E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335D loss of power

05-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

335D loss of power

I know this has been covered loads but just thought id updare with my situation.

Car suddenly lost power throughout the rev range on Monday. No warning lights. Just revs slowly and low in power.

Under warranty so got it booked in tomorrow with the dealer. Hopefully they find it quick and sort it out with no BS!

I was going to check for error codes but cant find my bloody cable. Was also going to order new suspension on Tuesday. Bloody typical!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
danb21t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le Mans 335d M Sport

...and then takes off like a rocket?

Could be the classic vacuum controllers issue. Warranty will see you right.
      05-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Could be anything but we've seen a few that seem to lack energy and have of late discovered issues re the vacuum side.

We've seen various diesels have issues with their pressure converters there about £73 and you wouldn't believe a small inoquios black box could create so many issues, but they do, the latest ones have been modified with new bracketry, but in general when these cars lose their mojo(and it's only a guess)you can usually find something is a kiss re the vacuum area, whether it's a pipe(s), converter or a problem with say the plastic tank. Seen one with a split vacuum tank(rare)

On the turbo side if things had issues re lazy waste gates too these are electrically operated and can partially seize again via diagnostic this can be checked visually with a decent set of eyes this can be visually checked(though space is tight)

As your cars visiting a harsher tomorrow if they're on the ball should prove too much of a drama to locate. If I had a fiver on it I'd place it on the cars vacuum control(if I'm wrong though I'm not paying you OK)
      05-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb21t View Post
...and then takes off like a rocket?

Could be the classic vacuum controllers issue. Warranty will see you right.
Nope doesnt take off at all! It was fine before used to run lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Could be anything but we've seen a few that seem to lack energy and have of late discovered issues re the vacuum side.

We've seen various diesels have issues with their pressure converters there about £73 and you wouldn't believe a small inoquios black box could create so many issues, but they do, the latest ones have been modified with new bracketry, but in general when these cars lose their mojo(and it's only a guess)you can usually find something is a kiss re the vacuum area, whether it's a pipe(s), converter or a problem with say the plastic tank. Seen one with a split vacuum tank(rare)

On the turbo side if things had issues re lazy waste gates too these are electrically operated and can partially seize again via diagnostic this can be checked visually with a decent set of eyes this can be visually checked(though space is tight)

As your cars visiting a harsher tomorrow if they're on the ball should prove too much of a drama to locate. If I had a fiver on it I'd place it on the cars vacuum control(if I'm wrong though I'm not paying you OK)
That's the only thing im worried about, the dealers! Im hoping they are on the ball.

Things ive read about are actuators, vacuum hoses etc.

I'll keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

What you have described happened to me last week. Vacuum hoses replaced and new pressure actuators sorted it. Not in warranty so it cost about £400 all in from an indy.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #6
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulla the Hulla View Post
What you have described happened to me last week. Vacuum hoses replaced and new pressure actuators sorted it. Not in warranty so it cost about £400 all in from an indy.
I'm gearing myself up for this one day LOL. Did you or indy order the parts Ollie?
      05-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
danb21t
Private First Class
Rep

I had the deteriorated hoses and replacement them with silicone equivalent. £16 was the total cost of the fix.
      05-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I had the deteriorated hoses and replacement them with silicone equivalent. £16 was the total cost of the fix.
My red boost pipe has got black oil over it but I've no problems with boost (or lack of shall I say). Is it worth me getting this checked now or wait until something actually happens.. u know the saying, 'don't fix it isn't broken'..

I've read it could be the seals or the pipe itself but don't know anything about actuators, mechanically I'm not all clued up!

Also, would you mind sharing the silicone replacement link please?

Last edited by AWBimmer; 05-29-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
danb21t
Private First Class
Rep

I refer to the vacuum hoses that had deteriorated, not the boost hose.

I dont have the eBay links anymore but a search will bring up plenty of results.

This is what I ordered and believe I had some red left over.
4mm ID / 8mm OD.
4M of black
2M of red
1M of blue
      05-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
My red boost pipe has got black oil over it but I've no problems with boost (or lack of shall I say). Is it worth me getting this checked now or wait until something actually happens.. u know the saying, 'don't fix it isn't broken'..
My car was in at the dealers for something else and they spotted this - they strongly advised fixing it and it came to about £200 including labour, if I remember correctly. The car felt absolutely fine before the fix and felt absolutely identical afterwards... At least it's not leaking any more! I don't know what to suggest
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Throughout the rev range is strange, was there excess smoke from the back? if so thats likely a boost pipe off or a leak.

My car when i bought it was down on power, small turbo was not kicking in and was down on power.

New vacuums pipes and pressure converters fitted and fixed the little turbo but the little turbo likely hadn't be working for a while and the actuator rod has seized, that was free'd off but still little down in power.

Replaced the swirl flaps with blanking caps (tried to clean intake manifold) and power was what it should between 365 and 380, ending up at 372 (stage 2), swirl flaps ring were leaking a little bit of boost
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_335d View Post
Throughout the rev range is strange, was there excess smoke from the back? if so thats likely a boost pipe off or a leak.

My car when i bought it was down on power, small turbo was not kicking in and was down on power.

New vacuums pipes and pressure converters fitted and fixed the little turbo but the little turbo likely hadn't be working for a while and the actuator rod has seized, that was free'd off but still little down in power.

Replaced the swirl flaps with blanking caps (tried to clean intake manifold) and power was what it should between 365 and 380, ending up at 372 (stage 2), swirl flaps ring were leaking a little bit of boost
Yep definitely throughout the rev range. The red hose pipe is in pretty good nick so im assuming that is ok. Should i ask them to check it anyway?

Should hopefully get an idea tomorrow. Apparantly they spent today doing their tests.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Fucking hate dealers. Got a voicemail from the service guy. Didnt say anything apart from call me back. So i rang back and then he's with a customer. Apparantly he's the ONLY one who can tell me whats happening with the car.

20 mins later i ring again and speak to a different receptionist. She went to service manager and just asked about my car. She said the part has been ordered and should be in today. Doesn't know which part. But at least this one helped!

So i am just waiting for his call to get more info.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

It was an actuater valve and some pressure converter for the turbos. Not sure if that second part is right but i'll confirm later on. Car should be reasy later on.

He said because there was a fault it shuts everything down for safety. So i guess i was driving a turboless 3L diesel!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
It was an actuater valve and some pressure converter for the turbos. Not sure if that second part is right but i'll confirm later on. Car should be reasy later on.

He said because there was a fault it shuts everything down for safety. So i guess i was driving a turboless 3L diesel!
exactly how mine felt - scared the sh1t outta me to start with as I pulled out of a junction sharpish in traffic and got nothing from the car - the other driver was less than pleased lol !

Sam, I got mine done, all in, parts supplied etc at Chris Plummer in Aldershot as he is local to my office so was convenient. I've heard good things about him and he did a good job - his labour rate is a third of BMW main dealer and he is ex BMW himself so knows his stuff.

WRT red boost pipe leak - I asked as mine is the same, Chris said he sees a lot with oily gunk on and around the pipe area but he wasn't recommending urgent rectification so it can't be too much of an issue. I'm keeping an eye on mine though and will whip the front end off to have a good clean up so I can monitor how much it leaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Fucking hate dealers. Got a voicemail from the service guy. Didnt say anything apart from call me back. So i rang back and then he's with a customer. Apparantly he's the ONLY one who can tell me whats happening with the car.
I had 3 weeks of this with Coopers in Cobham when my EVL/steering lock went pop at Christmas.... I got so hacked off with their lack of proactivity in the end I got a cab to the dealers and sat in reception muttering noisily about how sh1t their service was to anyone that would listen. They soon started talking to me - tossers !
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #17
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I refer to the vacuum hoses that had deteriorated, not the boost hose.

I dont have the eBay links anymore but a search will bring up plenty of results.

This is what I ordered and believe I had some red left over.
4mm ID / 8mm OD.
4M of black
2M of red
1M of blue
I was told it was 3.5mm ID not 4mm ? Did the 4mm fit OK, was it not too slack ?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulla the Hulla View Post
I had 3 weeks of this with Coopers in Cobham when my EVL/steering lock went pop at Christmas.... I got so hacked off with their lack of proactivity in the end I got a cab to the dealers and sat in reception muttering noisily about how sh1t their service was to anyone that would listen. They soon started talking to me - tossers !
Lol i probably would have done the same!

Car is ready and i think it was just the actuator valve. Replaced under warranty and should collect tomorrrow. Hopefully it will run like the beast she was
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ollie sounds very encouraging as I'm going to book in with Chris Plummer at some point this year for a full health check. I have spoken to him couple times and he spent ages explaining things even though I've not yet oven him any business.

Just goes to show these are te types of people to be going to for business.

Good to hear mate cheers.

Sam
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
danb21t
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah the pipe is meant to be 3.5 but 4 is absolutely fine. Well it is on mine at least. It pushes onto the joints snug and as its vacuum it shouldn't come off.
      05-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #21
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok got the car and its perfect now.

Report says turbine actuator failed, cost £477 but covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #22
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Now go drive the bi*ch HARD!