E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335i Buying Questions

04-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Music XD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

335i Buying Questions

Hi,

I currently have a Golf GTI Edition 30 and have just joined the forum as I’m looking at getting a getting an E92. As my current car has around 300hp, the 335i seems the best choice to me so that I can get a bit more luxury whilst keeping the kind of performance I’m used to!

So I’m looking for an M Sport auto model, around 2007-8 (preferably one in the lower tax bracket!), which means the basic spec is pretty decent anyway, but have a few questions I am struggling to find the answers to…

- Is iDrive different to Sat Nav or are they one and the same? I like my gadgets so I think it’d be a must for me! Also, even though I don’t use Navigation much, does the Professional Sat Nav offer a lot of benefits over the standard Business one?

- I know 19” alloys were an optional extra, but is the suspension set up the same whether the car has 18” or 19”’s? I love the look of 19” M359’s so if I went for those would the car need lowering?

- Is it fairly easy and cheap to change the dash trim? Ideally I want the brushed aluminum but obviously it narrows my options down again!

- Are there any other spec options that are seen as ‘must haves’?

- Mechanically, are there any things I should look out for when buying? I am slightly concerned reading about wastegate rattles, HPFP failures and cracked alloys!

Oh, and I should probably ask this on another thread, but if you run catless downpipes do you have any problems come MOT time?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
gatto667
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

A few things I can maybe help you out on,

Cracks in the alloys happen with bmw 19" alloys and run flats, one of the reasons a lot of people change to non rfts also to reduce noise and increase the comfort of the car.

Most common problems are the HPFPs, wastegate rattles, injectors and cracked alloys. Make sure when you buy the car it has a warranty also start it from when it's really cold and see if you can hear the wastegates rattle as they can't replace the gates and its usually a new turbo job if software upgrades don't work.

Just for resale value make sure it has sat nav, there are 2 types cic and ccc, the better is ccc because it runs the maps off a hard drive opposed to a DVD which is in the dash so is a lot quicker.

Must buys are get yourself a JB4 get the modding bug and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
Music XD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks! A JB4 is definitely on my list of mods; just got to find the right car first!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I drive is the system which navigates the various functions of your BMW, Sat Nav, Phone, Radio, CD and car system information. Sat nav is just one function of I Drive.
It took me 4 months of trawling the web every day to find the right car. And I ended up blowing the budget wide open.
Good luck!
WM
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

You can pay for an extended warranty through bmw.

Usually costs about £380 per year or £41 per month with breakdown cover as long as the mileage isn't too high.

You can get a quote from here.

http://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/pages/cardetails.aspx

Certainly worth the peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Edi1011
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 LeMans Blue E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatto667 View Post
A few things I can maybe help you out on,

Cracks in the alloys happen with bmw 19" alloys and run flats, one of the reasons a lot of people change to non rfts also to reduce noise and increase the comfort of the car.

Most common problems are the HPFPs, wastegate rattles, injectors and cracked alloys. Make sure when you buy the car it has a warranty also start it from when it's really cold and see if you can hear the wastegates rattle as they can't replace the gates and its usually a new turbo job if software upgrades don't work.

Just for resale value make sure it has sat nav, there are 2 types cic and ccc, the better is ccc because it runs the maps off a hard drive opposed to a DVD which is in the dash so is a lot quicker.

Must buys are get yourself a JB4 get the modding bug and enjoy
Sorry, it's the other way round CIC = Hard Drive and CCC = DVD.

CIC is usually only available from 08/58 registered cars

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
gatto667
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi1011 View Post
Sorry, it's the other way round CIC = Hard Drive and CCC = DVD.

CIC is usually only available from 08/58 registered cars

Oopsies sorry
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Music XD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers guys, I don't think I can really stretch to an 08 model so I'll probably have to settle with the older nav but as I don't use it much at all, it's not a major issue for me.

Extended BMW warranty sounds a good idea!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

dash/door trims are easy to change they just push oh but its best to buy a set of plastic trim tools off ebay for about £6 money well spent
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Davidlindsey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

i recently purchased an e92 335i coupe, i came from a 300 bhp gsi and i expected similar performance when i stepped in to the 335i ......you will not believe how different they are until you drive one...unless you already have !
The golf will feel faster and maybe more exciting if you like the feel of boost coming in hard but in reality this is the flaw in most hot hatches turbo engines.

I was recently at santa pod in my 335i racing my friend in his seat leon cupra r 265 model, but pushing approx 290 bhp....compared to my gsi his cupra has a relatively linear power delivery but still you always get that thump as the turbo wakes up and the power comes in and imo this just makes front drive turbo cars hopeless ...and ive had a few.
Side by side on the move our cars are near identical with the 335i just edging it by a narrow margin, but from a standing start or doing anything infact that involves traction in 1st and 2 nd gear and the incredible n54 engine just annihilates the cupra, racing up the drag strip the 335i pulled clear by a long way just because of its incredible traction and nasp like power delivery.

I guess its personal taste but ive always enjoyed manual gear boxes, i tried an auto but i felt a tiny bit like a passenger, the manual box seemed to give me more control and bring the car to life for me, mine has the 19 inch alloys and its an se model.
I know everyone prefers "msport" models but the se has fantastic handling, i believe the car is already 25 % stiffer than the equivalent 335i saloon and so the suspension is pretty darned firm as is, i can't imagine what an msport would feel like with 19's on.
When the car was released it was compared to the e46 m3 and it was superior in almost every way, faster , better brakes and shorter stopping distances, it matched exactly the m3 through the handling tests and the verdict was usually that the e92 would beat the m3 around a lap of a track if only it had an lsd...so the se is no lardy 2nd rate car!
If you haven't already then i would suggest you try a few different ones before buying so you can see what the different models ride like.

Mine had the abs hydraulic pump fail which is expensive and quite common.....deffinitely get a long warranty...i wouldn't buy private even if the car was mint unless it came with warranty. I had only had mine 1 week when the abs pump failed and stratstone quoted 2300 quid to fit a new one, thank goodness i had warranty.!!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

There shouldn't be any handling difference between the E92 335 models.

All E92 335 models have the same sport suspension unless the buyer requested not to have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
335i SE E92's have M Sport suspension as standard. I think the same went for 335d's too. You can sometimes get a lot more car/spec for your money in SE trim than M Sport so don't rule them out!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Music XD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you, that's great to read! Yes at the moment I'm used to the boost coming on hard and spinning the front wheels up even in 4th at 80mph+ ! It's a fun car, but I'm after a bit of a change and I don't doubt that the RWD 335i would be a very different beast but still fun!

The DSG box was the first auto I've had but for me I prefer it as I can be lazy most of the time but then flick it into manual mode when I want to use the paddles and have a bit more control, that's why I'm leaning towards another auto.

I will have a couple of test drives but I think I've already made my mind up!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marka87uk View Post
Hi,

I currently have a Golf GTI Edition 30 and have just joined the forum as I’m looking at getting a getting an E92. As my current car has around 300hp, the 335i seems the best choice to me so that I can get a bit more luxury whilst keeping the kind of performance I’m used to!

So I’m looking for an M Sport auto model, around 2007-8 (preferably one in the lower tax bracket!), which means the basic spec is pretty decent anyway, but have a few questions I am struggling to find the answers to…

- Is iDrive different to Sat Nav or are they one and the same? I like my gadgets so I think it’d be a must for me! Also, even though I don’t use Navigation much, does the Professional Sat Nav offer a lot of benefits over the standard Business one?

- I know 19” alloys were an optional extra, but is the suspension set up the same whether the car has 18” or 19”’s? I love the look of 19” M359’s so if I went for those would the car need lowering?

- Is it fairly easy and cheap to change the dash trim? Ideally I want the brushed aluminum but obviously it narrows my options down again!

- Are there any other spec options that are seen as ‘must haves’?

- Mechanically, are there any things I should look out for when buying? I am slightly concerned reading about wastegate rattles, HPFP failures and cracked alloys!

Oh, and I should probably ask this on another thread, but if you run catless downpipes do you have any problems come MOT time?

Thanks!

I would suggest you do some more reading on the engine.

The n54tech forum got some good info.

Suspension will be the same as msport unless the owner has deleted this option.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
If you are going for a 335i you pay a big premium for Msport but get relatively little extra for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

I loved the look of the 19" M3 wheels, sport suspension, M door sills and dead pedal, aero pkg., anthracite headliner, etc. etc., and felt that with this pkg. I would have few cosmetic upgrades to add. Whiter looking AE's, brighter fogs, and the JB4 were the only mods I felt that the car needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka87uk
Thank you, that's great to read! Yes at the moment I'm used to the boost coming on hard and spinning the front wheels up even in 4th at 80mph+ ! It's a fun car, but I'm after a bit of a change and I don't doubt that the RWD 335i would be a very different beast but still fun!

The DSG box was the first auto I've had but for me I prefer it as I can be lazy most of the time but then flick it into manual mode when I want to use the paddles and have a bit more control, that's why I'm leaning towards another auto.

I will have a couple of test drives but I think I've already made my mind up!
Then you'd probably be more happy with a DCT model than an Auto?

Quite rare but will probably be closer to your DSG than the Auto box.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Thank you, that's great to read! Yes at the moment I'm used to the boost coming on hard and spinning the front wheels up even in 4th at 80mph+
If you haven't fitted a decent diff in that Ed30 I'm not surprised its wank at getting some traction.

Not all FWD hatches are equal.
The Reno I have remapped (standard ATB diff) has no issues with traction at 300+ BHP.
The power output is not on/off and is almost flat from 2k up to redline.

The Scirocco R was on the shopping list until I drove one hard. Messy, ploughs off roundabouts without any effort. Needs diff.

The tuned 335i tuned really needs the LSD, and more importantly some better brakes!
      05-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlindsey View Post
When the car was released it was compared to the e46 m3 and it was superior in almost every way, faster , better brakes and shorter stopping distances, it matched exactly the m3 through the handling tests and the verdict was usually that the e92 would beat the m3 around a lap of a track if only it had an lsd...so the se is no lardy 2nd rate car!
I have a manual E92 335i at the moment (m-sport although as others have pointed out that makes no difference to the suspension on the 335) and prior to that I had an E46 M3 CS. I'm not sure who was making the comparisons to which you refer above but frankly I couldn't disagree with the sentiments more; the 335i is a competent machine but in terms of steering, handling and ride it's not a patch on the CS IMO. It's fine if you drive at 7 or 8 tenths but push harder on a twisty, undulating, road and it starts to lose its composure whereas the M3 just felt faithful and planted and encouraged you to go faster. Throw a few mid-corner bumps into the equation and the difference is even more pronounced as even on non run flats my 335i can skip around in a way the CS never did.

I'm sure you could sort most if not all of these shortcomings by spending money with someone like Birds but in my experience a standard 335i is no match for an E46 M3. Don't get me wrong, I like my 335i and it's well suited to my requirements at the moment; however, an M3 it isn't!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #20
Music XD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Lots of opinions!

When you say DCT vs Auto - I understand the auto is a single clutch so will be slower but it still has paddles so can be put in a manual mode can't it? All DCT 335i's I've seen for sale are over my budget unfortunately!

I also understand there's not much difference between the SE and M Sport models but I do prefer the body styling of the M Sport, and I'm prepared to pay the extra for that and the other little M Sport touches!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Lots of opinions!

When you say DCT vs Auto - I understand the auto is a single clutch so will be slower but it still has paddles so can be put in a manual mode can't it? All DCT 335i's I've seen for sale are over my budget unfortunately!

I also understand there's not much difference between the SE and M Sport models but I do prefer the body styling of the M Sport, and I'm prepared to pay the extra for that and the other little M Sport touches!
I think DCT was first fitted to the 335i coupe/convertible in late 2008 and hence the oldest will probably be on a 58 plate. The 6 speed automatic was a traditional torque converter gearbox but you're right, there was the option of paddles on the steering wheel. Personally I found that original paddle arrangement a bit counter intuitive as either paddle could be used to change up and down; however, I never drove one very far so perhaps you get used to it with time! That said I can't have been the only one that didn't like it as later cars with DCT moved to an M3-type set-up instead (so one paddle to change up, the other to change down); think that alteration applies only to facelift cars though so most will be 10-reg or newer.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

I was in the same situation you were a month ago. I just purchased my 2007 e92 coupe two weeks ago.

A few things I did that helped with my buying decision
-Check the average MPG on the head-unit. That will give you an idea of how hard it was driven and what kind of miles were put on the car. Anything above 20mpg should be a fair indicator that the car has mostly highway miles or wasn't driven terribly hard.

-If you can, look for a car that has the extended warranty. Many of the 2007s are starting to run out of the 6year/100k warranty, but even if it only has a few months left, you can assume the vehicle most likely was taken care of.

-Check the front/rear bumpers. I passed on a car because it was obvious it had been resprayed. There was nothing on the carfax (and usually there never is).

-Drive the car at highway speeds. Check to see if there is any kind of steering wheel vibration at 60+ mph or when you brake. The front control arm bushings are a common wear part on these cars. You can swap to M3 control arms for about $200, but it's still something to check.

-Assuming it has the Logic7 sound system, check the equalizer settings. If they're all the way turned up, the owner probably didn't know what they were doing and were probably blasting their stereo pretty hard.

-Things like dirty exhaust tips aren't the worst thing in the world. They are easy to polish up and the N54 seems to run pretty rich in stock form. As a result, carbon build-up is pretty common.

-Consider paying BMW to do an inspection on it. I had the seller pay the $180 it cost to do it. It wasn't terribly thorough, but they did note the control arm bushing wear I mentioned above.
Appreciate 0