E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 Service : Dealer Query

01-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

M3 Service : Dealer Query

Hey guys,

Purchased an M3 used from Stratstone two weeks ago. Its under warranty etc but have a quick Q. Before selling me the car, should they have serviced the car? Im under the impression they should have. Also the wheel alignment is out and driver side window is squeaking.

Are they supposed to carry out a certain check of the car before selling this to me?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
They will only service the car if it was required. They wouldn't of just serviced it because you bought it as that would of thrown the condition based service schedule out by servicing it early.

The alignment and window should be covered via the AUC warranty.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice 1 mate, cheers !
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Not terribly helpful

Normally they would service the car if it was within a few thousand miles of needing a service. It would helpful if I knew how many miles, but I don't. In a similar vein, tyres with less than 4mm of tread are generally replaced before the car is sold.

Faults like incorrect wheel alignment and squeaky windows should be repaired under their used car warranty. There is an obligation to provide you with a properly adjusted car.

How do you know that the wheel alignment is out? It must be a long way out for you to notice it by any means other than tyre wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Normally they would service the car if it was within a few thousand miles of needing a service. It would helpful if I knew how many miles, but I don't. In a similar vein, tyres with less than 4mm of tread are generally replaced before the car is sold.

Faults like incorrect wheel alignment and squeaky windows should be repaired under their used car warranty. There is an obligation to provide you with a properly adjusted car.

How do you know that the wheel alignment is out? It must be a long way out for you to notice it by any means other than tyre wear.
They replaced the tyres, i made sure they did as when i went to collect the car i noticed a flat tyre on the car which they didn't. They sold me the car with 1700 miles left before service. Wheel alignment is out and steering is pulling to the right. Checked tyres and pressures etc. Took it to a local garage who checked it out and diagnosed that, didn't have it sorted by them as i will be doing it through warranty.

Should i be pushing for a free service? they probably are not obliged to do it but when you spend 28k on a car you would think they would have done the work before hand.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
1700 miles is a bit close. I thought there was a limit of about 4000 miles for an AUC. Might be worth looking up the terms and conditions. Especially as a 30k mile service isn't going to be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
1700 miles is a bit close. I thought there was a limit of about 4000 miles for an AUC. Might be worth looking up the terms and conditions. Especially as a 30k mile service isn't going to be cheap.
Looks as though you are right mate ;

http://www.pistonheads.com/approved/bmw/

refer to point 3 !

Im actually a bit pi**ed off with stratstone now, whats the best way to go about this to ensure they agree to do the service ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1987 View Post
Looks as though you are right mate ;

http://www.pistonheads.com/approved/bmw/

refer to point 3 !

Im actually a bit pi**ed off with stratstone now, whats the best way to go about this to ensure they agree to do the service ?
I'd have a chat with the sales person and ask him/her when you should be booking the car in for the "free" service it's due as part of the AUC T's and C's. Expect some excuses, but stick to your guns.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
I'd have a chat with the sales person and ask him/her when you should be booking the car in for the "free" service it's due as part of the AUC T's and C's. Expect some excuses, but stick to your guns.
Thank you for your help mate, i would probably never have thought to look for that in T's & C's. You just saved me alot of money by sounds of it, appreciate it. I'll let you know how that conversation with them goes tomorrow.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #10
stevens
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I was told by my dealer when I bought my car that anything under 4k miles would be done by the dealer, so if you had 1700 miles to the service, they should have done it tbh
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Correct, anything under 4k should have been done. Might be worth checking the service book incase they forgot to reset the computer, a quick check of the oil too, as it should be reasonably clear. If indeed it has not been done, along with your other issues, it sounds like the car has not had its used car pdi thingy done, there is a checklist they need to follow. Then I'd be kicking off personally, piss poor service.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.com View Post
Correct, anything under 4k should have been done. Might be worth checking the service book incase they forgot to reset the computer, a quick check of the oil too, as it should be reasonably clear. If indeed it has not been done, along with your other issues, it sounds like the car has not had its used car pdi thingy done, there is a checklist they need to follow. Then I'd be kicking off personally, piss poor service.
Service book has not been stamped, and computer not reset. I argued with them today and they sent me an invoice saying the work had been carried out in july 2013. I think they bulls***ted the invoice as i find it hard to believe they have missed both the service book stamp and the computer reset.

I told them i want it done otherwise i won't be satisfied and they are refusing, based on the invoice they produced.

Iv spoken with BMW customer service who said they will be 'investigating' but i have no faith in these guys anymore. If this is not resolved and a service carried out and stamped, where do you think i stand with returning the car?

i have only owned the car since January 15th 2014 and saved up for the car for a long time, and they ruined the whole idea of owning and enjoying the car.

Any advice from anyone will be much appreciated as i am in a bit of a sh*t situation and don't really know what i am supposed to do now.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
ndj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm guessing the service was undertaken by the previous owner as the dealer would not service a stock car. Does the invoice they presented have the previous owner's contact details? I suspect that's the only way you'll find out for sure.

Who are you talking to? Raise the issue with the Dealer Principal.

I've had a less than perfect AUC experience with Sytner when I purchased my M3 so it does happen, but didn't let it ruin the experience.

Be firm with them. Put it in writing. And if you're going to reject the car you should stop driving it until the matter is resolved (I've rejected 2 so know the drill)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndj View Post
I'm guessing the service was undertaken by the previous owner as the dealer would not service a stock car. Does the invoice they presented have the previous owner's contact details? I suspect that's the only way you'll find out for sure.

Who are you talking to? Raise the issue with the Dealer Principal.

I've had a less than perfect AUC experience with Sytner when I purchased my M3 so it does happen, but didn't let it ruin the experience.

Be firm with them. Put it in writing. And if you're going to reject the car you should stop driving it until the matter is resolved (I've rejected 2 so know the drill)
The invoice is the dealerships own, its just got the service advisors name as the invoiced to section. if it helps i can upload a copy etc so you can have a quick look through.

Im currently in contact with BMW customer service who said they would look investigate it, i assume all they will do is speak with Stratstone and come back refusing to do anything about it really. I just find it hard to believe that an authorised dealer 'forgot' to stamp the book and reset the computer. Flat tyre on the day i went to collect the car too, and car stopped on a dual carriageway on previous test drive due to no fuel as soon as we drove off the lot.

Hopefully they resolve it, otherwise i guess i will have to write to them which they will probably take a year to reply too.

Who would i contact above customer service? BMW Germany? Head Office?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
ndj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

When the service was undertaken was the car owned by the previous owner or the dealer.? If it was the dealer you have your answer because a dealer will not invest money into a car they don't have a secured sale on.

If it was in the possession of the previous owner ask yourself this.... if he or she had just paid out for a BMW service would you expect them to receive a stamped book and have the service interval reset on the OBC? Would you?

Personally I smell a rat and if it were me I'd arrange a meeting with the dealer principal and tell him exactly that, then ask him how he is going to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Remember that your contract is with the dealer not BMW UK or elsewhere so I'd focus on a resolution with them in the first instance. Act quickly though. The longer you leave it the lesser the opportunity for rejection from a legal standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Unfortunately it does look as if they are trying to pull a fast one.

A few things to consider, does the oil look relatively fresh? what mileage does the invoice state the work was carried out at? How old is the car? Was it just the oil that needed doing? The idrive may only say oil but it could need all the filters doing if its of a certain age/mileage. Take your key to another garage and ask them to check what is due with a key read.

Fyi, when a used car is sold, all the work carried out against it is charged by the garage as if it were joe bloggs from the street - so i'm told! So the salesman always try their level best to keep the prep work to a minimum so not to chip away at their profit margin. Thats why shit like this is likely to happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #17
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndj View Post
When the service was undertaken was the car owned by the previous owner or the dealer.? If it was the dealer you have your answer because a dealer will not invest money into a car they don't have a secured sale on.

If it was in the possession of the previous owner ask yourself this.... if he or she had just paid out for a BMW service would you expect them to receive a stamped book and have the service interval reset on the OBC? Would you?

Personally I smell a rat and if it were me I'd arrange a meeting with the dealer principal and tell him exactly that, then ask him how he is going to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Remember that your contract is with the dealer not BMW UK or elsewhere so I'd focus on a resolution with them in the first instance. Act quickly though. The longer you leave it the lesser the opportunity for rejection from a legal standpoint.
The service was apparently done in possession of the dealer. I have tried to speak with them guys at Stratstone but they are unreasonable and pretty clueless. It took them four days to phone me back after i left message after message. The only way i was able to get someone to talk to me was because i phoned BMW customer service and they called on my behalf, and guess what . . . the sales advisor was available to talk on that occasion. They have just been ignoring my calls. Definetly something dodgy going on.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.com View Post
Unfortunately it does look as if they are trying to pull a fast one.

A few things to consider, does the oil look relatively fresh? what mileage does the invoice state the work was carried out at? How old is the car? Was it just the oil that needed doing? The idrive may only say oil but it could need all the filters doing if its of a certain age/mileage. Take your key to another garage and ask them to check what is due with a key read.

Fyi, when a used car is sold, all the work carried out against it is charged by the garage as if it were joe bloggs from the street - so i'm told! So the salesman always try their level best to keep the prep work to a minimum so not to chip away at their profit margin. Thats why shit like this is likely to happen.
The invoice says the work was carried out 24th June 2013 at 46600 miles, car is currently on 47750. The invoice shows pretty much a proper service being undertaken but i just won't trust it as they didn't stamp the book or reset comp. Without that stamp alone it will de-value my car. The car is registered in 2010.

Oil was checked on saturday evening and does not look like it is new, does not look clean as 1000miles driven on it.

I am pretty sure they didn't do anything to the car other then wash it lol
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

You need to follow everything you talk with either the dealer or BMW with a letter or email now and keep a diary. Back date everything that has happened to date and add to the diary. Send that diary to them to show you are organised.

Do you know how the alignment was knocked out? Was it related to the flat? Get it in writing too that you were handed a car that was unsafe to drive.

Ask them to throw in the next service when the CBS rolls in a thousand miles. Do not accept them just resting the computer. Consider requesting they pay for service at another dealer because would you trust they'd actually do the service?

If they refuse try a letter with a date you will hand it back if not done, and then the sales rep can think about doing the same with his bonus before he / she answers.

Stratstone is a reasonable size franchise so there is escalation available. I managed to get CEO of sytner on the phone at a family BBQ when my used purchase shenanigans of a previous car lasted over a year (slightly more serious than service and assignment) They were resolved quickly after that and I think they've now addressed their issues (thank goodness for them)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #20
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Valid points from everyone so far. Reference the missing service - you could phone any other BMW dealer, speak to their service dept and ask them to tell you when your car last had (or is next due) a service. If they 'forgot' to log it on their computers too, that adds yet more weight to your argument.
      01-29-2014, 04:25 AM   #21
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Valid points from everyone so far. Reference the missing service - you could phone any other BMW dealer, speak to their service dept and ask them to tell you when your car last had (or is next due) a service. If they 'forgot' to log it on their computers too, that adds yet more weight to your argument.
I phoned a couple of other Stratstone dealerships who say they have no history of the car being serviced at all. This is getting worse by the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #22
Johnny1987
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
You need to follow everything you talk with either the dealer or BMW with a letter or email now and keep a diary. Back date everything that has happened to date and add to the diary. Send that diary to them to show you are organised.

Do you know how the alignment was knocked out? Was it related to the flat? Get it in writing too that you were handed a car that was unsafe to drive.

Ask them to throw in the next service when the CBS rolls in a thousand miles. Do not accept them just resting the computer. Consider requesting they pay for service at another dealer because would you trust they'd actually do the service?

If they refuse try a letter with a date you will hand it back if not done, and then the sales rep can think about doing the same with his bonus before he / she answers.

Stratstone is a reasonable size franchise so there is escalation available. I managed to get CEO of sytner on the phone at a family BBQ when my used purchase shenanigans of a previous car lasted over a year (slightly more serious than service and assignment) They were resolved quickly after that and I think they've now addressed their issues (thank goodness for them)
Thanks for the info mate, i will definetly be writing to them and making a diary of it all. How long is it before i can give the car back? They have my previous car that i traded in and am unsure what they have done with it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0