E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Curbed lip refurb

05-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Maaarkk
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92/E63

Garage List
2004 E63 645CI  [0.00]
2007 Bmw E92  [10.00]
Curbed lip refurb

Posted this is my build thread, but thought I'd throw it up here in case it could help some one out or is of any interest...

So I was down town getting a bite to eat with the gf, finally found a space up one of the side streets. Was pretty small but I like to think I have decent parking skills.
Reverse in, everything's fine, about to jump out then I think... actually, i'll just go a little tighter to the curb since you know what other drivers down that way are like and I don't want them to scrape past my car.
Tight, tight, tight, scraaaaaaaape!

Managed to give my new shiny alloy some nice curb rash
Wasn't super bad but managed to get it about half way round the whole lip!!

Excuse the finger, was to show my friend the sort of size it was.

Went down to halfrauds yesterday and got my self a pack or assorted wet & dry paper.
Then got my friends dremel with a little buffer attachment, then some autosol.

Started off sanding it down with some 400grit paper, then 1200grit paper, then buffed it up with the dremel and some autosol, gave it a quick polish by hand and a wipe, then finished off with two layers of lacquer.

Turned out good as new!
First time ever trying to do a refurb on a wheel, and was surprised at how easy it was!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Good work!

I got to do mine but i know as soon as I do it is bound to get mashed again.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaarkk View Post
Posted this is my build thread, but thought I'd throw it up here in case it could help some one out or is of any interest...

So I was down town getting a bite to eat with the gf, finally found a space up one of the side streets. Was pretty small but I like to think I have decent parking skills.
Reverse in, everything's fine, about to jump out then I think... actually, i'll just go a little tighter to the curb since you know what other drivers down that way are like and I don't want them to scrape past my car.
Tight, tight, tight, scraaaaaaaape!

Managed to give my new shiny alloy some nice curb rash
Wasn't super bad but managed to get it about half way round the whole lip!!

Excuse the finger, was to show my friend the sort of size it was.

Went down to halfrauds yesterday and got my self a pack or assorted wet & dry paper.
Then got my friends dremel with a little buffer attachment, then some autosol.

Started off sanding it down with some 400grit paper, then 1200grit paper, then buffed it up with the dremel and some autosol, gave it a quick polish by hand and a wipe, then finished off with two layers of lacquer.

Turned out good as new!
First time ever trying to do a refurb on a wheel, and was surprised at how easy it was!
Looks great - may be a daft question, but when you sand it, doesnt the level of the lip change i.e. dip where you sand it?

I ask because the mrs just badly curbed her LM rep front rim
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Maaarkk
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645CI  [0.00]
2007 Bmw E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
Good work!

I got to do mine but i know as soon as I do it is bound to get mashed again.
I was always so careful, until that time I just wasn't concentrating
Will be extra careful now, although, at least I know if it happens again I can fix it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhu1 View Post
Looks great - may be a daft question, but when you sand it, doesnt the level of the lip change i.e. dip where you sand it?

I ask because the mrs just badly curbed her LM rep front rim
The level will go down a bit but as you can probably tell in my first photo mine wasn't really that bad, the amount it would have went down isn't visible to the eye. I guess if it's pretty bad or if it's a bigger chunk out of it that it would maybe be slightly noticeable, but you would just need to make sure and blend it in with the rest of the wheel to fix that rather that just down a small spot where it may be curbed.
Because mine was so far round the rim I ended up doing over half way round the lip lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Theivz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Project Z

wow what a great job!

did you hand polish with autosol? or use the dremel

also how did you apply the lacquer?
      05-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Maaarkk
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645CI  [0.00]
2007 Bmw E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theivz View Post
wow what a great job!

did you hand polish with autosol? or use the dremel

also how did you apply the lacquer?
Thanks

Used the dremel with the autosol at first, after that I wiped it down with a cloth then hand polished it with some autosol again, pretty quickly just.

For the lacquer I just sprayed it on (covering it so it was just the lip showing) left it to dry then did the same again.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Well done!!! Looks like It never happened!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

a job well done mate!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
safety_james
Safety Car Driver
Rep
Drives: E92 330D & E92 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 330D  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [5.50]
Thats great, well done!!!

The Mrs kerbed one of mine on the rear about a cm, but because they are black wheels its so much more obvious as you can see silver
      05-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Great job Mark, loving those rims, what style are they ? Where did u get them from ?
      05-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Maaarkk
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645CI  [0.00]
2007 Bmw E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
Well done!!! Looks like It never happened!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
a job well done mate!
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety_james View Post
Thats great, well done!!!

The Mrs kerbed one of mine on the rear about a cm, but because they are black wheels its so much more obvious as you can see silver
My brother has a set of black wheels on his e60. Hd hit about a cm on his too and he went and he had just touched it up with some black paint and you couldn't even tell. Maybe try touch it up a bit just and it'll look fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
Great job Mark, loving those rims, what style are they ? Where did u get them from ?
Thanks, they're Cades Tyrus. Quite a few websites do them, Chris @ cm wheels does them as well I know.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #12
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Quote:
I was always so careful, until that time I just wasn't concentrating
Will be extra careful now, although, at least I know if it happens again I can fix it up!

The level will go down a bit but as you can probably tell in my first photo mine wasn't really that bad, the amount it would have went down isn't visible to the eye. I guess if it's pretty bad or if it's a bigger chunk out of it that it would maybe be slightly noticeable, but you would just need to make sure and blend it in with the rest of the wheel to fix that rather that just down a small spot where it may be curbed.
Because mine was so far round the rim I ended up doing over half way round the lip lol.
Thanks for the response - this has got me thinking - I could potentially do the whole dish to get rid of the dreaded milking?? Presume a decent amount of lacquer would prevent re-milking?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Maaarkk
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645CI  [0.00]
2007 Bmw E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhu1 View Post
Thanks for the response - this has got me thinking - I could potentially do the whole dish to get rid of the dreaded milking?? Presume a decent amount of lacquer would prevent re-milking?
I'm no expert at wheel refurbs whatsoever, that was the first time I ever tried, but yeh, you could do the whole lip and then lacquer it and it should come out good as new!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Good job with the refurb mate.

what attachment did you use with the dremel.

Refurbed mine few weeks ago, did a thread about it on the e46zone forum(from the gloss black to a polished deep dish and hyper silver centres - bbs rs gt). The only problem i still have is that, there are some kerb rash on the front alloys, the rears are fine.

kept away from putting lacquer on it, as you have to eventually redo them once the lacquer been broken by a stone chip.

Last edited by sives; 05-09-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
MrCree
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320 SE Coupé

thanks for this, really helpful as I did the same last week!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #16
Theivz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Project Z

Quote:
Thanks

Used the dremel with the autosol at first, after that I wiped it down with a cloth then hand polished it with some autosol again, pretty quickly just.

For the lacquer I just sprayed it on (covering it so it was just the lip showing) left it to dry then did the same again.
doesn't spray lacquer just drip - or did you spray very lightly?
      05-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #17
Maaarkk
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645CI  [0.00]
2007 Bmw E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCree View Post
thanks for this, really helpful as I did the same last week!!
No prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sives View Post
Good job with the refurb mate.

what attachment did you use with the dremel.

Refurbed mine few weeks ago, did a thread about it on the e46zone forum(from the gloss black to a polished deep dish and hyper silver centres - bbs rs gt). The only problem i still have is that, there are some kerb rash on the front alloys, the rears are fine.

kept away from putting lacquer on it, as you have to eventually redo them once the lacquer been broken by a stone chip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theivz View Post
doesn't spray lacquer just drip - or did you spray very lightly?
Just used a little buffing attachment, not actually sure of the name of it, was a soft but quite rigid white disk.

And you guys are right about the spray on lacquer, it's not the best. I did it lightly and it came out pretty much fine, apart from one bit that was a little bit flaky as it had most likely dripped, so I removed it, gave in a wipe with the polish and waxed it and it's fine now. If it ever dulls down again, I'll jsut give it another polish!
Appreciate 0