E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear Seat room vs. Acura TL (car seat) and various questions

10-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-Sport

Rear Seat room vs. Acura TL (car seat) and various questions

First off, very new here, so take that FWIW. Currently own a 2005 Acura TL which I like, but have always wanted a 3-series and may be getting closer to that goal in the next year or so.

With a baby on the way though, my one concern is the size of the car, and more importantly, its ability to accomodate a child seat (rear facing for a year or so, right?). I used to have a TSX and noticed when shuttling a friend's child that with a larger Britax turned rearward, you had to move the passenger seat all the way up. I don't really want that. I don't mind having to move it a little bit though, as we have a new Highlander for true baby duty.

The reason I ask here though is that from a specification standpoint, the difference in legroom in between the TL and the 3-series is only about .8 of an inch or so. It doesn't look that way, but I haven't even yet been able to sit in one of the new ones. Anyone on here that used to own a TL and can speak as to the real world difference in room?

Also, with respect to the 2007 MY, other than the introduction of the 335i, is there a good thread that describes any other changes? Given my experience with a VW turbo, I'd rather avoid turbo, but I don't know that I want the 330i since it was only offered in the 1st year of the redesign. I'm certainly open to the 328i, but would have to drive it to see how it compares to the TL. Unfortunately, with my wife, manual is not an option (that's why the TSX is gone).

Final question - and this is really important - will golf clubs fit across the trunk, or must they be angled?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurisprudent View Post
Final question - and this is really important - will golf clubs fit across the trunk, or must they be angled?
Golf clubs fit directly across the trunk right by where you load. They will not fit across if you want them back towards the seats. You can keep other stuff back there but not the clubs.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
LKNDC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 640i

Are you talking about a coupe or a sedan?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sedan - sorry. Coupe is way out of the question at this point in my life.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
There were a couple threads on this a while back....pretty much covered a lot of info on this...

I have an infant right now that sits in a rear facing car seat. In my opinion, whatever car you get will be cramped with a rear facing seat. Those seats take up a lot of space, and unless you get a full sized sedan, it'll be somewhat of a squeeze. When he/she moves up to a forward facing seat, you won't have a problem.

One thing to note (read this in the owner's manual the other day) is that the 3 series rear center seat is not suitable for child seats, you have to have them on either the left or right rear seat (which means that the front seat will have to be moved up some). My only advice here would be to choose a rear facing seat that takes the least amount of room.

If you go to babies r us, you can lay all their rear facing seats side by side and measure to see which ones take up the least amount of space.

Here is a 2 in one convertible car seat that can be used as a rear or forward facing seat (will save you $ in the long run), and it takes up less room than most rear facing seats:

http://chitchatbaby.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=755
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
drbimmer97
Prvt 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i xDrive M-sport

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
problem with the new 3 series is that (for some stupid reason), the seat belt attactments are fixed protruding from the base of the rear seat... when previously, you could tuck them into the base....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbimmer97 View Post
problem with the new 3 series is that (for some stupid reason), the seat belt attactments are fixed protruding from the base of the rear seat... when previously, you could tuck them into the base....
Why would you want to tuck them though? You need to use them or the car seat won't be installed properly....unless you hate your kid of course

I've been using mine with no problem
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
aldersonjames2002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
My wife had not driven in my 335i ever, so last weekend we moved the two kids seats from the MiniTank over to the 335i...not fun, those efn hooks are hard to get at. Anyway, one rear facing and the other a booster seat, they fit ok but not really a lot of room for the passenger in front of the rear facing. The biggy for my wife is that the stroller wouldn't fit in the trunk... couldn't get it in as the opening is not tall enough for anything but the thinest of strollers..

End result, I get out of using my car for any family outings... wife was pissed I bought a car that wasn't useful for our family.. well I gave her the "I'm So Sorry!!" crap and turned before I smiled. I mean thats why I bought her a fully loaded Honda Odysey..which was almost as much as my car... oh gawd, here she comes.. shhhh....

James
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonjames2002 View Post
My wife had not driven in my 335i ever, so last weekend we moved the two kids seats from the MiniTank over to the 335i...not fun, those efn hooks are hard to get at. Anyway, one rear facing and the other a booster seat, they fit ok but not really a lot of room for the passenger in front of the rear facing. The biggy for my wife is that the stroller wouldn't fit in the trunk... couldn't get it in as the opening is not tall enough for anything but the thinest of strollers..

End result, I get out of using my car for any family outings... wife was pissed I bought a car that wasn't useful for our family.. well I gave her the "I'm So Sorry!!" crap and turned before I smiled. I mean thats why I bought her a fully loaded Honda Odysey..which was almost as much as my car... oh gawd, here she comes.. shhhh....

James

Do you guys have one of those 3 wheel strollers? Most of those won't fit in the trunk of any small sized sedan. We had the same problem with the "Jeep" stroller. We ended up getting this stroller...fits perfectly, well priced, and comparable to the bug-a-boo:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2815275
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
aldersonjames2002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
What are you trying to do???? If my wife see's this I will end up with juice and cookie crumbs all over my cars backseat, not to mention she will want to drive my car...

I forgot to mention, her level of pissedness is based on the fact that other car is a two seat Porsche Speedster .. lol.. wow, do I love my wife.

James
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonjames2002 View Post
What are you trying to do???? If my wife see's this I will end up with juice and cookie crumbs all over my cars backseat, not to mention she will want to drive my car...

I forgot to mention, her level of pissedness is based on the fact that other car is a two seat Porsche Speedster.. lol.. wow, do I love my wife.

James
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Isn't the Peg Perego pretty small? Seems it may fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

I have a 2.5 year old that fits OK in the back seat (even behind me and I am 6ft tall). A family member has the TL and I cannot imagine it only has <1 inch more leg space in the back -- looked like it had much more. I can certainly say that my wife's old Accord had a decent amount more room in the back. I would not imagine e90 having more back seat room than the TSX.

As for the 328 and 335... If you're a family guy, really not into adventurous (SP?) driving and crazy about speed, the 328 is more than enough. I think it is a tad slower than the 330, but fast enough and a lot of fun to drive. I am way happy with my 325

GL
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Isn't the Peg Perego pretty small? Seems it may fit.
Nope...that's what we have (had actually). I think it's one of the biggest ones
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #15
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm... the one my sister has is quite small, at least compared to her other... but we have much to learn (1st child).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I have a 2.5 year old that fits OK in the back seat (even behind me and I am 6ft tall). A family member has the TL and I cannot imagine it only has <1 inch more leg space in the back -- looked like it had much more. I can certainly say that my wife's old Accord had a decent amount more room in the back. I would not imagine e90 having more back seat room than the TSX.

As for the 328 and 335... If you're a family guy, really not into adventurous (SP?) driving and crazy about speed, the 328 is more than enough. I think it is a tad slower than the 330, but fast enough and a lot of fun to drive. I am way happy with my 325

GL
We had an Accord and TL up until getting the '08 Highlander (which incidentally, has a limo sized back seat), and the Accord is a bit bigger in the back, believe it or not. The two cars are about the same size dimensionally, but for whatever reason, her back seat was bigger. I still don't understand the specs (Edmunds), because I agree, from an eyeball standpoint they don't look that close. And dimensionally, the 3 series is around a foot shorter, even shorter than the TSX I think.

I'm thinking the 328 may be enough. While I'm not big in to 0-60 times, etc, I find that I'm generally satisfied with a sub 7 second car. I think the TL automatic has been clocked between 6.2 and 6.9 depending on who you ask.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm... the one my sister has is quite small, at least compared to her other... but we have much to learn (1st child).
Yeah, the best way is to go somewhere like babies r us and compare them all side by side....they have a prop back seat where you can sample them next to eachother.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #18
wagonmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi Touring

I have both an '04 Acura TL and a '07 328xi, and I can honestly say that it feels like there is more back seat space in the TL than the 3-series that can accommodate a Britax Roundabout, which we used. As mentioned before, you can't position a booster/convertible seat in the center of the rear seat of the 3-series as you can in the TL; the 3-series also has more robust bolsters in the rear seat than the TL, so you have to position the seat on either side, nestled in-between the bolsters. The center console also sticks farther back in the 3-series than the TL so you get a lot of scuffing on the ash tray from little feet. Did not use the LATCH feature in either car. If you have more specific questions about the setup in either car, let me know!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #19
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The Roundabout is the seat we are looking to get for my car I believe (it's smaller than the Marathon, yes?) - I don't mind having to put it side to side, nor do I mind the scuffing - as far as having the roundabout (and I suppose the infant seat before it) turned around, did you find that your front passenger suffered in the 328 considerably more than in the TL? My wife is only about 5' 8" or so.

Also, while not quite fair since your 328 is AWD, how would you compare the two in terms of everyday driving and acceleration? One of the things I like most about the TL in addition to the power is the fact that at 80 mph I'm only turning about 2300/2400 RPM or so, and it's extremely quiet. How is the 328 by comparison (seems I read the 328 has shorter gears than the 335)?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #20
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
Nope...that's what we have (had actually). I think it's one of the biggest ones
Were you talking about the Peg Perego stroller or car seat, just for clarification? I was referring to the stroller...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #21
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Were you talking about the Peg Perego stroller or car seat, just for clarification? I was referring to the stroller...
Oh I see...I was talking about the car seat (the SIP)...but we had the stroller also (the aria), and it fit fine. Aria is their middle sized stroller...I hated it because of the small crappy plastic wheels. It makes it a pain to go anywhere that doesn't have a smooth surface. Going over tiles in the mall made it seem as if the kid was gonna get brain damage
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #22
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
Why would you want to tuck them though? You need to use them or the car seat won't be installed properly....unless you hate your kid of course

I've been using mine with no problem
You must have older kids. With younger kids, you don't use the seatbelt, you use the LATCH points exclusively.

I agree with drbimmer97, the seatbelt buckles sticking out is a big PITA because they get in the way of the seats. The LATCH points are difficult enough to access already, since they are behind little doors and recessed. The seatbelts just make it harder. If you could tuck the seatbelts in, it would make it easier for car seats. Frankly, the rear seats could be better for car seats and I suspect BMW doesn't really care because that isn't its demographic.

As for carseat room -- the E90 is a little bigger than a TSX and a little smaller than a TL. We used to have an Accord V6, and IMO it was better for car seats. I also test drove the TL, and it's quite a bit roomier in the back than the E90.

Nevertheless, I have two car seats in my car (and another kid on the way... hello X5?), one rear-facing and the other a toddler seat. For the rear-facing seat, I have to move the front seats up to where it is just a bit uncomfortable, but not anywhere close to "all the way up." The toddler seat is behind the passenger seat, and I move that all the way up if nobody's there, just to keep the seatback from getting shoe prints on it.

It is rare I have the kids in my E90, and rarer still that I'd have both in there at the same time. We have a minivan for kid hauling. But the E90 works in a pinch, as well as any small sedan for those rare occasions that I need to use it.