E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cool Intake Vid

05-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Might not be 100% but stil so some people can get the idea and keep the new threads of intake questions down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxe...ature=youtu.be
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

This is why I run the OEM box, charcoal delete and OEM paper filters from over the counter for 20 bucks that I change every oil change...There is just no difference to justify the 50 on a K&N (Which ive already had and took out)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

This test is..... useless. Sorry.

Swapping cheap filters on an untuned engine with no air flow to the front of the vehicle is not a proper measurement of horse power gains.

Replacing an OEM filter with a legitimate K&N filter actually does provide gains, but on this car without a tune it wont matter much.

In some instances an OEM box might be better, especially with no fans in the front of the vehicle on the dyno.

I know back in the day me and my buddy bought a cheap $20 cone filter and fitted it onto his 94 ford contour. We were able to feel an increase in power throughout the mid-range and top end. To further prove my point his top speed increased from 98 MPH to 109 MPH LOL

All I'm saying is that this information should be taken with a grain of salt as it highly depends on conditions and platform.

A better test to use is a simple CFM test through different filter mediums, it will show its filtration value as well as its flow value. That is the only controlled test worth talking about.

Its also well known the Subaru's stock intake system is very good and should not be changed unless they plan on going over 300WHP.

Here is a good controlled test of filters:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Appreciate 0