E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New member

08-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
L8apex79
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Hi folks, I'm a new owner of an 07 335i auto sedan (sport, winter, and performance packages). Always wanted to own an BMW at some point in my life and finally decided to replace my 14 year old Volvo daily driver. I also tracked a S2000 for a while, but that is gone now as well (hobbies have changed). I would still would like to get back in one someday, but if not, I suppose I could settle for Miata instead.

So far so good with the BMW, but I do have a some gripes about it...perhaps someone can suggest some tips.

1.) RFT's are starting to drive me crazy. I would like to replace them with conventional tires. However, I'm leaning towards a square setup so that I can rotate tires. Will Type 157 wheels fit without any modification (i.e. spacers)? And yes, I prefer 17" wheels since tires are cheaper. What size tires equate to the same speedometer calibration as the stock 18's?

2.) Sticky brakes. Not sure if my slide pins are getting gunked up, but I've read that this is common. I live in Chicago and so it gets a bit annoying with the stop and go traffic.

3.) Jerky upshifts - I notice this the most going from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesn't occur as often in paddle mode. Is this normal?

4.) Climate control. I don't know why, but it seems pretty finicky. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's just not as reactive or as comfortable as I want it to be.

5.) Navigation system is archaic. I'm not going to do anything about this one, but it's pretty pathetic compared to my buddy's 07 IS350.

6.) Steering wheel sucks. Can't believe it's not wrapped in leather. Any suggestions on getting it wrapped or replaced? Also, the non F1 style paddle shifters are annoying. I saw some mods to replace with with M paddles, but is it as simple as "plug & play" or is there more to it?

Thanks!

Last edited by L8apex79; 08-27-2012 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
1) The RFT are pretty rough, I got 19" 30 series and it felt better. RF are expensive so maybe some decent 18" tires you will notice a difference, but be sure to carry fix it flat kit with small air compressor. No spare in BMW's. This thread may help you with your wheels http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12. If you go through the trouble I wouldn't get 17", get something worth the time. 18" new tires or new set of 19's or 18's. Tire costs are min. between 18 - 17"

2) If you are under maintenance, take it in, me personally never experienced sticky brakes.

3) Not sure how jerky you are talking about, DS mode is a little more sporty so you may experience a little more jerk because it shifts higher RPM's. D mode is smoother and Paddle just depends when you shift. But I never experienced "jerky" per say.

4) I never actually use Climate Control. I just set my Air Flow and use the fan speeds on the dash. Driver and Passenger sets their own Temp.

5) yeah, the 07 idrive isn't the most attractive, the idrive is much better from 09 on. I have an updated DVD 2011, maybe that my look better? But it is pretty basic, works though.

6) If you have sport package, I am not sure why you don't have the leather wrapped steering wheel? Not sure where to take it, try your dealer? Go to DIY thread, there is a Paddle Shifter MOD. may help you if you like to change them. May take some time to find, try google search, it may link you to e90post.com I didn't know there were a difference between M style to stock??

Hope this helps, enjoy,

oh yeah, I would take twin turbo over a Lexus 350 any day.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

welcome welcome!
      08-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

I keep putting this steering wheel in my "cart" on Bimmian's site, looking at it on the screen for a few minutes, and finally wimping out and closing the page. I can't quite bring myself to spend the money, but maybe you can!

http://www.bimmian.com/STW/9X
Appreciate 0