E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > not enjoying the 335d any more

05-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

not enjoying the 335d any more

its such a strain now trying to avoid potholes/craters in the road that I just don't enjoy driving it any more. some of the roads are so littered with holes big ones with jagged edges that the risk to the tyres at £200 a throw makes driving an unpleasant experience. as summer approaches you have to be even more cautious as the shadows from trees hide all sorts of holes and road damage making any sort of quick progress a game of Russian roulette with the wheels/tyres. have been out on the bike a few times recently and can see much closer just how big and deep these holes are, at least its easier to swerve them on a bike. youd think that out of the £92 billion the government extorts from the motorist every year they could afford to fix the roads?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Hope
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 435i

Couldn't agree more, its beyond a joke, makes me want to sell my BMW and drive a sh*t heap.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

I'm driving a s**t heap right now, 1.8 1998 Mercedes C Class and I go over pot holes for a joke, laughing my way over them. I couldn't care a less if I clipped a curb, ran over some sheeps and maybe even flipped backwards.. the car has 16" wheels and it's so fun to drive!

I'm not looking forward to driving around on my new wheels with stretched tyres and pot holes the size of Russia, so I couldn't agree more with you OP!
      05-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
$pringy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91

me too, i'm slowly getting tired of dodging pot holes, might just buy an old jeep.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Pot holes upset me too, but not as much as middle lane drivers.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Thing is that pot holes don't just damage wheels and suspension

Because the road surface is breaking up, there is a lot more loose tarmac and stone on the road surface and these then get thrown up.

My own car is in for a new windscreen at the moment because of a crack caused by a stone being thrown up by the car in front. Speaking to the windscreen guy, he was saying that they never been so busy and that they put it down to the state of the roads.

But the annoying thing is that whilst my car is in the shop, the dealer has given me a brand new A7 Bi Turbo to hoon about in for a few days (£70k with options). When I picked it up on Tuesday morning it had 200 miles on the clock. By the time I got to where I was going I had a dent in the bonnet caused by a stone being thrown up from the car in front. They won't be happy with that

Grrrrr
      05-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: E93

It seems to be a national problem now. I live in London and it is amazing how many potholes there are on my way to the local supermarket (3 minutes from my house). I have noticed that it is not only on local roads but also on bigger ones (like the North Circular and the A40). When I took my car to get wheels replaced to the current ones I have, Mesh (the wrap guy) did the job of removing them to me, he found a huge crack (the size of a middle finger) and when I saw it, I remembered exactly which pothole I hit, the thing is the size of a Martian crater LOL

Roads here are starting to become like the roads of Brazil I so much complain about when I go there on holidays......
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Batts335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I know this feeling just had rear mv4 repaired as had been done by old owner and was shocking so just had 4!!! Welds that had cracked repaired so now I am driving around like I'm behind the F1 safety car as pot holes in Buckinghamshire as shocking
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

I understand how you feel i was the same with my 335d Coupe stopped enjoying the fun due to potholes also shredded 2 tyres by hitting a massive pothole so thats why i moved up to an X6! Altho no car is pothole proof lol you dont feel it as much in the X6 compared to the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

This is when I am glad I am running 17" alloys with no-RFT's.
Although the big 19" wheels look awesome, would not like to drive them on our roads.

Could be worse though.... when I drive in the west of Ireland the pot holes there are more akin to moon craters.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I know exactly how the OP and everyone feels. It's like the bloody third world out there. A disgrace. I often think of just getting something big and soft riding and to hell with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
PowerCorrupts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

I was told that it apparently costs £1000 to repair a single pot hole

Tell the government I'll do it for £200! I'd be a millionaire in no time
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCorrupts View Post
I was told that it apparently costs £1000 to repair a single pot hole

Tell the government I'll do it for £200! I'd be a millionaire in no time
Anything that involves the government costs 10x the actual cost. It is amazing reverse economics where somehow they make their economy of scale advantage come out much much worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
It is so expensive because it is not their money and they seem to not ahve to answer to anyone and wouldn't care if they did. Add in that all the contracts probably go to their friends and contractors that give backhanders and these extortinate costs just get signed off and paid. Not just for road works either.

Pretty sinical I know but I had to slalom down a local road a couple of weeks ago and the one that I hit (it was that or collide with the oncoming traffic) was so big it shook the harness from the back of the instrument cluster leaving me with a dead dashboard!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Some of the B-roads round here that used to be good fun are now only driveable down the middle of the road (which is a bit inconvenient if something's coming the other way!) and even some A-roads have nasty pot holes lurking that could easily burst a tyre and quite possibly damage a wheel as well.

I've always hated Chelsea tractors with a passion but to be honest the state of our roads has had me thinking quite seriously about the merits of something like an X5 or a Range Rover. A lot of our roads are now little better than farm tracks so maybe a 4x4 makes sense even if you've no intention of going off-road? Lousy state of affairs given the amount us motorists cough-up in tax!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Even the M25 has big holes in Essex. On a section of road thats only about 6 months old no less. Brilliant workmanship.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

offer chrismanchr some cash for his 17in alloys and bubble tyres .. he swears they are like mega comfortable
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M-Sport

I can also relate to everyone, I am constantly swerving to avoid potholes and it's becoming a real chore to drive. I am okay on familiar roads as I know where all the potholes are, but driving in unfamiliar places - I spend more time looking at the road rather than where I need to be going!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: E93

Just came back from Sheffield today, damm the roads there are horrible, London roads look like carpet compared to what I saw there :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

I totally agree with the OP, so many times i have had to avoid the potholes, i have been playing a game too see how many i avoid every day when i drive in london. Pisstake. Also the number of times i had problems with alloys cracking and buckles being formed is a pisstake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmpmarketing View Post
It seems to be a national problem now. I live in London and it is amazing how many potholes there are on my way to the local supermarket (3 minutes from my house). I have noticed that it is not only on local roads but also on bigger ones (like the North Circular and the A40). When I took my car to get wheels replaced to the current ones I have, Mesh (the wrap guy) did the job of removing them to me, he found a huge crack (the size of a middle finger) and when I saw it, I remembered exactly which pothole I hit, the thing is the size of a Martian crater LOL

Roads here are starting to become like the roads of Brazil I so much complain about when I go there on holidays......
Remind me about it mate.

The ones on the A4 near Ealing/brentford are really bad.

I think they have fixed it now.

The ones on the a406 are bad too. there were a few bad ones near westfields , ended up damaging one of my tires due to one of the big ones there.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #21
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Quote:
Just came back from Sheffield today, damm the roads there are horrible, London roads look like carpet compared to what I saw there :-)

I agree too, buckled one of my alloys there like 2 yrs ago. Going through snake pass(nice road but the others roads are really bad).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #22
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
I'm glad we made you feel welcome and I agree that the roads are a disgrace.

It's funny because the council has recently appointed a new contractor (Amey) responsible for this sort of thing and apart from a lot of high vis jackets, new vans and yellow paint on the roads I see no evidence of the supposed £2 billion worth of repairs.

And as already mentioned by others anything that involves government or local authority spending is wildly inflated. £2 billion sounds a huge amount but it won't go as far as everyone imagines. Especially when they come out to do one reported pothole and ignore the other half a dozen within a yard radius.

Rant over
Appreciate 0