E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Potential for a fast car, need pointers and advice if anyone has any..

05-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Bion_
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Potential for a fast car, need pointers and advice if anyone has any..

So I have just bought a 2009 BMW 335i Coupe while I was home in the USA in March. I had it shipped to England so I can keep driving it. I have ordered quite a bit of stuff and even better that I have saved loads of money on name brand parts. Here is what I have already ordered:

Cobb AccessPort Tuner (Stage I FMIC): Installed
ETS Intake: Installed
ETS 5" FMIC: Installed
ETS Chargepipe with Synapse Diverter Valve: Installed

ETS Catback Exhaust: In Route
BMS Kittyless Downpipes: In Route
BMS Oil Catch Can: In Route
Aquamist Methanol Kit: In Route

All in all, I have spent about $5500 (all in one week) for EVERYTHING SHIPPED. I have to give a shout out to Chris at shop.xtrperformanceDOTCOM. I just went straight to the chat and he hooked me up. I love the ETS parts I have received and the exhaust isn't too much for my taste. (I had a 2001 Trans Am WS6 before that was set up for a drag strip so I've always loved American Muscle). Chris has no doubt hooked me up and can help anyone with any parts I assure you.

I did have to go out and buy a M Sport bumper only cause I don't care for the front bumper already on the 335i's. They're boring in my opinion. I am going to install everything except for the methanol kit when they get here in late May or June. My question is, where should I take it to get it installed AND tuned? I live in Suffolk (Newmarket) but am willing to drive for someone that can produce a quality tune.

If anyone has any other questions or advice, PLEASE feel free to share. This is my first time working on a nonAmerican muscle car and it's VERY different. Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Nothing else?

You've spent a lot to make it go faster (American approach) but nothing to make it stop or corner better (European approach)

If the car was 'balanced' when you bought it, you now have a car with the capability to overcome its stopping and cornering ability rather rapidly.

With the mods you've done, I would think an LSD, Performance brakes and uprated performance dampers would round the package off nicely....otherwise it may be a lot of , especially on British roads, which are certainly not like the typical US Interstate

Cars are a lot like bodybuilders, if you only build muscle and not cardiovascular you may look better, but also get out of breath a lot faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
JP.Williams
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

If it get mapped in the UK wont it be mapped for UK type fuels?? will it still run the same back in the US?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
scaryprowler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.Williams View Post
If it get mapped in the UK wont it be mapped for UK type fuels?? will it still run the same back in the US?
With the Cobb AccessPort, you can select the fuel you're using within the map you upload to the car - US 91 Octane = UK 95 RON and US 93 Octane = UK 98 RON (or thereabouts).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #5
JP.Williams
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryprowler View Post
With the Cobb AccessPort, you can select the fuel you're using within the map you upload to the car - US 91 Octane = UK 95 RON and US 93 Octane = UK 98 RON (or thereabouts).
Always wondered what their 93 related to. Cheers for the tip
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
Bion_
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
You've spent a lot to make it go faster (American approach) but nothing to make it stop or corner better (European approach)

If the car was 'balanced' when you bought it, you now have a car with the capability to overcome its stopping and cornering ability rather rapidly.

With the mods you've done, I would think an LSD, Performance brakes and uprated performance dampers would round the package off nicely....otherwise it may be a lot of , especially on British roads, which are certainly not like the typical US Interstate

Cars are a lot like bodybuilders, if you only build muscle and not cardiovascular you may look better, but also get out of breath a lot faster.

I have been looking into the suspension. The parts that I have decided on but have not purchased yet are:

Cusco Strut Tower Brace
H&R Sway Bars
KW V1 Coilovers
StopTech Rotors
Hawk Brake Pads

I do know I will need a LSD. As far as dampers I don't know much about them and will need to do more research. If it is the part I'm thinking it is, I will want to have the sway bars so I can do the swap all at once.

I will say without a doubt that the route I took is very much American haha but I do have every intention (have already got the part list) of making it a well balanced machine. The only thing it won't really have are the looks. I have a M Sport bumper but that's it. Nothing that really makes it stand out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
Bion_
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.Williams View Post

I actually get my gas from on base so I get American 93 Octane. (we pay $1 a liter which costs me about $55 or £36 to fill up from Empty to Full... shadow brag). I will have to see what fuel is comparable in England, but I rarely ever go to a gas station outside the base.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Bion_
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well this answer my fuel question right off the bat! thanks for the info. that's good to know!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Are you sure about this?

Haven't seen this option on the accessport? Any more info?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Has this thread been done before?

Have you thought about insurance and MOT over here?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Bion_
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bear_Yid View Post
Has this thread been done before?

Have you thought about insurance and MOT over here?

MOT is done. I don't have to pay road tax til next year and my insurance is taken care of as well. Not too bad, a bit higher than the 94 Honda I was driving haha
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
scaryprowler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Are you sure about this?

Haven't seen this option on the accessport? Any more info?
I might be confusing things here... There's 3 for each stage of the Off The Shelf (OTS) maps (ok 6, if you count the throttle mappings) - Drive, Sport and Aggressive. Drive and Sport are for 91 octane and Aggressive is for 93 octane use only.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I might be confusing things here... There's 3 for each stage of the Off The Shelf (OTS) maps (ok 6, if you count the throttle mappings) - Drive, Sport and Aggressive. Drive and Sport are for 91 octane and Aggressive is for 93 octane use only.
yeah got you.

I think it's better to use 93 octane anyway. Even on a std car, there is a difference.

Hows your car running with the cobb? any misfires?
Appreciate 0