn't gaining any ground on him so I didn't pay any attention to the speedometer. I wasn't trying to to speed. That's why I was on the slow lane. I am sorry. I should have put the car in cruise control and I don't know why I didn't do it this time."

He asked me where I was headed and where I was coming from. I told the truth. I told him I was going home after a home game with my friends. He asked me if I had any alcohol beverages. I said "NO" then he had me do the eye test. During the test, I repeated my story and pointed to the piece of Grill Salmon (leftover food from the Poker game) in the passenger seat.

He took my license and Reg and walked back to his patrol car. He came back a minute later and asked me when was the last time I got a speeding ticket. I said "Never". He told me that he wants me to keep my perfect record and ask me how fast will I drive after this. I said "55 and I will set the cruise control". He said " 65 is okay. I will trust you to do this and have a safe drive home. Good night". I was off the hook!!!!

Moral to the story..... If you speed, be on the slow lane. Be in shock and act surprise when he tells you the speed. Apologize sincerely and repeatedly. Never admit to anything. Have a believable story ready-to-go. Lastly..... have a piece of Grill Salmon in the passenger seat and go for the semi-bluff. LOL

I think I was just lucky that he wasn't an A-hole.

I would say your last phrase was correct lol I have no respect for cops since 90% are crooked..well at least where im from they are A-holes.... im not saying all of them are BUT a GREAT DEAL are crooked and take advantage of there power.....I only speak from MY experiance!!!!! everyone has there own opinion

* previous cars
2007 335i e90 Jb4, downpipes, intake, magnaflow exhaust, 375+whp
2005 SRT4 big turbo built to hell.. 420+WHP in a 2700 pound car!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Good job brother. Try doing it again with a bottle of empty Old Grandad on the seat and Bourbon on your breath and I'll be impressed
Yeah.... I will be impress as well. LOL
      04-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk877 View Post
[/B]

I would say your last phrase was correct lol I have no respect for cops since 90% are crooked..well at least where im from they are A-holes.... im not saying all of them are BUT a GREAT DEAL are crooked and take advantage of there power.....I only speak from MY experiance!!!!! everyone has there own opinion
Absolute power corrupts absolutely!!!!!
      04-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

The lesson in all this from the OP is "never admit to anything." That's terrible advice. I admitted to doing 52 in a 25, and I didn't get off scott free, but I did get off with 0 instead of 5 points.

imho the point in all of these incidents is if a person learns anything and or the real lesson. I got pulled over by NJSP in a similar scenario back in 2005--that could have been a DUI. My lesson learned is don't drink and drive, because give me a break, it doesn't take anything to be at .08. Yes, it's inconvenient. I don't think the OP got that lesson from his experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Wow.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 e92 335i/e39 540i6

11-99 foundation- end of problems with chp
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzackt View Post
11-99 foundation- end of problems with chp
An earned 11-99 frame, not bought from ebay.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Gator335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E38 E39 E60 E70 E92

I've seen it go both ways. Sometimes if you're honest and up front with the cop then he'll cut you some slack. I've both admitted and denied and I've both been ticketed and given a warning so it really all depends on the cop and the mood that he/she is in that day.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 e92 335i/e39 540i6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Hi.Red.Devil View Post
An earned 11-99 frame, not bought from ebay.
Yes, I don't see the point of spending money on a non legitimate
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
The lesson in all this from the OP is "never admit to anything." That's terrible advice. I admitted to doing 52 in a 25, and I didn't get off scott free, but I did get off with 0 instead of 5 points.

imho the point in all of these incidents is if a person learns anything and or the real lesson. I got pulled over by NJSP in a similar scenario back in 2005--that could have been a DUI. My lesson learned is don't drink and drive, because give me a break, it doesn't take anything to be at .08. Yes, it's inconvenient. I don't think the OP got that lesson from his experience.
Please don't take me wrong.... I am not boasting. I apologize to everyone if I came across this way. This is the first time in my life that an officer let me off the hook. It is a fact that I never gotten a speeding ticket in my life. Other things.... Yes. Speeding ticket....never. I am not promoting nor advising everyone to do this. I just thought this was an amusing story especially after a night of Poker.

As far as admitting to guilt.... this was an advise given to me by a cop friend of mine. Since I have friends who are cops, I do admire and respect what they do. Surely, it is not a job I want to have.

Like I said... I think I was lucky that the officer was not an A-hole.
      04-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

in NY, it all depends on the time of the month and how far along the cop is on his or her ticket quota...

but good job OP.. but not if he ever stops you again...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
ParisF3
PARISF3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
CUTigers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [10.00]
2008 e90 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070

You were doing 52 in a 25. What cop would ever let that go lol. That's over double the speed limit. Was it a school zone also? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
in NY, it all depends on the time of the month and how far along the cop is on his or her ticket quota...

but good job OP.. but not if he ever stops you again...
I sure hope the officer is not an E-90post forum member.
      04-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
[/b]

I have no respect for cops since 90% are crooked..everyone has there own opinion
But you presented your 90% figure as fact - care to provide a reputable source?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Moral to the story..... If you speed, be on the slow lane. Be in shock and act surprise when he tells you the speed. Apologize sincerely and repeatedly. Never admit to anything. Have a believable story ready-to-go.
thats a wrong moral of the story, next time you will most likely get a big ass ticket
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
Moony
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / F32 435i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
great story to read glad you got off the hook
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
jayk877
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
But you presented your 90% figure as fact - care to provide a reputable source?

Tom
My reputable source is MY Experiance and what I have seen...Thats all i will say on that issue.....I also said 90% in my AREA where i live and travel. I see everyday cops that get off work or off duty in there patrol car HAULING ASS home...do you think thats right???? This is just to name one example....You must be one of the blind ppl that think all cops are looking out for the "people" and dont do anything out of line or illegal themselves...Have you ever been to MIAMI, FL???? this is the area im talking about...

* previous cars
2007 335i e90 Jb4, downpipes, intake, magnaflow exhaust, 375+whp
2005 SRT4 big turbo built to hell.. 420+WHP in a 2700 pound car!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328 xdrive

What if the officer is on this forum ??? lol
      04-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
My reputable source is MY Experiance and what I have seen...Thats all i will say on that issue.....I also said 90% in my AREA where i live and travel. I see everyday cops that get off work or off duty in there patrol car HAULING ASS home...do you think thats right???? This is just to name one example....You must be one of the blind ppl that think all cops are looking out for the "people" and dont do anything out of line or illegal themselves...Have you ever been to MIAMI, FL???? this is the area im talking about...
I've visited Miami (probably longer than you have been alive) and prefer the west coast of FL; but that doesn't have anything to do with it. I just asked you for proof of your "fact" and you essentially replied that it is your opinion - which you should have said in the first place.

Tom
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread