E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELPP!!! white smoke from engine bay

05-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
RPH90
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i e90

HELPP!!! white smoke from engine bay

Hi all,

I have a 2006 320i e90 which has just started to pour smoke from engine bay after being driven for 5 minutes or...I have always had a minor obvious oil leak from the rocker/valve cover gasket which I noticed through the burnt candle smell through the AC.

I have taken it to a mechanic and he believes that they need to replace the brake vacuum pump, rocker cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and fronmt engine solenmoid seals?

I want to know if this is indeed the case? The smoke is white and does have a slightly different smell to that of the oil (but maybe its just me). I am startignt o notice that the coolant levels are also going down.

Could this be a coolant leak somewhere which is causing the large amount of white smoke (embarrassing to drive)?

Please note that their is NO smoke coming from the exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPH90 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2006 320i e90 which has just started to pour smoke from engine bay after being driven for 5 minutes or...I have always had a minor obvious oil leak from the rocker/valve cover gasket which I noticed through the burnt candle smell through the AC.

I have taken it to a mechanic and he believes that they need to replace the brake vacuum pump, rocker cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and fronmt engine solenmoid seals?

I want to know if this is indeed the case? The smoke is white and does have a slightly different smell to that of the oil (but maybe its just me). I am startignt o notice that the coolant levels are also going down.

Could this be a coolant leak somewhere which is causing the large amount of white smoke (embarrassing to drive)?

I would take it to a different mechanic for a second opinion. Sound like a lot of parts that needs to be replaced. "Believing" is the word you dont want to hear from a mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Hi all,

White smoke is coolant burning.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

wash your engine bay with degreeser. Remember to cover the alternator with a trash bag. Letit air dry.

Come back a week later and inspect for stains of oil or coolant.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
+1, look for coolant leak. I had to replace the coolant hose from the radiator to oil housing due to the connector cracked and broke.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
RPH90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
+1, look for coolant leak. I had to replace the coolant hose from the radiator to oil housing due to the connector cracked and broke.
Thanks mate - how bad was the smoke from the leak from radiator to housing? How much did it cost to fix?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

Quote:
Thanks mate - how bad was the smoke from the leak from radiator to housing? How much did it cost to fix?
I was driving on the highway going 70mph, got yellow coolant light, then after few seconds it went away, I figured I'll check it out when I get home which was 5 minutes away. Pulled up to the gates and white smoke was coming out from under the hood. I pulled in quickly and shut the car off. I opened the hood and smoke was coming out all over the engine bay and everything was wet. I looked and saw the hose broke at the connector area. I wiped everything down, replaced the $30 hose and topped it off with bmw coolant and did the bleeding procedure to get the air out. Car lost over half the coolant, but reason why it was over heating as much was because I was on the highway and I think the air was kind of keeping the car cool until I got back home and came to a stop. Car ran fine and nothing serious affected.

What side of the engine bay is smoke coming up from. this can give you an idea of what hose or part it is leaking at.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
RPH90
Rep

thansk for your reply - that sounds very similar to what it is only - there is no sign of leakage (liquid) around the coolant expansion tank.

the smoke actually looks to be comign from the under the rocker cover!

Would this be common with a rocker/valve cover leak?
Appreciate 0