E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > CEL came on...

08-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

CEL came on...

So... a couple days ago my Check Engine Light came on... I have no idea why. My car is less than 6 months old 328i e90. I started the car, drove for about 5 minutes, then the light came on while I was on the highway. I pulled off the highway, turned off the car, checked to make sure my gas cap was on tight which it was, waited for about 3 minutes, turned the car back on and the CEL was still on. So I got back on the highway and called the service manager and setup an appointment to get it looked at for this coming Tuesday. That was back on last Tuesday. On Friday night I got off work, turned my car on and the CEL light wasn't on and hasnt been on since then. Whats up with that?? The only thing I can say is that it was pretty hot over the past few days during the beginning of the week but lately its gotten a lot cooler but still, 34 degrees Celcius should be well within the threshold of the engine... I mean its not like I live in Arizona or anything.. What gives? Should I cancel the appointment or bring the car in anyways even though the light isn't on anymore?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Take the car into the dealership. At a minimum have them read the codes that are set in the ECU. The CEL wasn't blinking, so that is a good indicator that nothing major went wrong.

Do you have sufficient volume of oil, coolant, and brake fluid?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep

I would assume so I haven't checked anything... I got the car at the beginning of May and I'm real easy on the car I haven't really driven it hard... and now that the light is off I dunno if it was an oil, coolant, or brake fluid thing why would the light go back off? Man in all the years I had my Acura i never once saw the CEL light come on lol.. bah..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Its alright dude, no worries... it may be as simple as bad gas. If you have bad gas your O2 sensors could be throwing a code for emissions; meaning you could be running rich or lean.

Take it in and have them read the codes...hopefully its nothing major.

Standard procedure, check all your fluids...and it wouldnt hurt to fill up with known quality gasoline; i.e. Shell 93.

Its frustrating but dont sweat it...the car is still driveable and you werent stranded. If the CEL was blinking then i would be a little worried...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep

Thanks man. I'm not too worried. I put in Petrocan Superclean gas. Its rated as a top tier gas and I put in 91. Either way I'm not too worried thanks for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0