E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Venting--335 Stalling in Traffic

08-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Venting--335 Stalling in Traffic

I've about had it. Since I bought my car last December, it has stalled on me in traffic 5 times--with the clutch fully depressed, while stopped or decelerating to a stop. It happened twice today--once on the way to work, and once on the way home.:mad: The RPMS just dropped like a rock. Of course, the car has always started right back up, so I look like an idiot who doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission (but this is better than being stranded). The car stalls so quietly and with so little vibration that I can barely notice that the engine has stopped running. The car isn't throwing any codes, so my dealer hasn't been able to diagnose the problem. I've read a few other threads about people with the same problem, and it doesn't seem to be related to the high pressure fuel pump failures.

I had the car serviced two weeks ago, and the dealer updated my software, which caused a control unit (supposedly the main controller for the car's systems) to crash. They replaced the control unit, and everything seemed to be fine up until now.

I really hope BMW gets their act together with this motor, because aside from the reliability issues, it truly is a great all-around motor, and the car overall is untouchable in its class (IMO). Words can't express how much I enjoy driving the 335 (better than anything else I've ever owned, including the E46 M3), which is why crap like this is so frustrating. Sorry, I just had to vent. If anybody has any more insight on this issue, I'd appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI M3

Obviously you just can't drive stick, I'd sell the car to me for 5$ and buy a Toyota Camry.
      08-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

Here come the useful responses that are nothing but a waste of time and bandwidth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteBrawler View Post
Obviously you just can't drive stick, I'd sell the car to me for 5$ and buy a Toyota Camry.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
cameba5
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & E92 M3 - En Route!

Ok, so this might not be it at all. But try checking to make sure that your air filter cover is tightly connected and that the filter isn't too dirty. A while ago, a friend of mine had his 328 stalling at a stand still only to find that the problem was with a loose air filter cover because it would not throw any codes...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
hmmm. could it be some kind of fluid lacking. but if u wer lackin fluids it would throw a code............. lemon law it if u can. let it sit in the shop for 30days
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
Leesi
Good Student Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW

Dealer won't hold it, if they don't find any errors...

Jet Black color with minor scratches

PM ME!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92man View Post
hmmm. could it be some kind of fluid lacking. but if u wer lackin fluids it would throw a code............. lemon law it if u can. let it sit in the shop for 30days
That thought has crossed my mind more than once...but its hard to contemplate--I have a good amount of money invested in mods on this car, plus my pss9s are supposed to go on Friday and my DPEs should be in in a week or two--completely irrational, I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, sadly, after 15 years of experience, I still haven't learned to drive a stick...and it's too bad I sold my '02 Camry when I bought the 335
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameba5 View Post
Ok, so this might not be it at all. But try checking to make sure that your air filter cover is tightly connected and that the filter isn't too dirty. A while ago, a friend of mine had his 328 stalling at a stand still only to find that the problem was with a loose air filter cover because it would not throw any codes...
will do--thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
Yeah, sadly, after 15 years of experience, I still haven't learned to drive a stick...and it's too bad I sold my '02 Camry when I bought the 335
      08-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hope everything will work out. Even though, you are venting, you are still a good sport and a true BMW enthusiast, not like some cry babies around here. lol!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hope everything will work out. Even though, you are venting, you are still a good sport and a true BMW enthusiast, not like some cry babies around here. lol!

Thanks, and good choice on the Terra interior--mine is AW/Terra. It's hard to whine too much about this car, despite the reliability issues--it's that good to me. If you disregard all of the overheating, pump failures, etc. (no small task), I honestly don't see how anyone could test drive the 335 and buy anything else in its class. I'm at a loss as to what to do if I end up having to get out of it. I'm #4 on my dealer's list for the E92 M3, but I'm not even excited about the M3 anymore--I actually think I'd rather have a tuned 335 (I know there are tons of people rolling their eyes at that statement). I'm only holding on to my spot at this point b/c I'm afraid of regretting letting it go before I see the M3 in the flesh.

There are only two other cars I could even consider right now--a used 997S (a little too pricey right now) or a Cayman S (I don't really want my 'fun' car to be a two-seater, b/c I can't drive it when the whole family goes out). But, I would be hesitant to buy another 335 until BMW shows they have addressed most of the engine-related issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Try PROcede. That should fix it.

The M3 will be a treat. I need 4 doors though.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

From personal experience you should have the dealer do

1) Check and replace the O2 sensor
2) Make sure your ECU hasn't blown a fuse somewhere down the line -say in the idle control area
3)Check fuel line/filter for water or contaminates

Also, what is the pattern when it stalls other than sitting in traffic? Does it occur on hot days? Air on? Defrost on? What was the operating temp. I suggest you keep a daily log for awhile for everything that you do or don't do to the car including where you fill up. Try to establish a pattern. Cars are not people, there are reasons why things fail and it usually takes some pattern recognition to realize what the root cause is.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 03:43 AM   #15
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have a 328i auto and had somewhat of the same issue but it only stalled once while driving the second time the car went crazy on start up..

Turned out the first stalling didnt list any codes but the second episode on start up listed a code that was traced back to the crank position sensor. Might want that check out, I remember on one of my mercedes a few years back the CPS problem was a big issue and it didnt matter if you had the V6 or the V8 in that particular model, lucky for me I never had the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #16
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
From personal experience you should have the dealer do

1) Check and replace the O2 sensor
2) Make sure your ECU hasn't blown a fuse somewhere down the line -say in the idle control area
3)Check fuel line/filter for water or contaminates

Also, what is the pattern when it stalls other than sitting in traffic? Does it occur on hot days? Air on? Defrost on? What was the operating temp. I suggest you keep a daily log for awhile for everything that you do or don't do to the car including where you fill up. Try to establish a pattern. Cars are not people, there are reasons why things fail and it usually takes some pattern recognition to realize what the root cause is.
Thanks for the tips. I certainly am attempting to approach this analytically--I'm a patent lawyer and my BS is in mechanical engineering, so a hyper-analytical approach to almost everything in life is natural to me, unfortunately. I have made a point of filling up at the same couple of stations to try and narrow that variable. My operating temps always stay in the 240 deg range, the car has stalled w/ AC both on and off (on yesterday) and stalls have occured on hot and mild days.
So far I haven't been able to find a consistent pattern other than the fact that the car has been at low speed/standing.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #17
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
I have a 328i auto and had somewhat of the same issue but it only stalled once while driving the second time the car went crazy on start up..

Turned out the first stalling didnt list any codes but the second episode on start up listed a code that was traced back to the crank position sensor. Might want that check out, I remember on one of my mercedes a few years back the CPS problem was a big issue and it didnt matter if you had the V6 or the V8 in that particular model, lucky for me I never had the issue.
Noted--thanks. I've also had the 'wild idle' on start-up two or three times before (repeated oscillations between about 500 and 1500 RPM). I'm going to take everyone's suggested check items to the dealer with me next Monday. After years of arguing that German cars get an unfairly bad rep for poor reliability, I've had to eat my words this year--on top of the 335's problems, the AC on our MB GL450 went out after one month and 760 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #18
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After years of arguing that German cars get an unfairly bad rep for poor reliability, I've had to eat my words this year--on top of the 335's problems, the AC on our MB GL450 went out after one month and 760 miles.
Thank god its just a slightly emmbarassing problem. It could have ben worse. my Fathers Windshield wipers EXPLODED when we were driving back from the airport last week. apparently the motors which drove the wipers got jammed, formed some form of backpressure, and went Kerpow.

In the rain.

I hope you find out whats wrong, if you stalled at the wrong time, it would be dangerous no?
      08-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #19
MIAmE93 Heat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 98 Gti Vr6, 07 335i Coupe

wow man, sux, just got mine the other day, hope nothing like this happens.
      08-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #20
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank god its just a slightly emmbarassing problem. It could have ben worse. my Fathers Windshield wipers EXPLODED when we were driving back from the airport last week. apparently the motors which drove the wipers got jammed, formed some form of backpressure, and went Kerpow.

In the rain.

I hope you find out whats wrong, if you stalled at the wrong time, it would be dangerous no?
Wow--exploding windshields are frightening. Once my car stalled as I was about to make a left turn from a stop sign. Fortunately, it stalled the instant I released the brake and went to apply the throttle. I had not let out the clutch at all, so I didn't move forward into oncoming traffic--that could have been bad. That's when I really got pissed, b/c someone could easily get killed in a situation like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that could result in injury, death, or accidental castration, all very bad.

I had my old Volvo die on me once in a parking lot, It absolutley refused to start, and that was just outside Acme markets, If it happened at an intersection, and I knew it wasn't me, I'd be scared Shitless honestly.
      08-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #22
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
I've about had it. Since I bought my car last December, it has stalled on me in traffic 5 times--with the clutch fully depressed, while stopped or decelerating to a stop. It happened twice today--once on the way to work, and once on the way home.:mad: The RPMS just dropped like a rock. Of course, the car has always started right back up, so I look like an idiot who doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission (but this is better than being stranded). The car stalls so quietly and with so little vibration that I can barely notice that the engine has stopped running. The car isn't throwing any codes, so my dealer hasn't been able to diagnose the problem. I've read a few other threads about people with the same problem, and it doesn't seem to be related to the high pressure fuel pump failures.

I had the car serviced two weeks ago, and the dealer updated my software, which caused a control unit (supposedly the main controller for the car's systems) to crash. They replaced the control unit, and everything seemed to be fine up until now.

I really hope BMW gets their act together with this motor, because aside from the reliability issues, it truly is a great all-around motor, and the car overall is untouchable in its class (IMO). Words can't express how much I enjoy driving the 335 (better than anything else I've ever owned, including the E46 M3), which is why crap like this is so frustrating. Sorry, I just had to vent. If anybody has any more insight on this issue, I'd appreciate it!
I had exactly the same happening on my 2001 330Ci 5-speed
While on traffic light or while slowly moving on neutral before the light or coming out of driveway
It didnt happen often, but was very annoying
It also would jump up and down by itself when i depress the cluch and let go the gas
BTW it happened more often with 40K+ on the clock
Appreciate 0