E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > bmw 325i lci steptronic "D" mode sluggish from stand still..

08-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

bmw 325i lci steptronic "D" mode sluggish from stand still..

Hi guys,
I m enjoying my e90 325i lci auto since a month, love the car & love this forum I noticed when at a signal if i take the car off in"D" mode its very sluggish till it catches some speed, feels like the car picks up from 2nd gear instead of 1st but when in "DS" mode its feels much quicker of the signal. why is this so? find the difference pretty huge. I love using the paddle shift in this car, is it ok to shift the gears with the paddle shift while keep the accelerator pressed? as in a manual trans you have to leave the accelerator. Sorry for the newbie question this is my first auto with paddle shift

Thanks..

Last edited by insane79; 08-14-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Bungle009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

D Mode uses gears 2-6. DS Mode uses 1-5.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

As above when in D mode when you come to a standstill unless on a very high incline will always use 2nd speed to set off whereas in DS mode you have the option to flick it into 1st-6th
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

hmmn, that explains the sluggish start on "D" mode, dunno why bmw have done this..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
hey joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 330d

Yep, the gearbox using 2nd to pull away when in D was as explained when we bought our 330d.

(Not sure about Bungle's comment of DS using 1-5 - surely it must change up out of 5th eventually ? but you're already at silly speeds. I know in DS I'm still in 5th at 70 mph but if you press on - on a private road of course - surely it would change up before you get to the 155 mph limiter. But I'll let someone else try this !!).

HOWEVER, (regarding setting off in D) what I have noticed is this..... moving off our driveway and out of our cul-de-sac (usually pretty crowded) or in a busy car park, I usually select D and then just take my foot off the brake without using the accelerator. The car trundles along at a walking pace. If I now "paddle" up (still no accelerator), I can feel another gear select, M2 appears on the dash, and the car gains a couple of mph to a fast walking pace. So presumably I was in 1st before I "paddled". So it seems D will use 1st to pull away if you don't use any accelerator - like creeping forward in a queue.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey joe View Post
So presumably I was in 1st before I "paddled". So it seems D will use 1st to pull away if you don't use any accelerator - like creeping forward in a queue.
hmmn, so i guess once you accelerate it must be shifting to second gear..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey joe View Post
Yep, the gearbox using 2nd to pull away when in D was as explained when we bought our 330d.

(Not sure about Bungle's comment of DS using 1-5 - surely it must change up out of 5th eventually ? but you're already at silly speeds. I know in DS I'm still in 5th at 70 mph but if you press on - on a private road of course - surely it would change up before you get to the 155 mph limiter. But I'll let someone else try this !!).

HOWEVER, (regarding setting off in D) what I have noticed is this..... moving off our driveway and out of our cul-de-sac (usually pretty crowded) or in a busy car park, I usually select D and then just take my foot off the brake without using the accelerator. The car trundles along at a walking pace. If I now "paddle" up (still no accelerator), I can feel another gear select, M2 appears on the dash, and the car gains a couple of mph to a fast walking pace. So presumably I was in 1st before I "paddled". So it seems D will use 1st to pull away if you don't use any accelerator - like creeping forward in a queue.
This is an interesting phenomenon which I've played with myself.

Maybe it's the gearbox 'locking up' in second when you hit the paddle - that can sometimes feel like a gear change. Perhaps before that point it's in 'slip' mode and so going a bit slower.... dunno?

But I can confirm that D does not use 1st.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Tyso335
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport.......

learning loads from this cheers lads

Fuel of the Devil
NOW: E92 335d M Sport lots of mods to come...
Gone But Not Forgotten: EVO 8 MR FQ340 Running 370bhp
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Drive vs. Sport Mode

Mash the gas peddle in D and the car moves off the line gradually. Do the same in Sport and the car leaps away pretty sharpish.

If BMW only made S mode, a lot of drivers could find the performance slightly intimidating and the car much harder to modulate in stop and go traffic.

So think of it as 'tame' or 'relaxed' mode and performance mode. The problem is that in performance mode, the box hangs onto all gears longer than normal and you find yourself driving at a steady state at too high rpm.

At roundabouts and junctions, I've learned to select S to get the sharp pull away, then select D to get the correct shift points for general driving on busy roads.

Unless you're in a DCT equipped car, all paddle shifters do is move the gearbox shifting switch from the shift lever to the steering wheel. The shifting is still fairly slow. DCT backs up the paddle shifter with ultra-fast cog changes and rev matching throttle blips on down shifts.
Appreciate 0