E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Ordering parts from a dealer

07-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Ordering parts from a dealer

Has anyone had this when trying to order in a part from a dealer they have to make payment over the phone?
I have made countless part orders from this particular dealer before, most expensive being £200 approx and i have ordered it over the phone and paid on collection. But when i try to order a £2 rubber grommet they say oh we would require payment before we order it.

I know this maybe a silly rant over something small and could have paid over the phone. But this has annoyed me and from now on will use another dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

ive never done it that way certainly. it's a good thing too, when i ordered car mats for my nissan primera a few years back, when i got there, they were blatantly the wrong type and not what I had asked for. So i just gave them back and said I didn't want them.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Has anyone had this when trying to order in a part from a dealer they have to make payment over the phone?
I have made countless part orders from this particular dealer before, most expensive being £200 approx and i have ordered it over the phone and paid on collection. But when i try to order a £2 rubber grommet they say oh we would require payment before we order it.

I know this maybe a silly rant over something small and could have paid over the phone. But this has annoyed me and from now on will use another dealer
This is what happened to me recently.
I assume that recently they have changed their payment criteria.
I have been told that those things which are in stock, we can pay on the counter.
But those, which require special ordering and coming from BMW UK, should be payed in advance.

I guess it varies from dealer to dealer.
      07-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

As I needed the part asap I had to go back to that dealer as it was the nearest one to me. I called up and spoke to someone else and they processed it fine saying no payment required until you collect. When I did mention that I had spoken to someone else earlier on he said that for special order items over £15 generally need to be paid straightaway. But under that amount no payment needed. I guess the other guy didnt know the rules.

But when I did tell him what I wanted (small rubber grommet costing a massive £2.31) he laughed.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
thess
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

This has happened to me before and the explanation the dealer gave me was that they can not return any part to BMW that retails at less than £10, anything costing more than this can be returned with out it costing the dealer any money.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

i've used BMW Milton Keynes (Scothall) and BMW Northampton (Wollaston). I have never paid up front, always on collection. I've ordered cheap parts and expensive parts.

I guess its like what makkan says, it varies dealer to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
I bought an LCI cup holder cover from Harry Fairbairn in Irvine yesterday. Ordered on Monday as UK stock and didn't have to pre pay, just cash on collection. It was only £6 too.
      07-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual & i4 35

I have had to on many occassions, and it's normally due to having to order the item from BMW Germany.
Appreciate 0