E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My "review" on the 320i X-Drive (F30)

01-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #1
Kassim786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d (E93) M-sport

My "review" on the 320i X-Drive (F30)

Had this car for a few days an to be honest I have very mixed reviews compared to the 320d (F30)

Drive

When driving the car I must say it put a huge smile on my face, I was very sceptical about the X-Drive system but it genuinely does a good job. Each corner I took I could feel a difference to my vehicle (E93). It worked well in the rain and certianly around round abouts

The ride is really comfortable considering they were on RFT's and when you out it into sport mode you can certianly feel the throttle sharpen up. The revs also sit higher than normal mode, for a 4 cylinder engine this sure dies make a decent growl.

The car has 181bhp but in my opinion bring a naturally aspirated engine you only feel the power above 3,000 RPM ( almost like a Cuvic type R ) the power is car flat on bottom end but get up to those higher revs and you'll see the mph needle go crazy

----Practicality ----

Owning my E93 I always have the issue if practicality, but the F30 is very good in this area. It has a spacious boot and I had my whole family in the car (5 passengers) who all sat comfortable.

---- Fuel consumption ----

This car is very poor at mpg, I used it on a mixture of roads A,B town runs and even motorway. The car just didn't want to go above 30mpg and it wasn't me being heavy footed either.

After having the car for a few days I worked out that overall I was averaging out around 21-24mpg ?!?!?? ( maybe because the engine is still at 4,700 miles from new ?)

------- Look's-----

Not going to lie, iv never been very fond of the F30 as it just looks like a squished E9X from the front. You can't tell from the back wether it's a F30 or a new F10 5 series. Although this car does have nice lines It's not an M sport therefor doesn't benefit from the aggressive we style lines.

Even in M sport form I'd still choose a E9X model as they look miles better in my opinion.

The dash of the vehicle looks nice, they have tried to change from the standard Bmw style of orange dials and the inbuilt I drive system. Instead opting for a much more open sat Nav system and the dash has more emphasis on electronic display.

The car that I had also had a lovely interior package with bits of red contrasting with the seats, dash and even the keys. It's a nice touch but to be honest I think Bmw could have done better with the styling if the seats. They look like bog standard ones you get in Skoda, let's face it we aren't expecting a Ferrari style seat but at least something nice ?

All in all thank you if you did read this review, these are my opinions and just want to clarify that Incase there's some tension out there

Cheers guys but the E93 is a keeper
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
The car has 181bhp but in my opinion bring a naturally aspirated engine you only feel the power above 3,000 RPM ( almost like a Cuvic type R ) the power is car flat on bottom end but get up to those higher revs and you'll see the mph needle go crazy
Erm isn't the n20 a twinscroll turbo engine?

I wonder how much the x-drive system affects the fuel consumption.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #3
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

Thanks for a good simple review...

I have never been keen on the F30 as it is basically a 5 series IMO. It does not have the classic E9x design which made the 3 series look completely different from any other series.

I think the new M3 looks ok from the pictures i've seen and the 4 series has my attention but for now like yourself i'll stick with my E93.

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Jamie_E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
good review but the engine is turbo not n/a
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Nice review

What made you test drive a 320xi sport though?

That must one of the worst configurations of the F30 available.