09-08-2024, 06:58 AM   #45
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMISOCKM2 View Post
Not sure what the point of this thread is.

In the UK, as soon as you remove the GPF / OPFs the car isn’t road legal, so kinda useless to anyone unless it’s a dedicated track / race car and trailered to and from the track.

Those number plates need to come off.
Tell that to all the UK based bloggers and forum folk who blatantly remove OPF and drive on road.

Their cars pass MOT so adds some grey into the mix in terms legality.

Likewise all those that de-cat.

Folks mod their cars and share their findings.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN31254.00
      09-08-2024, 07:04 AM   #46
Mr. Jonathan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I’m happy for you…

Was just in LA, and had such a great time

They need to divide that state in threes

Get rid of that piece of shit governor
Get rid of the governor yes. However, its the state assembly and senate that’s the real problem. I can’t believe the crack pot legislation that comes out of Sacramento.

We would have love to retire in CA (central coast) but moved to BAMA w/ no regrets (not even a letter). I do miss catching waves though.

Back to the M2.
I’m no expert so I’ll ask. What application does that much power in an M2 (RWD) suite? Tires aside, what suspension set up would you need to improve traction? Would suspension upgrade/set up make much of a difference?

Lastly,
Is the S58 objectively or subjectively better then the B58? A person can hit those power numbers in a B58 with DP, turbo upgrade and E-blend tune easy.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN31254.00
      09-08-2024, 07:12 AM   #47
MIMISOCKM2
Wise old head
Rep
Drives: M2Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Tell that to all the UK based bloggers and forum folk who blatantly remove OPF and drive on road.

Their cars pass MOT so adds some grey into the mix in terms legality.

Likewise all those that de-cat.

Folks mod their cars and share their findings.
They’re playing with fire and soon enough will get burned.

A few things to note:

(1) Passing an MoT does not mean that your car is legal. It just means you have passed what the testers have in their procedures

(2) It is illegal to modify any emissions equipment in the U.K. as it changes the car from the spec it was in when it went through type approval. This is the case even if it passes the MoT emissions test (which is incredibly lax)

(3) Any firm completing these mods and NOT ensuring the customer takes the car away on a trailer is placing themselves at risk. The DVSA has been prosecuting these cases lately and courts have set precedent rulings such that the onus is on the workshop to take reasonable measures to ensure the car is not used on the road

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/consum...ark-court-case

If I were the OP I’d be taking down the video. Filming yourself breaking the law and posting it on YouTube isn’t exactly a high IQ move 😂
Appreciate 1
aerobod4126.00
      09-08-2024, 08:43 AM   #48
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They’re playing with fire and soon enough will get burned.

A few things to note:

(1) Passing an MoT does not mean that your car is legal. It just means you have passed what the testers have in their procedures

(2) It is illegal to modify any emissions equipment in the U.K. as it changes the car from the spec it was in when it went through type approval. This is the case even if it passes the MoT emissions test (which is incredibly lax)

(3) Any firm completing these mods and NOT ensuring the customer takes the car away on a trailer is placing themselves at risk. The DVSA has been prosecuting these cases lately and courts have set precedent rulings such that the onus is on the workshop to take reasonable measures to ensure the car is not used on the road

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/consum...ark-court-case

If I were the OP I’d be taking down the video. Filming yourself breaking the law and posting it on YouTube isn’t exactly a high IQ move 😂
Are you a Fed ?

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 3
      09-08-2024, 08:56 AM   #49
MIMISOCKM2
Wise old head
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Are you a Fed ?
What is that?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 09:24 AM   #50
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The video showed stock at 490 wheel on that Dyno so the delta was 220hp.

Perhaps intercooler won't keep up though at that boost level without upgrade?
Uk dyno so likely stock dyno was 490 at the crank.

220 delta likely at crank too

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN31254.00
      09-08-2024, 09:26 AM   #51
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexx View Post
Pulling out OPF’s in Australia is a big no no.
If the police see that it has been removed then you could get a $22000 AUD fine.
And having owned many significantly modifies cars in the past, I would just rather not have the hassles of being defected by the police or my car impounded, or diving nervously always looking in my mirrors.

Given that the M2 is a $135,000 car, I am trying to have the reliability and usability of a prestigious sports car, but tune/modify it just to get a bit more out of it without running the risk of significant penalties.

So I will be looking at high flow cats, and retain the OPF, some bolt ons and tune for E30/50. Giving me a fast car without the fear of big problems.
Hi flow cat DP would be a waste of money with OPFs in place.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN31254.00
      09-08-2024, 09:33 AM   #52
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.20]
Quote:
Not sure what the point of this thread is.

In the UK, as soon as you remove the GPF / OPFs the car isn’t road legal, so kinda useless to anyone unless it’s a dedicated track / race car and trailered to and from the track.

Those number plates need to come off.
The very reason I’d never live there
      09-08-2024, 09:40 AM   #53
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.20]
Quote:
What is that?
Short for an individual, that’s trying to police others

Here’s a concept… “Let them…”
      09-08-2024, 09:46 AM   #54
MIMISOCKM2
Wise old head
Rep

Quote:
The UK has its faults, for sure, but I think having slightly quieter cars is a good trade for not having to worry about being shot on the street (or at school) or bankrupted by medical bills.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 09:49 AM   #55
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
The UK has some of the best back roads in the world, you can still easily pick good routes without speed cameras, I miss the variety of great roads to choose from, living in North America now.

You can have the car tuned to Stage 1 620bhp/754Nm and maintain road-legal status, for example through Litchfield: https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw...87-ecu-tuning/

With their BM3 tune they don't remove the GPF/OPF, stating in their terms and conditions:

"For customers asking for the removal of Catalytic Convertors or Gasoline Particulate Filters (GPF/OPF) this is strictly for Motorsport use only as the car will not be emissions compliant for UK road use. If a vehicle is being used for Motorsport purposes then we can modify the emissions system but the vehicle will need to be removed from the premises on a trailer and the customer will need to sign our waver to confirm it will not be used on the road."

Last edited by aerobod; 09-08-2024 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2024, 10:02 AM   #56
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Quote:
The UK has its faults, for sure, I think having slightly quieter cars is a good trade for not having to worry about shot on the street (or school) or bankrupted by medical bills.
STFU

Take your bullshit somewhere else.

Last edited by BroDoze; 09-08-2024 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN31254.00
      09-08-2024, 10:47 AM   #57
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.20]
Quote:
The UK has its faults, for sure, but I think having slightly quieter cars is a good trade for not having to worry about being shot on the street (or at school) or bankrupted by medical bills.
More reasons why I wouldn’t live there

Not my idea of a dream come true

09-08-2024, 10:50 AM   #58
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The UK has some of the best back roads in the world, you can still easily pick good routes without speed cameras, I miss the variety of great roads to choose from, living in North America now.

You can have the car tuned to Stage 1 620bhp/754Nm and maintain road-legal status, for example through Litchfield: https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw/m2-g87/bmw-m2-g87-ecu-tuning/

With their BM3 tune they don't remove the GPF/OPF, stating in their terms and conditions:

"For customers asking for the removal of Catalytic Convertors or Gasoline Particulate Filters (GPF/OPF) this is strictly for Motorsport use only as the car will not be emissions compliant for UK road use. If a vehicle is being used for Motorsport purposes then we can modify the emissions system but the vehicle will need to be removed from the premises on a trailer and the customer will need to sign our waver to confirm it will not be used on the road."

Well, I can’t think of another place that tops the back roads that we have here in Washington state and speed cameras are not an issue… I have a legal way around those and also we no longer have to pass Emissions even though I do run a Euro 6 300 cell Catalytic converter because I don’t like my car to smell like a lawnmower I do prefer, having the ability to have my freedom and not worry about being policed and not having to worry about having my picture taken and having that held against me
      09-09-2024, 06:31 AM   #59
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Statistically it's extremely rare to experience any gun crime. Some areas higher than others yes, but I feel like people who don't live here think it's like living in a warzone or something. The vast majority of people live their whole lives without experiencing what you see in the news. Medical bills bankrupting people is a much much larger issue.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN31254.00
      09-09-2024, 07:14 AM   #60
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It’s called mainstream media spin. It’s full of lies, propaganda, deceit and misinformation.

The perceptions are even worse outside of the US, about the US. This is by design.

Media isn’t about reporting the truth, it’s about steering public perception.

Fact.
      09-09-2024, 07:38 AM   #61
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
It’s called mainstream media spin. It’s full of lies, propaganda, deceit and misinformation.

The perceptions are even worse outside of the US, about the US. This is by design.

Media isn’t about reporting the truth, it’s about steering public perception.
Fact.
It’s the same in the US and Canada
The only non fake news is on X

The rest is a shit show and our current administration is truly destroying our country as we’ve known it

Over 25k illegals have crossed our borders and it’s by design and is allowed and they’re giving them food and shelter as well as money to live here and the crimes they’re committing is no problem
Compassion for them but zero for the actual victims themselves
      09-09-2024, 07:46 AM   #62
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^ Fact

There’s a few other sources besides X.
Before X flipped (Elon’s the best thing that ever happened to Twitter), there was ways of getting the truth.
They were getting squashed pretty quick though.

Last edited by BroDoze; 09-09-2024 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN31254.00
      09-09-2024, 08:27 AM   #63
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
^^ Fact

There’s a few other sources besides X.
Before X flipped (Elon’s the best thing that ever happened to Twitter), there was ways of getting the truth.
They were getting squashed pretty quick though.
Way to hijack the thread and turn this into an us vs them, you guys are awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 09:10 AM   #64
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe AUTOID View Post
It still baffles us how capable the S58 and G8X platform is.

45% increase in power from stock with an OPF delete, Downpipe and a tune.

We took the AUTOID G87 M2 to Areeve performance to get a proper tune after seeking to squeeze out more than a tuning box offered.

Result: 710HP / 866NM

https://youtu.be/GkPur74u3ks
Thanks for posting appreciate it
Definitely proper front page news

The scary part is that your tuner drives with one hand on the wheel and that’s not ideal. It’s actually super sketch.
      09-09-2024, 06:44 PM   #65
Gryph8n
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M440i xdrive, X5, Acura MDX

Garage List
AutoID, you guys have awesome posts and videos. I really enjoy your YouTube videos and listen to the details on the builds from your m-lites to full Ms. Has helped me in deciding what to do for my build. I especially liked your guest appearance at Official Gassed.-OG. Keep up the innovations and videos. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2024, 01:57 AM   #66
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jonathan View Post
Get rid of the governor yes. However, its the state assembly and senate that’s the real problem. I can’t believe the crack pot legislation that comes out of Sacramento.

We would have love to retire in CA (central coast) but moved to BAMA w/ no regrets (not even a letter). I do miss catching waves though.

Back to the M2.
I’m no expert so I’ll ask. What application does that much power in an M2 (RWD) suite? Tires aside, what suspension set up would you need to improve traction? Would suspension upgrade/set up make much of a difference?

Lastly,
Is the S58 objectively or subjectively better then the B58? A person can hit those power numbers in a B58 with DP, turbo upgrade and E-blend tune easy.
The B58 rocking it’s single scroll turbo is super snappy off the line but tuned correctly the s58 is a bonkers powerplant

The suspension itself is extremely sorted and is ridiculously solid stock and with coils it’s even better at putting the power down I’d be more focused on the brakes