E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Private Number Plate - Help

02-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 325d N57

Private Number Plate - Help

Just thinking about getting a private number plate for my E92.

Does anyone know the cheapest place to look?

Also, you have to pay £80 to transfer it to new car, and another £80 if you change car and want to transfer it over, but when you do this, do you have to pay again to transfer the original plate back to the initial car you sell on?

I am looking at the plate X2 LDN...any comments? Certain letters look better than other, any suggestions? What do you think of one mentioned.

I dont want to pay more than £500.00. Main reason is just to get a dateless plate but also something that looks half decent.

Thanks in advance as always lads
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Dvla website is best place really!

That includes the transfer fee in the total price so you can put it on right away!

Once you own the plate, you need to put the plate on retention when you take off your current vehicle, you can chose 1 year, 2 year.. This a minimum of £110 for that, it includes the transfer of the old plate back onto the car and the transfer to the new car!

Does that plate mean anything to you?! If it does then only you can decide if it's a good plate!

Mine is my initials so pretty personal, in my opinion it's pointless getting a plate that has no relevance or importance to anything/you!
      02-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post

That includes the transfer fee in the total price so you can put it on right away!

Once you own the plate, you need to put the plate on retention when you take off your current vehicle, you can chose 1 year, 2 year.. This a minimum of £110 for that, it includes the transfer of the old plate back onto the car and the transfer to the new car!

Does that plate mean anything to you?! If it does then only you can decide if it's a good plate!

Mine is my initials so pretty personal, in my opinion it's pointless getting a plate that has no relevance or importance to anything/you!

^^^^^
What he said.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

You technically never own the plate, just the right to use it, misuse can mean it's taken away. This has never happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was also looking at a priv plate, I have no idea how it works as i've never looked into it before.

DVLA want £250 for the one im looking at, which includes all fee's as far as I know, so is that all I pay?? What's this retention thing? Does that mean that if I remove the plate say when I sell the car I need to pay to keep it until it's on my new car?

Also, how does it work with regards to V5/Ins documents/tax disc do they need updating? (more costs?)
      02-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post

Thanks for reply mate!

This £110 fee...are you saying i have to pay to keep my current original number plate on ice until i move my private plate to a new car by which time I would replace my "original plate" on the car in order to sell it as obv you cant sell a car plateless
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #7
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
I was also looking at a priv plate, I have no idea how it works as i've never looked into it before.

DVLA want £250 for the one im looking at, which includes all fee's as far as I know, so is that all I pay?? What's this retention thing? Does that mean that if I remove the plate say when I sell the car I need to pay to keep it until it's on my new car?

Also, how does it work with regards to V5/Ins documents/tax disc do they need updating? (more costs?)
When you take in your certificate of new personalised plate to the dvla, they change mot, v5 and tax for you, that's part of the transfer fee so included in the purchase price if you buy from the dvla!

All you pay is £250 plus the purchase of the physical plate, from an online place of halfrauds for example!

Retention fee is when you sell the car and remove your pay, you pay to keep the plate 'in retention' while it's not on a car until you swap it onto another car! Then, as you have paid, it will be free on the day you transfer it to your new car!
      02-18-2014, 02:12 AM   #8
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeebo8452 View Post
Thanks for reply mate!

This £110 fee...are you saying i have to pay to keep my current original number plate on ice until i move my private plate to a new car by which time I would replace my "original plate" on the car in order to sell it as obv you cant sell a car plateless
Nope, you only pay retention for removing your personal plate!

The dvla are in control with all other plates!

You pay to remove and transfer your personal plate only!

When you take your private off a car, the dvla put the old one back on, or in some case, a different one!
      02-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #9
corasdad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: m sport 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
What's this retention thing? Does that mean that if I remove the plate say when I sell the car I need to pay to keep it until it's on my new car?

retention is for when you remove it from the car its on , if you buy another car the same time as you sell yours I think you just transfer the plate over without having to pay the retention charge,this charge is for when you take your plate off for a while ie a month a year ect
2006 320d Msport,sunshades, remapped , strut brace, air scoops, black grills,custom exhaust , performance filter, light up gear knob ,blue led interior lights,leather wrapped dash trims, csl spoiler more to come
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 03:51 AM   #10
ndj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Personally I wouldn't waste money on a DVLA "prefix" or current style registration. They have no value, look naff, and aren't dateless - the one you mentioned is 2000.

I'd double your budget and find what is considered to be a real dateless reg, e.g. ABC 123, or 321 XYZ. There is always a market to sell this type of reg in the event you move on.

Try these guys... http://www.theprivateplateco.co.uk/ Speak to Martyn. Know's his stuff and is always prepared to deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

The retention fee is for keeping the plate off a car for over a year.

If you buy a plate now, and put it on your car, and you're buying the plate from DVLA, then that's all you pay apart from the physical number plates.

When you come to sell the car, apply to put your personal plate on retention. DVLA will come back to you with an "original" number - it may be the one that came off the car, it may something completely different. You'll have to go through the hassle of changing the insurance details etc, and wait for the V5 to come back from DVLA.

Unless you buy your replacement car from a main dealer, you MUST do this before hand. Why? a) would you buy a car without a proper V5? and b) even if you enter into a contract with the buyer to transfer the plate, he is under no obligation to do so - he can just keep it on the car if he wants to, and there is nothing you can do about it.

You have a year to put the private plate onto a car, then you'll pay (IIRC) £25 to extend the retention period by another year.

The original retention/transfer fee is either £105 or £110, I forget which. You pay no more when you do put the plate on to your new car.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:12 AM   #12
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Sure that's what I just said! Umm parrot!
      02-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Lci

I've bought a few off eBay cheap I always buy them on retention, then the only fee you have to pay is the £25 nominee
I bought my last one for £133 + £25 nominee bargain
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

I paid £100 for this plate

Then cost £25 to whack it on. Bit of a bargain imo

Has a J in it and i like the fact it says EGO for a laugh

Cant go wrong for £100
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
1jazz1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

i came on to post the same question. I've been looking for a jaz plate for days now and its the same ones and their out of my budget. now i'll resort to anything that looks decent.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #16
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
I paid £100 for this plate

Then cost £25 to whack it on. Bit of a bargain imo

Has a J in it and i like the fact it says EGO for a laugh

Cant go wrong for £100
Im confused, doesnt it cost £80 to transfer the plate? How comes it was only £25. Is this retention thing different to a normal purchase of a private plate?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsport View Post
I've bought a few off eBay cheap I always buy them on retention, then the only fee you have to pay is the £25 nominee
I bought my last one for £133 + £25 nominee bargain
Im confused, doesnt it cost £80 to transfer the plate? How comes it was only £25. Is this retention thing different to a normal purchase of a private plate? Im having a serious blonde moment. Ive looked at the plate V5 LDN which is about £500 including the £80 fee. Is there a way I can avoid the £80 fee and only pay this £25 that Ive heard a few people mention.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Quote:
Im confused, doesnt it cost £80 to transfer the plate? How comes it was only £25. Is this retention thing different to a normal purchase of a private plate?
I bought it privately off a lad who already had it on retention. So only cost me £25 to put it onto my car
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
I bought it privately off a lad who already had it on retention. So only cost me £25 to put it onto my car
So with this retention thing you pay this lad whatever he wants for the plate whether it be £100 or whatever and then you have to pay £25 to dvla to get it put on your car? whats the process in putting the plate on your car and how long does it take. One other thing, do you have the plate indefinetely or do you have to pay £25 every year.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #20
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Retention is when the plate is on a certificate (transfer fee has been paid)
You then need to pay £25 (nominee) to get the certificate put in you name so you can put it on your car
Hope this helps as I'm on my 8th bottle
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #21
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsport View Post
Retention is when the plate is on a certificate (transfer fee has been paid)
You then need to pay £25 (nominee) to get the certificate put in you name so you can put it on your car
Hope this helps as I'm on my 8th bottle
Makes sense, and you keep it indefinitely without any annual payments to keep it.

Lol 8th bottle on a tuesday, steady on haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So with this retention thing you pay this lad whatever he wants for the plate whether it be £100 or whatever and then you have to pay £25 to dvla to get it put on your car? whats the process in putting the plate on your car and how long does it take. One other thing, do you have the plate indefinetely or do you have to pay £25 every year.
Let me try put it in terms
If you have a private plate on your car and you want to sell it no fuss you would put it on retention cost £120
If the plate was on your car and wanted to transfer it onto another of your cars would cost you £80
As a buyer and you wanted to buy a plate off me that was on retention (already paid) the certificate would be in my name so would cost you £25 (nominee) to put it in your name so then can go on your car
I hope I'm talking spence as on 9/12 bottle now
Once it's on your car you own the right to display the plate and there is no yearly fee if you keep it on retention it costs yealy to renew
Appreciate 0