E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Modding, while still staying OEM?

10-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Modding, while still staying OEM?

I have a weird thing - if you can call it that. I do like modding and changing certain things in my car, but basically only if it was available OEM or directly from BMW like that. Here I am talking mostly cosmetic mods, like those available from BMW performance parts and oem parts.

For example - my car has the burl walnut trim. I'm planning on changing it to the aluminum, as that comes OEM on other cars like mine - but I still feel a little bit funny. Likewise, I want to change my sport steering wheel, to the m sport one. I know 2008's did not come with them, but 2009's m sport cars did. I think the BMW performance parts wheel and carbon fiber trim seem a little bit more "official" mods vs the other ones, no?

Am I just being silly? I don't care what other people think - it's really just my own taste to try and stay OEM. I feel the same way about wheels, other mods, etc. I just love the way the cars come from the factory - it gives them their character, while I know other people like doing more 3rd party mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

If you have deep pockets and want to throw BMW massive amounts of money have at it

Personally while I do love how our cars come from the factory and love all the BMW upgrade parts. I also love making mine stand out when other people see it without spending a huge amount on something that could of been had for much less

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
Am I just being silly? I don't care what other people think
This seems kind of self-contradictory? You ask what other people think, then say you don't care what other people think?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

The modding approach you describe is known amongst most euro car guys as OEMplus. I can see some of the virtues in terms of fit, finish and build quality. I can also see drawbacks in terms of cost, variety and a limited 'end state'. By that I mean suppose you have an n54 335i and you want it to be faster. Your only OEM options are going to be very restrictive and the end result will only be around 330bhp. Meanwhile, the aftermarket can take you from 350 to 500 or more depending on your inclination. I guess I see it all this way: the OEM products are good for someone without much vision who wants something a little different. The result is likely to be tasteful and well executed but never spectacular. The aftermarket is for those that have a more unique vision for their car. However, the result is likely to be tasteless and poorly executed but sometimes it is spectacular. Choose wisely...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

If you want to mod your car to an m-sport or anything in that line, just sell your car and buy one. You'll be happier down the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

I plan to stay "OEM plus," because I like keeping my warranty in good standing, I like the subtle, "sleeper" aspect of the mods, I DON'T like looking like a 20 year old with too much cash and not enough taste (primer grey vented hood on 328i FTL! Stretched and poked and stanced and slammed to hell FTL x 2!).

So far I have the N54 Power Kit, OEM M3 rear lip spoiler, and gloss black grilles. I'm in no rush, but the next mods will be a performance exhaust, and the performance suspension kit.

All more aggressive than stock, but also very subtle. This is my way. I don't need my car to shout at people, personally. Just to please my eye.
      10-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
For the most part I am just like you OP. I plan getting the BMW Performance suspension and OEM Aero lip and maybe some 19" style 313s if I can afford it. However I am staying away from BMW when it comes to upgrading the performance of my car. You simply pay too much for too little.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoupeInsanity View Post
I plan to stay "OEM plus," because I like keeping my warranty in good standing, I like the subtle, "sleeper" aspect of the mods, I DON'T like looking like a 20 year old with too much cash and not enough taste (primer grey vented hood on 328i FTL! Stretched and poked and stanced and slammed to hell FTL x 2!).

So far I have the N54 Power Kit, OEM M3 rear lip spoiler, and gloss black grilles. I'm in no rush, but the next mods will be a performance exhaust, and the performance suspension kit.

All more aggressive than stock, but also very subtle. This is my way. I don't need my car to shout at people, personally. Just to please my eye.
I was in your shoes about half a year ago. Fortunately, when I first bought my E90 335i, I got it with the M-sport trim. I did add N54 PPK stage 2 with the 850W fan and aux water cooler. Then I added the PS along with the PE. After half a year of going completely OEM plus, I regret getting the PS and am also thinking about moving back to the stock exhaust as well.

For the PE, if you have an AT (which I do) the PE drones at ~2K RPM with slight load, very audible when you're going uphill (it interferes with the music I'm playing). The only time when I do enjoy the PE sound is when I have my window rolled partly down in a indoor parking lot.

The PS on the other hand is not that great on LA roads either. I felt only slight improvements over the sports suspension, while the ride comfort is now almost unbearable due to all the road bumps in both the highway and local.

I'm now switching to Ohlin's R&T suspensions and I'm still on the fence on switching back to my stock exhaust (in fact you can probably buy my PE when I switch it back for a lot cheaper, mint condition, had it for 5k miles).

Hopefully my experience can help you make a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeah View Post
I was in your shoes about half a year ago. Fortunately, when I first bought my E90 335i, I got it with the M-sport trim. I did add N54 PPK stage 2 with the 850W fan and aux water cooler. Then I added the PS along with the PE. After half a year of going completely OEM plus, I regret getting the PS and am also thinking about moving back to the stock exhaust as well.

For the PE, if you have an AT (which I do) the PE drones at ~2K RPM with slight load, very audible when you're going uphill (it interferes with the music I'm playing). The only time when I do enjoy the PE sound is when I have my window rolled partly down in a indoor parking lot.

The PS on the other hand is not that great on LA roads either. I felt only slight improvements over the sports suspension, while the ride comfort is now almost unbearable due to all the road bumps in both the highway and local.

I'm now switching to Ohlin's R&T suspensions and I'm still on the fence on switching back to my stock exhaust (in fact you can probably buy my PE when I switch it back for a lot cheaper, mint condition, had it for 5k miles).

Hopefully my experience can help you make a better choice.
Yes, that's useful! I'm definitely wary about going to a harder ride -- may think twice about the PS.

For sure hit me up if/when you are looking to get rid of the PE. I'll be interested.
      10-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
A few tasteful mods, whether OEM or aftermarket, can really help the looks of these cars. For performance definitely stick with aftermarket. And definitely listen to the BMW Performance Exhaust in person before you buy it. I took mine off after 3 months because it was just too loud for me with downpipes.
      10-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
I have a weird thing - if you can call it that. I do like modding and changing certain things in my car, but basically only if it was available OEM or directly from BMW like that. Here I am talking mostly cosmetic mods, like those available from BMW performance parts and oem parts.

For example - my car has the burl walnut trim. I'm planning on changing it to the aluminum, as that comes OEM on other cars like mine - but I still feel a little bit funny. Likewise, I want to change my sport steering wheel, to the m sport one. I know 2008's did not come with them, but 2009's m sport cars did. I think the BMW performance parts wheel and carbon fiber trim seem a little bit more "official" mods vs the other ones, no?

Am I just being silly? I don't care what other people think - it's really just my own taste to try and stay OEM. I feel the same way about wheels, other mods, etc. I just love the way the cars come from the factory - it gives them their character, while I know other people like doing more 3rd party mods.
I have the same mindset and all of my mods are OEM. I just think that for the cosmetic parts, the fit will be flawless and for the performance enhancing parts, they are engineered by BMW so what could be better, and plus I don't have to worry about anything voiding my warranty.

So far I have the power kit software, performance suspension, performance exhaust, rear diffuser, side aero kit, CF side mirrors, and style 313 wheels, all OEM. The only other thing I might do at some point is to replace the burl trim but it actually contrasts nicely with my oyster/black interior so it's not a priority for me.
      10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I'm with the OP - the only non-OEM things on my car are the painted front reflectors. Otherwise I have the BMW Performance Exhaust and Intake, mud flaps, underhood insulation, rear seat power outlets and cubby, seatback nets, ZHP shiftknob, and underhood insulation. I've thought about going to the Piano Black interior trim at some point.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

I have a similar approach, but mine is slightly different...

I like my car to look like it could have come off the lot as it sits. It makes people do a double take on if the car is modded or not.

For instance, my wheels are a factory rep. My car is low, but not slammed. My AEs look like the newer lci version.... I'd like a csl trunk to take me a bit more to the modded side, but it's still not like I'm riding around of deep dish wheels with black centers.

Just my $.02

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Op, I agree with you a100%. That is exactly what I did with my car. Here's what I've done so far:

OEM:
Gloss black grills
M3 lip spoiler
BMW performance exhaust
BMW performance power kit
BMW performance shift and ebrake boot
BMW high gloss black interior trim
Painted m-sport diffuser gloss black

Non-OEM:
H&R coilovers
19" Alufelgen SF-71s
Gloss black 335 emblem
Painted front bumper reflectors
Gloss black roof wrap

It helped that I ordered my car with the m-sport package, so I figured that since I had the bumpers, skirts, and interior bits like wheel and anthracite roof, I may as well keep it that way. I think when it comes to a European car, OEMplus is definitely the way to go. This is just how I feel.

With that said, I have a set of 193s if you'd like to upgrade your wheels.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
I have a similar approach, but mine is slightly different...

I like my car to look like it could have come off the lot as it sits. It makes people do a double take on if the car is modded or not.

For instance, my wheels are a factory rep. My car is low, but not slammed. My AEs look like the newer lci version.... I'd like a csl trunk to take me a bit more to the modded side, but it's still not like I'm riding around of deep dish wheels with black centers.

Just my $.02
I feel the exact same way!
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0