E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone know what this part is?

05-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Anyone know what this part is?

07 328i N52

I just changed the plugs and coils... it seems a hair better but still having that dreadful transmission jerk. Seemed more amplified today after the change out. I'm hoping it's just the fluid and level...
Anyway, I just happened to look around under the cover since it was off, I popped off this piece, electrical connector inside, it had oil in there and in the plug piece. Does anyone know what this is? I have to take an educated guess here and say oil should not be in this electrical port. Could this create a bad running issue perhaps?
I didn't photoshop the pic to circle the part, but you can see it on top of the valve cover unplugged.
Any expertise on this would be greatly appreciated.
I have a service manual on a disk but it crapped out after 3 uses. So much for ebay crap.
Thanks guys.
Billy

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
theduker456
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Xdrive

That's your engine.

Just kidding. The closeup picture is out of focus. I think a picture slightly farther back would help. I am sure that one of the experts on here will tell you what it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yea it is blurry, I was trying to get it close to see the oil in there, otherwise it's just a series of pins that plug into the connector.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone?
I'm starting to think this may be one of the reasons the car runs shitty.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

That is the connector for the eccentric (cam) shaft that is part of the Valvetronic system. There are two gaskets that seal the plug: one gasket is part of the profile gasket that seals the cylinder head valve cover to the cylinder head. It requires removal of the valve cover to replace it. The other gasket is a sealing-ring gasket that can be removed and replaced without removing the valve cover.

If you think the oil contamination is causing the problem, clean the connector with electrical connector cleaner (CRC makes a good product that is available at auto parts stores) and reconnect the harness and see if the car runs normal again. If not, then possibly the eccentric cam sensor is going bad. There will be codes in the ECU if the sensor is not operating properly.

If you are going to work on the car yourself, I suggest getting a BMW scan tool (such as a BT scan tool, or other such tool that scans for BMW-specific codes; i.e. not an OBDII scan tool), buy the Bentley repair manual, and use the website realOEM.com for part number searches.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That is the connector for the eccentric (cam) shaft that is part of the Valvetronic system. There are two gaskets that seal the plug: one gasket is part of the profile gasket that seals the cylinder head valve cover to the cylinder head. It requires removal of the valve cover to replace it. The other gasket is a sealing-ring gasket that can be removed and replaced without removing the valve cover.

If you think the oil contamination is causing the problem, clean the connector with electrical connector cleaner (CRC makes a good product that is available at auto parts stores) and reconnect the harness and see if the car runs normal again. If not, then possibly the eccentric cam sensor is going bad. There will be codes in the ECU if the sensor is not operating properly.

If you are going to work on the car yourself, I suggest getting a BMW scan tool (such as a BT scan tool, or other such tool that scans for BMW-specific codes; i.e. not an OBDII scan tool), buy the Bentley repair manual, and use the website realOEM.com for part number searches.
Thank you for the reply. I am bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow actually to check and update the engine and trans software and reset the adaptions. I wanted to know this part name to bring it up to them. If there is a code in the ECU, I wanted to be able to ask them to look for it now that I know what it is. Thanks you very much!
Also, I will try cleaning it as you said. but I think it may be too late as there is a leak going on and not sure which part is leaking. Hopefully just the top part. Not feeling like removing the valve covers right now.
Appreciate 0