F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > BMW F30 Lowering Springs with MINIMAL DROP
Extreme Powerhouse

01-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

BMW F30 Lowering Springs with MINIMAL DROP

This is probably my 3rd thread related to my F30 320D's suspension issue and I have come to a conclusion that I'll settle for just the springs for now as the coilovers lowers the car quite a bit and KWs and Bilsteins are too low for Indian driving conditions even on their highest setup.

Here is a pic which shows the ground clearance of an Indian spec F30.
Name:  bmw1.jpg
Views: 4727
Size:  552.5 KB

Name:  bmw2.jpg
Views: 3834
Size:  472.3 KB

Name:  bmw3.jpg
Views: 3198
Size:  523.7 KB
My car has the same suspension (base comfort) and I'm looking for a SLIGHT DROP (around 15-20mm from it's current height). From what I have heard, the H&R Sports makes the car too bouncy so I have shortlisted the following options;

1. M-Sport Suspension Springs
2. Dinan Performance Suspension System
3. Other
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Which part of India are you driving in?

I'd say keep it MPS because it'll give you apparently more clearance than the Dinan, which some are claiming is giving a 20mm drop off of the sport suspension (Dinan is 20mm off of the sport suspension)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Which part of India are you driving in?

I'd say keep it MPS because it'll give you apparently more clearance than the Dinan, which some are claiming is giving a 20mm drop off of the sport suspension (Dinan is 20mm off of the sport suspension)
Mumbai-Delhi with occasional trips by road with 3-4 people on board between these two cities... Heard that the MPS is too low and too stiff hence not too sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Maybe a sport suspension is the middle ground? I'm not sure the diff between that and luxury though. I guess just look at a sport and see if you like it.
      01-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Guys, this is a VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION. There is someone selling the M Sport shocks and spring and we are on the verge of finalising. Will there be any installation issues if I get those? He only has the front and rear shocks plus springs. Will there be any fitment issues? If yes, what additional parts will I need? Once again reminding you all that mine's a base standard suspension. Here is the last 7 digit of my VIN: NP10090
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Guys, this is a VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION. There is someone selling the M Sport shocks and spring and we are on the verge of finalising. Will there be any installation issues if I get those? He only has the front and rear shocks plus springs. Will there be any fitment issues? If yes, what additional parts will I need? Once again reminding you all that mine's a base standard suspension. Here is the last 7 digit of my VIN: NP10090
You should also get the sway bars that come with the M sport cars. I don't know how many or the exact item, but there are 2 bars that need to be upgraded as well. This is required for MPS as well, so you should get them regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12
It'll fit fine.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #8
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
It'll fit fine.
I got a quote from the dealer which had several screws, bolts and stabilizer mentioned hence I'm wondering... Are you sure it will fit without any issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12
Quote:
It'll fit fine.
I got a quote from the dealer which had several screws, bolts and stabilizer mentioned hence I'm wondering... Are you sure it will fit without any issues?
Yes.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

How about SPORT/M SPORT SUSPENSION SPRINGS on STANDARD SUSPENSION GUYS ? Shouldn't it be the best option? AFAIK, the M-Sport/Sport Suspension is only 10mm lower than the standard suspension and that's what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
How about SPORT/M SPORT SUSPENSION SPRINGS on STANDARD SUSPENSION GUYS ? Shouldn't it be the best option? AFAIK, the M-Sport/Sport Suspension is only 10mm lower than the standard suspension and that's what I'm looking for.
you should get the whole setup (including shocks).
      01-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
you should get the whole setup (including shocks).
Asking it yet again, will the M Sport/Sport shocks and springs fit a car with standard suspension or will anything additional be needed like stabilizer, bolts, etc ??
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Asking it yet again, will the M Sport/Sport shocks and springs fit a car with standard suspension or will anything additional be needed like stabilizer, bolts, etc ??
I am not sure, as the way the shocks/springs sit on each car may be different. I would think you may want the larger roll bars, as the whole suspension of the car would be impacted.

You are in a tough situation my friend, I wish I could offer more insight.
      01-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
I am not sure, as the way the shocks/springs sit on each car may be different. I would think you may want the larger roll bars, as the whole suspension of the car would be impacted.

You are in a tough situation my friend, I wish I could offer more insight.
Haha I know buddy. Tough situation. Looks like I'll just get the OEM M Sport/Sport springs and use em with my stock shocks for now. The Sport suspension is 10mm lower than standard so a mere 10mm drop shouldn't effect the shocks and make the ride stiff, what say?

PS: Your car looks fantastic. I was confused between Melbourne Red and AW and your car's snaps played an important role in me opting for the AW
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Haha I know buddy. Tough situation. Looks like I'll just get the OEM M Sport/Sport springs and use em with my stock shocks for now. The Sport suspension is 10mm lower than standard so a mere 10mm drop shouldn't effect the shocks and make the ride stiff, what say?

PS: Your car looks fantastic. I was confused between Melbourne Red and AW and your car's snaps played an important role in me opting for the AW
Adi,

If I'm not mistaken, your suspension looks significantly taller than the base US spec suspension. If I were to guess, your car has special shocks/springs to give a comfortable ride and raise the ride height.

So that being said, going for a US spec M sport kit (springs/shocks) will probably drop your car a lot more than 10mm. From what I can see, I'd say 20mm-30mm.

But the good thing is, the M sport springs/shocks should be plug and play. The only last thing I would recommend is that larger anti-roll bars that come standard with the sport/M sport cars in the US. If those are easy enough to purchase through BMW parts catalog, it'll be worth doing. Otherwise you'll have the stiff suspension but still lots of body roll. Though I suppose it'll still be better than base. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Adi,

If I'm not mistaken, your suspension looks significantly taller than the base US spec suspension. If I were to guess, your car has special shocks/springs to give a comfortable ride and raise the ride height.

So that being said, going for a US spec M sport kit (springs/shocks) will probably drop your car a lot more than 10mm. From what I can see, I'd say 20mm-30mm.

But the good thing is, the M sport springs/shocks should be plug and play. The only last thing I would recommend is that larger anti-roll bars that come standard with the sport/M sport cars in the US. If those are easy enough to purchase through BMW parts catalog, it'll be worth doing. Otherwise you'll have the stiff suspension but still lots of body roll. Though I suppose it'll still be better than base. Good luck!
Thanks Momo! From my little knowledge about car's suspension, I feel the little spacer kind of a thing that you see in the pic below is responsible for this height increase and the rear shocks are the same as the standard US specced F30 shocks. I'm planning to get em removed BUT I THINK that the front struts are totally different. I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone can shed some light...My VIN is NP10090.

The last option I could think off is buying the US spec front struts (standard), removing those spacers at the rear and replacing the springs with the US spec M-Sport/Sport ones

Name:  ss.jpg
Views: 3078
Size:  81.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sounds good, keep us posted on your install.

Thanks man!! Good to hear man, glad you went for AW. Car looks even better in person, pictures never do justice ha.
      01-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #18
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Won't the car be more comfortable if I install M Sport/Sport springs on the standard suspension rather than installing one of those Eibach/H&R lowering springs?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #19
BMWMB
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

AC Schnitzer lowers less than H&R.
      01-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

do it once and do it right! This is a 50k+ car. A suspension is worth 2-5k to do it properly. Cosmetic changes (springs only) are best for show cars or smooth driving conditions.

the best OEM suspension is the MPS. On your car m-sport ARB and new MP shocks/springs
the best sport suspension is the one with DHP - not possible on your car
the best sport suspension is sport shocks and sport springs along with m-sport ARB

if you install H&R springs, dinan springs, Eibach springs, M-sport springs you are highly recommended to install the m-sport shocks AND ARB

if you install H&R springs, dinan springs, m-sport springs or eibach springs on base suspension shocks and base ARB, you will not improve handling on all surfaces. on smooth roads you will improve a bit, but if there are rough patches on the road or you hit a bump in a turn, you will unsettle your car.

if you install H&R springs, dinan springs, m-sport springs or eibach springs on m-sport suspension shocks but base ARB, it will be a better match, but you will notice the same amount of body roll. Again, possibly unsettling your car mid turn.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 01:26 PM   #21
Shashank1997
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

New post and need some guidance

Hello guys.
I have a bmw f30 320d, I’m from Bangalore.
I recently ordered for the cobra lowering springs with a 30mm drop. I had a few queries regarding the fitment and the safety of the car. Currently I’m running on 245/45/R18 OZ wheels and Continental contisport tyres.

I just got the springs, I haven’t installed them yet. It’s gonna be a 30mm drop. Is there anything else I have to do? I’m currently running on a budget. This is gonna be a daily driver for the new few months.

Any kind of advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0