BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

06-12-2023, 07:17 AM   #23
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

Mine drives down the highway straight as an arrow, so perhaps checking the tire wear and/or getting the alignment redone may help?

Coming from a modded Mk6 GTI with the older 6-speed DSG, this car is vastly easier to drive on the highway, mostly because it actually likes to cruise at highway speeds and gets way better fuel economy.
2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t - Fusion Blue over Slate Gray (Gone)
1999 Saab 9-5 SE - Green Silver Metallic over Beige (Gone)
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-26-2023, 01:38 PM   #24
BrawnyCh
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 M240X drive

I get a little bit more wandering on the highway than I would like. My prior car was an Audi S4 and the steering was more engaging. I'm not sure I like this car better.

I made a personalized sport setting where everything is comfort except the steering. That made a difference. Didn't make it perfect, but did make an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:47 PM   #25
MrPickles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240ix

Highway wandering is not normal. Either tire pressure or alignment is suspect if you have to work at keeping the car in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #26
BrawnyCh
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 M240X drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPickles View Post
Highway wandering is not normal. Either tire pressure or alignment is suspect if you have to work at keeping the car in a straight line.
I can only speak for myself-it's not tire pressure or alignment. The on center steering is a bit loose/numb/vague.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 05:04 PM   #27
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Totally disappointed with this car; may even sell it for a loss just to get rid of it.

This brand new POS Porsche 911 Turbo S pulled up next to me at a light on the way home from work today and when we took off I could barely stay on his back bumper up to 70 and then he was gone. Just because his car cost $200K more than mine is no excuse.

At the next light he rolled down his window and waved and I told him he’s driving my dream car, but I only said that to be nice because his car’s really a POS that had no business beating my M240.

Sorry guys, but my days on this forum with our lame cars are numbered. If I can’t gap a new 911 Turbo S then I don’t want this ghetto on wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      06-26-2023, 05:24 PM   #28
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Totally disappointed with this car; may even sell it for a loss just to get rid of it.

This brand new POS Porsche 911 Turbo S pulled up next to me at a light on the way home from work today and when we took off I could barely stay on his back bumper up to 70 and then he was gone. Just because his car cost $200K more than mine is no excuse.

At the next light he rolled down his window and waved and I told him he’s driving my dream car, but I only said that to be nice because his car’s really a POS that had no business beating my M240.

Sorry guys, but my days on this forum with our lame cars are numbered. If I can’t gap a new 911 Turbo S then I don’t want this ghetto on wheels.
Of course a $250k car or even a $150k car better beat us. But for 50-60k there isn't anything that will, more or less a 75-80k car. 911 Turbo S is not close to our league. Be happy at what you have and all that money you saved. Plus the upkeep, tires, and insurance that 911 cost.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2023, 06:41 PM   #29
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:

Goodbye lol
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 07:44 PM   #30
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Extremis View Post
I just haven’t fallen in love with this car. Not to beat a dead horse, but it’s the steering. Specifically how the car tracks when driving on the highway for long distances. I find it difficult to keep the car from slightly swerving at times because the center of the wheel is just dead. A review I recently watched from the straight pipes on youtube reaffirmed this to me. Apparently the M340, or any other bmw, doesn’t have this issue..

Perhaps some type of an alignment could improve it? I’ve seen that steering can be reprogrammed to a degree, but I’m not sure how viable that will be on this model. And coding/reprogramming can lead to warranty issues, which actually makes me nervous with this one. I bought the car last year when it was difficult to find test drives, figuring it would be close enough to other cars I’ve had experiences with. After owning it for 6 months, it isn’t a platform that I really even want to modify. The most attractive feature to me was xdrive, all my previous cars were rwd, but I think I’m ready to give that up and trade my car for something else. Kicking myself for not buying an f87 m2 comp or supra that was the same price. I don’t hate the car, but I find myself riding the line a lot if I glance anywhere but straight, imo it takes a ton of concentration to just cruise around.
What are your driving settings? Strangely, I find the steering more engaging in Comfort. My sport individual is: comfort steering, sport suspension, sport plus engine, and sport for transmission. Lastly, I keep the shift toggles to “S”. More intense then “D” but less intense than Sport Plus.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 07:48 PM   #31
jaypr9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

I think it's called sarcasm.... lol
Appreciate 6
XC3LLR82062.50
KJ10498.50
M2siast5997.50
      06-26-2023, 07:58 PM   #32
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypr9 View Post
I think it's called sarcasm.... lol
Close, but it’s being facetious.

Sarcasm is when your jokes are harsh and meant to hurt. Facetious is intentionally not serious with a sprinkle of humor.

But yeah, I’m glad someone got it! lol
Appreciate 3
      06-27-2023, 02:11 AM   #33
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

Sound to me like you really enjoy fishing!
      06-27-2023, 03:36 PM   #34
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblename View Post
Sound to me like you really enjoy fishing!
I've never felt so proud of losing as I did to that beautiful Porsche! I really expected it to be gone like a Surface to Air Missile, but I held my own up to a speed that I was comfortable with on the street, and that's all I really care about.

I never looked at the speed, but I had to be going 70 when I let off (40 MPH zone) and I'm sure he hit 100. And I didn't take off until he did because I didn't really think he would, as so many in those high-end cars drive like granny. The fact I stayed on his back tire, and then his back bumper until I called it quits was a win for my 1/4 priced car.

Damn, I LOVE THIS CAR!
Appreciate 2
stvward134.50
eddj466.00
      06-27-2023, 03:51 PM   #35
burkhacs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i - TNM Shadowline

Quote:

Either no one in this forum has a sense of humor or you triggered some people so bad they saw red and not the obvious meaning of your post. You had me in the first sentence, good stuff.
Appreciate 5
      06-28-2023, 09:28 PM   #36
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Loving this car so far, I get comfort for a daily driving and just perfect sport coupe when I need it. I can do more than 550km with a tank and if I want can do 650km, pretty amazing for a 45L and 370+hp car, not to mention the weight.
I have more than 15k km and more I drive more I like the car.

It has pops and bangs when I drive sport individual just with engine sport and it’s a perfect sound. On long trips if is loud is just to insert the fuse of the exhaust flaps.
For now is a beautiful sound, I don’t need nothing more than that.

Longest road trip was 10days and 6k km. I had an G05 50d and comfort seats and I have to say I don’t regret to have the G42 with this seats.

Just my honest review.

PS: nothing similar noticed on my steering wheel, very sensitive on comfort and heavier and firm on Sport, lack of road feeling? Week maybe but I prefer like this, roads are sometimes in bad shape and having a different connection to the road could be probably a negative point compared with now, I don’t think bmw did a bad work. Roads in switzerland are good but not every European country is the same.
Appreciate 3
stvward134.50
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-30-2023, 10:23 AM   #37
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

sell it lol you won't lose too much $ on it if you sell now
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 12:57 PM   #38
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

I still get excited by it. Since it's my DD, I forget every now and then what it can actually do - and then you floor it - and it makes sense again.
Unfortunately, the door lock came loose so I have a small warranty issue to take care of (never seen this happen before), otherwise - it's as much fun as it was day 1. Looks great too
Appreciate 1
stvward134.50
      07-05-2023, 07:54 PM   #39
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

I appreciate all the thoughtful responses everyone gave. I’ve really tried to revisit driving the car from a different perspective. I don’t think the car is slow, I don’t think it’s the quickest thing I’ve ever felt but the speed isn’t what I’ve had an issue with. I knew the power to weight ratio and quarter miles times before I bought it.

It was just the steering dynamics on longer trips that starts to bother me. I definitely don’t like the steering in comfort, it is better in sport. And since there is very little body roll and good “turn in”, I’m just trying to adapt to the lighter steering. I guess I drove an e92 m3 or e64 m6 for 10 years, and the steering really throws me. I’m used to pushing against the heaviness in the wheel when I cruise, and there isn’t any of that anymore. I really need to be careful changing the radio or something with this car.

I do wish it was quicker, but it’s also bone stock still. Maybe I’ll do a jb4 and downpipe next month, it only has 6k miles on it.. just have a bad feeling about tuning a car so early on lol.
Appreciate 1
335i E92178.00
      07-06-2023, 01:17 AM   #40
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:
I appreciate all the thoughtful responses everyone gave. I’ve really tried to revisit driving the car from a different perspective. I don’t think the car is slow, I don’t think it’s the quickest thing I’ve ever felt but the speed isn’t what I’ve had an issue with. I knew the power to weight ratio and quarter miles times before I bought it.

It was just the steering dynamics on longer trips that starts to bother me. I definitely don’t like the steering in comfort, it is better in sport. And since there is very little body roll and good “turn in”, I’m just trying to adapt to the lighter steering. I guess I drove an e92 m3 or e64 m6 for 10 years, and the steering really throws me. I’m used to pushing against the heaviness in the wheel when I cruise, and there isn’t any of that anymore. I really need to be careful changing the radio or something with this car.

I do wish it was quicker, but it’s also bone stock still. Maybe I’ll do a jb4 and downpipe next month, it only has 6k miles on it.. just have a bad feeling about tuning a car so early on lol.
I only got mine yesterday and I've driven it twice so not exactly a representative cross-section of driving or mileage. It is the 3rd BMW I've had with electric steering following a succession of E platform cars with the old system. The first with electric steering was an F32 and the second an F82. The F32 steering was very vague indeed, the F82 was better and my initial impressions of the G42 are that it is similar to the F82 or maybe a tad better. I agree that none are as good as the best of the E platform cars but it is imo much better now than it was on the early F platform cars. I think having the wider tread of the 893 wheels helps though.

I've found that I've got used to it and kind of mentally tune it out. I also think it's become a bit of a reviewer's trope to say "new BMW therefore steering a bit vague" because the early cars with the system were worse than the current ones. It's kind of what everybody has come to expect a BMW review to say so they say it and I'm not sure we're getting a truly objective analysis of it as I suspect there is some confirmation bias in there. It could be that other makes have similar issues but it's not highlighted to the same extent.

At the end of the day though it's down to individual preference and what you feel you can live with and what you can't.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #41
bmwman4life11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 s1000rr/ 2022 M240i

Quote:

I threw a downpipe and a tune only like 2000 miles into ownership. The downpipe alone adds enough low end torque that really transforms the car
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 02:55 PM   #42
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman4life11 View Post
I threw a downpipe and a tune only like 2000 miles into ownership. The downpipe alone adds enough low end torque that really transforms the car
Was it a piggyback or did you flash it? I'm itchy for a full unlock and flash tune
      07-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #43
advr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3; G42 M240i; K49 S1000XR

Quote:

I still have my E46 M3 and feel much more connected to the road in it than the 240i mainly because of the steering and the feeling of isolation.

The isolation I can live with as my main use case is a 90-mile one way drive to work 2 days out of 10 but the lightness / vagueness in comfort mode on the highway is not ideal. However, I did really want adaptive cruise control for the long drive and there are no M sport or M models with hydraulic steering that offer ACC.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 09:19 AM   #44
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by advr6 View Post
I still have my E46 M3 and feel much more connected to the road in it than the 240i mainly because of the steering and the feeling of isolation.

The isolation I can live with as my main use case is a 90-mile one way drive to work 2 days out of 10 but the lightness / vagueness in comfort mode on the highway is not ideal. However, I did really want adaptive cruise control for the long drive and there are no M sport or M models with hydraulic steering that offer ACC.
I still have my ‘04 330i w/6 spd manual and optioned with the ZHP performance package. It’s a more natural driving experience. Feel of the road, engine and exhaust sounds. With that said, the B58 engine in the M240i pulls like a banshee and I find that addicting.
Appreciate 0