E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Something to think about!!!

11-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
Scott Carpenter
BMW Employee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Garage List
Exclamation Something to think about!!!

I sitting out side my car just looking at it and I thought of something. So I ran inside and grab the keys. I remember at Lunch time today reading a lable in top left hand corner of the window, it said to make sure everyone is out of the car before locking it because someone may get trapped. So I tested it. It’s true if you sit in your car and close the door and hit the lock button on the remote then try to open the door it just moves freely. But I found a way out...... If you just hit the unlock button inside the car it will unlock but this raises another question to me, Here in south florida you here of a car driving into a canal all the time. So say you were driving and your doors were locked and someone runs you off the road into a canal the car will short out because of the water, now you know you can’t open the door or use the unlock button..How do you get out??? I think I’m going to drive with my windows down until I get something I can carry in my car to brake the window if it ever comes down to it.
      11-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

That's where I'm from ... you mean they haven't paved over all the canals and made strip malls and Century Villages yet? Oh, wait, that must be Pembroke Pines.

Car's electrical doesn't short out from what I've seen, or it takes a long time. I've seen a car go into the water and it's headlights stay on for a long time ...

But that is weird that you can't just do the double pull and have it mechanically unlock and open the door.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
But...doesnt this trapping, only happen when you lock the doors with the remote??

If the doors autolock with driving off...they should open up ok with the double move on the handles...right??

So...if you drive off into a canal...you should be able to open the door..unless you locked them with the remote...hmmmm, meditate on this I will.
      11-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Maybe you'd get lucky and the air bags would deploy. In an accident, all doors unlock automatically. It's also unlikely that you would lose 100% power so suddenly. Most door locks are vacuum controlled, not electric (not sure on BMW) so that would still work.

Just stay out of the canals.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

I tend to believe this is an anti-theft measure.

If you lock the doors with the remote (generally, you would do this when leaving the car), then anyone who broke a window would then have to enter the vehicle by going through the window. As you've noted, they wouldn't be able to simply open the door at that point, they'd have to go in the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh
I tend to believe this is an anti-theft measure.

If you lock the doors with the remote (generally, you would do this when leaving the car), then anyone who broke a window would then have to enter the vehicle by going through the window. As you've noted, they wouldn't be able to simply open the door at that point, they'd have to go in the hard way.

But once in they could push the unlock button - unless they are maroons of course in which case they would squiggle out the same way they got in after stealing you sunglasses.

I think LedZep's advice is sound-stay on the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 12:06 AM   #7
cannonspike22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd
But...doesnt this trapping, only happen when you lock the doors with the remote??

If the doors autolock with driving off...they should open up ok with the double move on the handles...right??

So...if you drive off into a canal...you should be able to open the door..unless you locked them with the remote...hmmmm, meditate on this I will.
but once you're under water, does it matter if the door unlocks? i mean either way you're screwed because its impossible to open the door under water
      11-19-2005, 12:34 AM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

door locks are using an electric solenoid I belive
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 12:38 AM   #9
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonspike22
but once you're under water, does it matter if the door unlocks? i mean either way you're screwed because its impossible to open the door under water
It's not impossible, just very difficult. Your last option if the windows don't open and you can't smash them is suggestion #4 on this site: http://www.worstcasescenarios.com/sc...m?scenarioid=3

Richard Hammond on Top Gear in the UK did a live test with several scenarios. It is possible to get out of a submerged vehicle if you don't panic and know what to do. Let's hope no one has to use this knowledge.
Appreciate 0