E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 325i idle whine

04-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Toke Jansen
Rep
Drives: 325i Touring

325i idle whine

Hi

My 325i is making a whining (high pitch) sound in idle. I don't think the sound comes from the belt/tensioner but more like from the side of the engine, -see the video:

I appreciate if anyone can help me on this issue.

Kind regards Toke
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Did you change the oil and or add any?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
Toke Jansen
Rep

Yes, it just had an oil change. However, that didn't change a thing. Moreover, in terms of oil consumption I don't think there are any oil leaks. Could it be a vacuum leak? -also, it had the water pump changed a few moths ago, and I doubt that the sound was there before?

//Toke
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well my brother once put too much oil in his car and started to make a whining noise around Idle. Happened to me once too.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Toke Jansen
Rep

I don't think it's caused by too much oil. The level is fine, and as I said, the sound was also there prior to the oil change. Any other ideas ?

Kind regards Toke
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toke Jansen View Post
I don't think it's caused by too much oil. The level is fine, and as I said, the sound was also there prior to the oil change. Any other ideas ?

Kind regards Toke
Yes it only shows when there is too little doesn't show anything when there is too much. If it was there before then I'm not really sure. And from what I could tell from the video it sounds like normal operation of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
Toke Jansen
Rep

Hmm, I seriously doubt the high pitch noise is normal.
Any other suggestions? Could it be a failing alternator?

Kind regards Toke
Appreciate 0