BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-03-2024, 01:12 AM   #111
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Are they necessary though? Are the single piece plain steel rotors failing at the track?
Not sure about the C8, but the C5 Z06 steel rotors cracked a lot under hard use. My son only got 3 track days out of one set on his car before significant cracks appeared.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 10:44 AM   #112
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
Yeah, mostly curious. I was told that even with my previous car, which was a 2016 340i.

Even called some random shops around me and even they said they would change rotors with the pads...couldn't tell if that was just an upsell tactic, or a general rule these days.
on our commuter mk7 jetta, i have no problem doing just pads. on anything i put through its paces in a pointed fashion, track or not, i usually do pads and rotors together. there's something to be said about having an appliance type vehicle on the side. it sees valvoline for 3 oil changes in a row (~20k miles) and then it sees my real mechanic on the fourth for a pat down. no issues in almost 100k miles...
Appreciate 2
DSTR1280.00
xtougher605.50
      05-03-2024, 11:53 AM   #113
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
on our commuter mk7 jetta, i have no problem doing just pads. on anything i put through its paces in a pointed fashion, track or not, i usually do pads and rotors together. there's something to be said about having an appliance type vehicle on the side. it sees valvoline for 3 oil changes in a row (~20k miles) and then it sees my real mechanic on the fourth for a pat down. no issues in almost 100k miles...
Savvy!
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2024, 06:53 AM   #114
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Yeah, mostly curious. I was told that even with my previous car, which was a 2016 340i.

Even called some random shops around me and even they said they would change rotors with the pads...couldn't tell if that was just an upsell tactic, or a general rule these days.
Not quite fair to the shops but in some way it is a cover their ass rule.

With new pads mated with new rotors the two items have the necessary degree of pad/rotor material and flatness and the rotor surfaces are parallel and braking will be optimum. Brake life will be optimum. And the chance of a customer having to bring back the car due to some brake issue is greatly reduced. Almost nil really.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 07:00 AM   #115
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post

With new pads mated with new rotors the two items have the necessary degree of pad/rotor material and flatness and the rotor surfaces are parallel and braking will be optimum. Brake life will be optimum. And the chance of a customer having to bring back the car due to some brake issue is greatly reduced. Almost nil really.
Too mant miles/damage (grooves & lip) to the rotors will not only have potentially inconsistent stopping/bite but it will take time to seat in and match the grooves and you will lose a lot of brake pad life.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 08:32 AM   #116
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Too mant miles/damage (grooves & lip) to the rotors will not only have potentially inconsistent stopping/bite but it will take time to seat in and match the grooves and you will lose a lot of brake pad life.
Makes sense. Maybe not a pure "upsell" but a combination of manufacturers maybe making rotors "built to last" a long time ago, and at some point, shifting to different materials/specs which help cause the overall life of rotors to decrease in general...and then add that to the actual risk/inconsistency of the stopping, and then the desire to CYA.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:29 AM   #117
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Makes sense. Maybe not a pure "upsell" but a combination of manufacturers maybe making rotors "built to last" a long time ago, and at some point, shifting to different materials/specs which help cause the overall life of rotors to decrease in general...and then add that to the actual risk/inconsistency of the stopping, and then the desire to CYA.

Thanks for the thoughts!
At some point brake rotors went from having a lot of wear tolerance to not much.

I can't recall the rotor details of my first cars but with my 2002 Boxster the rotors had 2mm of wear. 1mm per surface. When the pads were worn out the rotors were also worn out.

This lack of excessive rotor thickness has been the norm for those cars I have owned since then.

Lighter rotors require less energy to spin up as the car accelerates, and less braking force to slow. And lighter rotors mean less unsprung weight.

The only thing that could be better would be the BMW M Carbon Ceramic brakes.
Appreciate 1
xtougher605.50
      05-05-2024, 10:39 AM   #118
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
At some point brake rotors went from having a lot of wear tolerance to not much.

I can't recall the rotor details of my first cars but with my 2002 Boxster the rotors had 2mm of wear. 1mm per surface. When the pads were worn out the rotors were also worn out.

This lack of excessive rotor thickness has been the norm for those cars I have owned since then.

Lighter rotors require less energy to spin up as the car accelerates, and less braking force to slow. And lighter rotors mean less unsprung weight.

That a significant reason to go with Girodisc, plus they are stronger and cheaper than OEM M rotors. Also, all future changes are even cheaper as all you need to do is replace the ring.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:08 PM   #119
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:

Makes a lot of sense to me!
Appreciate 0