E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > muffler and warranty question

06-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Mattshokri
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i space gray metallic

muffler and warranty question

i have a 2011 328i sedan
my car is also a lease
i was wondering if i get magnaflows or any other mufflers..
will the bmw dealership be fine wit it?
will it void my warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
BMW Junge für Leben
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 335i

the only reason why i'd them having a problem with it is if its only an axel back exhaust and you have to cut the stock mufflers out
      06-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Mattshokri
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Junge für Leben View Post
the only reason why i'd them having a problem with it is if its only an axel back exhaust and you have to cut the stock mufflers out
what can i do without cutting the stock muffler?
i cant do a muffler delete (asked they said no) and
the PE is to expensive for me
let me know please
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
BMW Junge für Leben
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattshokri View Post
what can i do without cutting the stock muffler?
i cant do a muffler delete (asked they said no) and
the PE is to expensive for me
let me know please
im not 100% familiar wit the 328i exhaust, but if you dont want to cut anything, youll probably have to get a mid pipe along with a muffler setup, meisterschaft makes all the exhaust stuff you would need same with supersprint. Supersprint from what i've heard is better than meisterschaft for midpipes and x-pipe setups but personally i dont like either of their muffler setups. I'd do something like get a midpipe from one of them then get a remus race muffler or something.
      06-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Mattshokri
Lieutenant
Rep

What's the mid pipe? Any videos of what ur telling?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

The dealer shoudn't care. Just don't mess with the cats
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Mattshokri
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
The dealer shoudn't care. Just don't mess with the cats
so if i just change the muffler they wont care??
but if i change the muffler.. the sound will be louder right?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattshokri View Post
i have a 2011 328i sedan
my car is also a lease
i was wondering if i get magnaflows or any other mufflers..
will the bmw dealership be fine wit it?
will it void my warranty?
I think the only thing they will require is that the OEM exhaust be re-installed at the time of lease turn-in. I don't think they will accept the car back with an aftermarket exhaust, but you can ask them.

Cutting off an exhaust and reinstalling it later is not a big deal for an exhaust shop.

It won't affect warranty.

Last edited by Bronze; 06-08-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
I think the only thing they will require is that the OEM exhaust be re-installed at the time of lease turn-in. I don't think they will accept the car back with an aftermarket lease, but you can ask them.

Cutting off an exhaust and reinstalling it later is not a big deal for an exhaust shop.

It won't affect warranty.
But I'm pretty sure the leasing company might have issues with them cutting off the exhaust and re-wielding it back on later. Have to remember, with a lease, you don't own the car technically, you're just renting it for an extended period of time.

I'd stick with bolt-on parts for a leased car (stuff that's easy to remove/replace without being able to tell anything was done), otherwise, stop leasing vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Mattshokri
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
But I'm pretty sure the leasing company might have issues with them cutting off the exhaust and re-wielding it back on later. Have to remember, with a lease, you don't own the car technically, you're just renting it for an extended period of time.

I'd stick with bolt-on parts for a leased car (stuff that's easy to remove/replace without being able to tell anything was done), otherwise, stop leasing vehicles.
are there any bolt on parts for the muffler? like to make it louder?
like when i go to service they wont know it there?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

I cut the stock mufflers off my 2010 E90 M 335i and installed Magnaflow mufflers with no problems to this day. Mufflers aren't going to create any problems so the dealer won't care. Dealers in general don't care about mods such as DP's, exhaust etc unless they cause something else to malfunction. Then you'll have problems because they'll void your warranty. It's always a risk changing your car from stock while underline warranty but some things are worth the risk like an exhaust and a tune
      06-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Mattshokri
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
I cut the stock mufflers off my 2010 E90 M 335i and installed Magnaflow mufflers with no problems to this day. Mufflers aren't going to create any problems so the dealer won't care. Dealers in general don't care about mods such as DP's, exhaust etc unless they cause something else to malfunction. Then you'll have problems because they'll void your warranty. It's always a risk changing your car from stock while underline warranty but some things are worth the risk like an exhaust and a tune
i asked the dealership yesterday and they said dont do it..
are there any bolt on mufflers that will make it louder but i wil be able to take it off before i give it to service and put it back after?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post

Leasing company won't be looking under the car for repairs. I've leased probably 9-10 cars over 20 years or so and never had an issue with previous repair work even being questioned. I got in accidents with some, and it was never brought up at turn-in, whether I was getting a replacement car from that dealer or not.
      06-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #14
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

BMW =/= "louder" + "too expensive"

I'm surprised nobody has said anything yet.

Then:
Quote:
are there any bolt on mufflers that will make it louder but i wil be able to take it off before i give it to service and put it back after?
Just save up for the BMW PE.

You can be cheap and cut the exhaust up, or you can not cut the exhaust up and get the expensive one. I don't think I've see any mufflers that are bolt-on. Usually the whole exhaust system tends to be bolt-on. Anything else usually has to be cut up.

It's not like the car isn't bad-assed without being louder. Just hold your desire for it being louder for a few more months and save up for a great exhaust (which also retains it's original value, so you can sell it at the end of lease for the same money you bought it for), and you'll be a lot happier in the long run (also the resale of mufflers sucks because you chopped up your car and the part to get it in, and nobody wants a second hand chopped up part, just like a second hand chopped up car).
      06-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
Mattshokri
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post

Then:

You can be cheap and cut the exhaust up, or you can not cut the exhaust up and get the expensive one. I don't think I've see any mufflers that are bolt-on. Usually the whole exhaust system tends to be bolt-on. Anything else usually has to be cut up.

It's not like the car isn't bad-assed without being louder. Just hold your desire for it being louder for a few more months and save up for a great exhaust (which also retains it's original value, so you can sell it at the end of lease for the same money you bought it for), and you'll be a lot happier in the long run (also the resale of mufflers sucks because you chopped up your car and the part to get it in, and nobody wants a second hand chopped up part, just like a second hand chopped up car).

thx for the help
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
mcrazyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Garage List
08 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post

Then:

+1
      06-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
JS82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

Save up some money and get the BMW Performance exhaust.
It sounds awesome.
I got mine installed today and love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #18
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

imho, i dont think getting a pe on a lease is worth it. Because when you return the lease, then what? you either give them your pe OR you take it off and theres that hassle in selling it and etc. Of course if you go in and ask the dealer if its okay for you to get a new muffler theyre going to say no. If you go in and ask them if you can change your lightbulbs yourself, theyll say no. In no way will the dealer void your warranty for cutting and welding a muffler. The leasing company wont crawl (or lift your car up) under your car to look and see if theres a weld on your exhaust pipe. So youre pretty much set to do what you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
Mattshokri
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneout View Post
imho, i dont think getting a pe on a lease is worth it. Because when you return the lease, then what? you either give them your pe OR you take it off and theres that hassle in selling it and etc. Of course if you go in and ask the dealer if its okay for you to get a new muffler theyre going to say no. If you go in and ask them if you can change your lightbulbs yourself, theyll say no. In no way will the dealer void your warranty for cutting and welding a muffler. The leasing company wont crawl (or lift your car up) under your car to look and see if theres a weld on your exhaust pipe. So youre pretty much set to do what you want.
kk thx
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
ihrken
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Is the BMW PE much better than the magnaflows?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
spoiler
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrken View Post
Is the BMW PE much better than the magnaflows?
magnaflow sounds nice but i like the ikon exhaust way better imho.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #22
Torobimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 Pre-LCI prem+sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler;12178084[B
]magnaflow sounds nice but i like the ikon exhaust [/B]way better imho.
anyone interested in this check out this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=muffler
Appreciate 0