E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Floor mats - why so much conflicting info?

05-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Floor mats - why so much conflicting info?

OK, I admit I'm the new guy here. I'm trying to research lots of stuff online and figure out what's going on wherever I can but sometimes I have questions that I have trouble finding definitive answers to. Floor mats is one of these issues.

My car appears to be equipped with genuine BMW rubber floor mats of some kind (whether they are "winter" or "all season" I don't know - they don't have a little carpet section) but they aren't properly held in place. In my case there is an attachment with "male" velcro screwed into the floor (as opposed to a cam) but the back of the mats just have small squares of cloth-like material on the back instead of "female" velcro.

As I'm searching I've read the following conflicting information about E90 floor mats:
  • summer mats use velcro on the underside to hold to velcro installed in the floor (same idea as what I have with these rubber mats)
  • summer mats require you to use an awl to poke holes in them so that fasteners go through the carpet and fasten to the floor
  • rubber mats just "stay in place" and hook around behind the accelerator pedal base
  • rubber mats have holes in them and there are "L hook" fasteners which cam (not thread) into the floor and stop them from sliding in one direction only
  • rubber mats have holes in them and fasteners go right through them and screw/cam into the floor
  • but my rubber mats have no holes and look like they use the velcro system

All of these things can't be true, unless there's a lot of different versions of mats out there.

These summer mats from Turner don't seem to show any fasteners above. Velcro?

This thread shows rubber mats for sale with circular holes that L-hook or screw down fasteners must go through

This thread shows fastening holes for driver AND passenger, while others are driver only.

...like this one - driver fastening only.

Velcro for carpet, no wait screws!

This shouldn't be this complicated, it's just floor mats

What's the real deal on FACTORY floor mats? Are there actually three? Velour/cloth, rubber with carpet inlay, full rubber winter mats?

When ordering from a distance or non-redfundable, I want to know what I'm getting and sort out all the little things on my new-to-me E90.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

What's the real deal on FACTORY floor mats? Are there actually three? Velour/cloth, rubber with carpet inlay, full rubber winter mats?
There's one that you missed and it's an "all weather liner" which looks like more of a "tray".

They're floormats, just pick some and call it a day. It doesn't have to be hard.
      05-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
OK, I admit I'm the new guy here. I'm trying to research lots of stuff online and figure out what's going on wherever I can but sometimes I have questions that I have trouble finding definitive answers to. Floor mats is one of these issues.

My car appears to be equipped with genuine BMW rubber floor mats of some kind (whether they are "winter" or "all season" I don't know - they don't have a little carpet section) but they aren't properly held in place. In my case there is an attachment with "male" velcro screwed into the floor (as opposed to a cam) but the back of the mats just have small squares of cloth-like material on the back instead of "female" velcro.

As I'm searching I've read the following conflicting information about E90 floor mats:
  • summer mats use velcro on the underside to hold to velcro installed in the floor (same idea as what I have with these rubber mats)
  • summer mats require you to use an awl to poke holes in them so that fasteners go through the carpet and fasten to the floor
  • rubber mats just "stay in place" and hook around behind the accelerator pedal base
  • rubber mats have holes in them and there are "L hook" fasteners which cam (not thread) into the floor and stop them from sliding in one direction only
  • rubber mats have holes in them and fasteners go right through them and screw/cam into the floor
  • but my rubber mats have no holes and look like they use the velcro system

All of these things can't be true, unless there's a lot of different versions of mats out there.

These summer mats from Turner don't seem to show any fasteners above. Velcro?

This thread shows rubber mats for sale with circular holes that L-hook or screw down fasteners must go through

This thread shows fastening holes for driver AND passenger, while others are driver only.

...like this one - driver fastening only.

Velcro for carpet, no wait screws!

This shouldn't be this complicated, it's just floor mats

When ordering from a distance or non-redfundable, I want to know what I'm getting and sort out all the little things on my new-to-me E90.
It isnt. You are making it complicated. Rubber mats are for winter and just sit there and never move. Carpet mats are for summer...they have velcro.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Take a picture of your rubber mat. We'll tell you how to anchor it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
It isnt. You are making it complicated. Rubber mats are for winter and just sit there and never move. Carpet mats are for summer...they have velcro.
+1 Pretty simple.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/BMWFloorMa...CenterId=31642
Kimi: Now.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I tried all mats, even posted about it. The best were the BMW floor liners, which are the same as the weather tech ones. They have velcro on the bottom (bmw branded ones do) and are amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Well, crap. Here's one reason I don't like what's in my car very much - they are E83 rubber mats

I have this in my floor:

And this is the back of the mat (which is just some kind of cloth, it is not loop fastener):

I'm shocked that they fit as well as they do. I guess I should check whether the driver's mat is E83 too. I bet it is. Sometimes previous owners can really try one's patience...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
I tried all mats, even posted about it. The best were the BMW floor liners, which are the same as the weather tech ones. They have velcro on the bottom (bmw branded ones do) and are amazing.
This is your thread? With the aid of your nick it googled pretty easily. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Lol your putting way to much thought into this, Just get ones that are good in winter like Good year rubber ones and call it a day.
Appreciate 0