E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > infamous 335i brake squeal

11-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

infamous 335i brake squeal

has anyone found a solution? this is so annoying, my brakes are not bad and have passed inspection recently just fine. car brake squeals at low speed and brakes arent even applied. how do u guys cope with this
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
RaddM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 & 991 GT3

file down the sensors a little
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

Mine doesn't do this. I had an Audi TTS before that did though, but it was resolved with Hawk ceramic pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Brake squeal is caused by chattering brake pads vibrating off the caliper. Camphering the edge of the pads helps, using anti-squeal paste on the back of the pads makes all the difference in the world.
Having installed countless sets of pads on BMWs most currently my M3 and my E93 335 these techniques alwasy work and I have had no squeal nor have the owners of other BMWs I have done this for.

We any of these measures done before installing new pads? I am assuming this was caused by the installation of new pads or new pads and new rotors...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
DetectiveLoki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

turn up the bass and blast the music. that's how i cope.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yes, could be the back of the pads or the sensors, but I also read on a previous post (maybe 1 addicts) where the OP filed down the knobs on the dust shield. It worked for him regarding this infamous BMW brake squeal. GL, hope I don't ever experience this issue.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
Duke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It just sucks. It really really sucks.

But filing down the brake pad sensor solved about 90% of the problem!

I should try out that anti squeal paste on the brake pads too? It's worth a shot anyways..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Hire someone from the mafia to kill the squeal! Haha but in seriousness though,
I used anti squeal paste on my car and I have to say, I haven't had a problem with the squealing since. Yes I have a 328 but I also noticed the squealing at 8k miles in. I didn't put the paste on with my last set of pads and it was the worst mistake of my life. Apply a generous amount too, be careful though it turns into a rubberish compound and sticks to damn near everything when it dries up and spray brake parts cleaner on the rotor itself whenever you hear the sound or just hit the breaks to kill the sound
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaddN54 View Post
file down the sensors a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Brake squeal is caused by chattering brake pads vibrating off the caliper. Camphering the edge of the pads helps, using anti-squeal paste on the back of the pads makes all the difference in the world.
Having installed countless sets of pads on BMWs most currently my M3 and my E93 335 these techniques alwasy work and I have had no squeal nor have the owners of other BMWs I have done this for.

We any of these measures done before installing new pads? I am assuming this was caused by the installation of new pads or new pads and new rotors...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Yes, could be the back of the pads or the sensors, but I also read on a previous post (maybe 1 addicts) where the OP filed down the knobs on the dust shield. It worked for him regarding this infamous BMW brake squeal. GL, hope I don't ever experience this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
It just sucks. It really really sucks.

But filing down the brake pad sensor solved about 90% of the problem!

I should try out that anti squeal paste on the brake pads too? It's worth a shot anyways..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Hire someone from the mafia to kill the squeal! Haha but in seriousness though,
I used anti squeal paste on my car and I have to say, I haven't had a problem with the squealing since. Yes I have a 328 but I also noticed the squealing at 8k miles in. I didn't put the paste on with my last set of pads and it was the worst mistake of my life. Apply a generous amount too, be careful though it turns into a rubberish compound and sticks to damn near everything when it dries up and spray brake parts cleaner on the rotor itself whenever you hear the sound or just hit the breaks to kill the sound
Thanks everyone. I wasn't here for the most recent brake change.. I purchased this car in August of this year and on the maintenance history it shows that all brakes and sensors were changed. I'm guessing they didn't use enough anti squeal paste on my car. It's so annoying and embarrassing at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcashhomie View Post
Thanks everyone. I wasn't here for the most recent brake change.. I purchased this car in August of this year and on the maintenance history it shows that all brakes and sensors were changed. I'm guessing they didn't use enough anti squeal paste on my car. It's so annoying and embarrassing at low speeds.
Also sometimes when you change rotors only and not pads, the left over material can cause squeaking/ squealing. All you'd have to do is sand the pads back down to remove the material or slam on the brakes (similar to bedding process). Also try depressing the pads again if the dealership didn't do it for you. This should reduce the low speed noise. Goodluck, I know it was the most embarrassing thing for me when rolling thru a meet or drive thru
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...y+brake+squeal
diy on how to remove it. ill do it at my 60k inspection.
it's really annoying...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

wow i had this problem when i had my 335i i had no idea it was a common problem, i was never able to solve it.. bmws really shouldn't have problems like these
Appreciate 0