E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DIYer new to E90 platform - questions

05-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

DIYer new to E90 platform - questions

Hi all:

First off, I'm an avid E39 DIYer and I've done virtually everything my E39 has needed for several years now. I'm now an E90 owner because my E39 was totaled by someone running a red light.... Sad day.

The new car is a 2007 328i 6MT/sport/premium with ~60k on it. I've been googling and reading various things here but unfortunately I have a couple of questions I haven't found clearly answered elsewhere:

1/ I change the oil at least twice as often as the car thinks it needs it. In E39-land resetting the SI would confused the whole schedule and call for Inspection I or II way too often. With the E90s CSB concept, should I reset the oil maintenance counter every time I change it since the car keeps track of other service/inspections separately? (I already know how to do it, just don't know if I should)

2/ I'm thinking about getting a BT setup. Will BT Enthusiast or Pro edition allow me to enable things like the factory alarm if I were to add it? Is there a better tool than BT out there for a DIYer? I might be interested in coding some things I've seen in forum posts like remote control window up, fold mirrors on lock etc... Is Pro required for that stuff?

3/ When talking with the PO he mentioned how regularly he services it and the dealer has all the records because there is still extended warranty on the car. Now that I've figured out the BC, however, it shows overdue for "Service" indicating the hoist icon. He mentioned one time in the recent past he declined some service at the dealer where they wanted another $850 to check some light bulbs and do some other stuff. This sounds like an "inspection II" in E39-land. He implied he did it himself but was unable to reset the service indicator. I don't think it's extremely overdue, but where do I find an authoritative list of all of the procedures BMW calls for at this inspection so I can compare it against dealer records and DIY anything that's still outstanding and get "back on track"? The car passed a 2 hour pre-purchase inspection for condition quite well so I'm not in a panic about "neglect", but I'm going to change every fluid in the thing now that it's mine.

4/ where the cheapest place to get genuine aspheric mirrors? I've loved them on my E39. Unfortunately my E90 has auto-dip side mirrors too so they'll be seriously pricey.

5/ I'll ask questions about my one minute rough idle later after I've become more familiar with the car. I've read quite a lot and I don't seem to have any misfires or issues after the one minute mark, but the start and shutdown are kind of rough. It seems like everything calms down to silky smooth right after the secondary air pump (smog pump) shuts off. I find that kind of interesting... Again, if I had BT I'd be interested in resetting all adaptations and see what happens.

That's it for now
Appreciate 0