bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-11-2023, 01:21 PM   #23
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadolinaRipr View Post
According to this (which is questionable) at ~9:30 there is PDI (delivery mode) and then "running in mode" for M cars that is in fact restricted. And then unrestricted after run-in mode. That is contradictory to what I understand to be true. Odd.
This is for older models. There's a chance what he's saying is true then. And it might not be true now.

I know what he is saying is not true when it comes to "when it comes out of delivery mode, it's in running in mode, so the car is restricted, whether it comes to RPM or power output" (strange that he just speculates, without any base, which tells me he DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT).

Fact is: car is not restricted in power. Car is not restricted in RPM. The manual doesn't even tell you not to reach a certain RPM, for example (if it did, the car would have been limited from factory).

What is unknown is whether the full speed is unlocked after the RiS, although BMW says it is. I believe it is true since it's so easy to do in the car's programming.

The rest is speculation and very bad ones at that.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #24
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

There has been a lot of conjecture about RIS and RIS specific lubricants (engine and diff). There is absolutely no proof one way or the other.

There is no reason to believe that the speed limit unlock couldn't be done automatically if there was a lock at all. I do agree that dealers are not likely to be the ones to change this setting but they do reset the service interval with the RIS.

Personally I don't see the issue other than as a debate. It's your car, drive at 178 mph with 100 miles on it if you want. Same with an early oil change or whatever - your car, your warranty issues or long term ownership issues.

The manual calls for run-in service, why not do it as prescribed. For those that believe it is German overengineering need to look no further than the Corvette C8 which increases RPM limit and top speed with miles during its breaking. BMW could have done it that way but chose to not. Anyway.
M2siast5957.00
      12-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #25
1stM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
This is for older models. There's a chance what he's saying is true then. And it might not be true now.

I know what he is saying is not true when it comes to "when it comes out of delivery mode, it's in running in mode, so the car is restricted, whether it comes to RPM or power output" (strange that he just speculates, without any base, which tells me he DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT).

Fact is: car is not restricted in power. Car is not restricted in RPM. The manual doesn't even tell you not to reach a certain RPM, for example (if it did, the car would have been limited from factory).

What is unknown is whether the full speed is unlocked after the RiS, although BMW says it is. I believe it is true since it's so easy to do in the car's programming.

The rest is speculation and very bad ones at that.
That's why it's a myth because of speculation. I think lots of it can be done during clearing the running in service since it's only be done by the dealer's computer. It's probably connected to BMW's. One click on the terminal after connecting to the car, sequences of reprograming can be done.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5957.00
      12-11-2023, 01:38 PM   #26
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stM View Post
That's why it's a myth because of speculation. I think lots of it can be done during clearing the running in service since it's only be done by the dealer's computer. It's probably connected to BMW's. One click on the terminal after connecting to the car, sequences of reprograming can be done.
All for good discussion, your point could be true, we don't know.

My contention is that speed limit is changed without any software change or intervention by BMW.

The car can derestrict itself either at 1,200 miles or after 1,200 miles and "RiS done" condition (which is a simple "service reset" in the car, like when you change the oil or brake pads).

But I didn't test before and after, so I can't tell you
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:49 PM   #27
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadolinaRipr View Post
According to this (which is questionable) at ~9:30 there is PDI (delivery mode) and then "running in mode" for M cars that is in fact restricted. And then unrestricted after run-in mode. That is contradictory to what I understand to be true. Odd.

Stating its questionable is being kind...I call flat out Bull $hit. The video is done "after hours" at BMW, and not an authorized BMW video. There are "special" break in fluids. Oh, best is the beginning that its sponsored by some cf co.pany that makes phone cases? Seriousy? I really didn't need to watch any further and lose any more time out of my life.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 01:54 PM   #28
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Me either. They could be ripping me off but at least I finally got the track package invitation.
All I know is IF letting the car go in the future or trading in for a new model down the road…M Drivers Package will help retain value. I don’t ever plan on topping 135mph even on track, but it’s nice to know we have more in munitions in the armory!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:57 PM   #29
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

--M Race Track Package in Germany

Over in Europe, the spicy compact car will be optionally available with an M Race Track Package. It’s essentially the same as the Carbon Package, encompassing the front bucket seats and carbon fiber interior trim. You also get the carbon roof, which by the way, shaves off approximately 13 pounds (6 kilograms). To sweeten the pot, BMW will also loosen up the top speed limiter so that the M2 can hit the same 177 mph (285 km/h) as its American counterpart. Optionally, track-only tires will be available.

By ordering the option package 7ME, the increase of Vmax will be automatically activated when surpassing the 2,000 km run-in distance and having completed the run-in inspection--
Appreciate 2
aerobod3707.50
c1pher4677.50
      12-11-2023, 02:08 PM   #30
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
--M Race Track Package in Germany

Over in Europe, the spicy compact car will be optionally available with an M Race Track Package. It’s essentially the same as the Carbon Package, encompassing the front bucket seats and carbon fiber interior trim. You also get the carbon roof, which by the way, shaves off approximately 13 pounds (6 kilograms). To sweeten the pot, BMW will also loosen up the top speed limiter so that the M2 can hit the same 177 mph (285 km/h) as its American counterpart. Optionally, track-only tires will be available.

By ordering the option package 7ME, the increase of Vmax will be automatically activated when surpassing the 2,000 km run-in distance and having completed the run-in inspection--
The Canadian info basically says the same thing for the M Driver’s Package:

“Top speed is increased to 285km/h. Increased top speed is not available until the running-in inspection has been completed and the car has run for 2,000 km. In addition to raising the top speed, the package also includes a unique 1-day high-performance driving class at a BMW Performance Centre in either Thermal, California, Spartanburg, or South Carolina. The course has been tailored to driving M vehicles through various high-speed exercises, letting you experience the limits of the vehicle in a controlled environment.”
Appreciate 1
DSTR1275.50
      12-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #31
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Stating its questionable is being kind...I call flat out Bull $hit. The video is done "after hours" at BMW, and not an authorized BMW video. There are "special" break in fluids. Oh, best is the beginning that its sponsored by some cf co.pany that makes phone cases? Seriousy? I really didn't need to watch any further and lose any more time out of my life.
More lies by the idiots of car life on Youshitetube lol. Fools being fooled by those seeking clicks n money!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 03:12 PM   #32
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
I would like to caveat this by saying that I see and recognize all of the evidence pointing to this being a myth. Before my break-in service I always told other people that this was a myth.

Then, after my break in service, there is nothing anyone can say that will convince me this is a myth.

Before break-in, I pushed my car pretty hard a couple times. I thought it felt a little underwhelming. After break-in, it is a totally different car. It wants to break traction even in the most ideal situations. It is scary how much of a difference it makes. It is completely awake and it feels like ive gone from 400 to 500 hp.
Appreciate 3
      12-11-2023, 03:23 PM   #33
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC87ZB View Post

For those that believe it is German overengineering need to look no further than the Corvette C8 which increases RPM limit and top speed with miles during its breaking. BMW could have done it that way but chose to not. Anyway.
The C8 Corvette does not increase RPM limit nor top speed after the prescribed 500 mi engine break-in or 1,500 mi transmission break-in. The visual display on the tachometer makes it appear as if the redline is lower, but it really isn't.
Appreciate 1
Baller151.50
      12-11-2023, 03:48 PM   #34
tommycr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240

For me, the car car felt tighter from the moment I drove it off the lot. Maybe it’s me getting used to the or the car breaking in but for, she drives better now post break in service with 1600 miles on it.
Appreciate 1
emm2wc0.00
      12-12-2023, 08:23 PM   #35
JHole
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

I just had my 1200 mile run-in service and I agree with Rx-7ames who said:

"Before break-in, I pushed my car pretty hard a couple times. I thought it felt a little underwhelming. After break-in, it is a totally different car. It wants to break traction even in the most ideal situations. It is scary how much of a difference it makes. It is completely awake and it feels like ive gone from 400 to 500 hp."

For those of you who have the auto transmission and who have not yet had their 1200 mile service, what is your redline? I am curious to see if it changes after the run-in service. Mine now starts at 7000 rpm.
Appreciate 1
emm2wc0.00
      12-12-2023, 08:46 PM   #36
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHole View Post

"Before break-in, I pushed my car pretty hard a couple times. I thought it felt a little underwhelming. After break-in, it is a totally different car. It wants to break traction even in the most ideal situations. It is scary how much of a difference it makes. It is completely awake and it feels like ive gone from 400 to 500 hp."

For those of you who have the auto transmission and who have not yet had their 1200 mile service, what is your redline? I am curious to see if it changes after the run-in service. Mine now starts at 7000 rpm.

I have the 8AT...absolutely no difference after the breakin service.
Appreciate 4
Geighty71466.00
aerobod3707.50
chris7197365.00
      12-12-2023, 08:53 PM   #37
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post
I would like to caveat this by saying that I see and recognize all of the evidence pointing to this being a myth. Before my break-in service I always told other people that this was a myth.

Then, after my break in service, there is nothing anyone can say that will convince me this is a myth.

Before break-in, I pushed my car pretty hard a couple times. I thought it felt a little underwhelming. After break-in, it is a totally different car. It wants to break traction even in the most ideal situations. It is scary how much of a difference it makes. It is completely awake and it feels like ive gone from 400 to 500 hp.
could just be the engine, you know, breaking in? i am at 700 mi and can already feel a difference. car didnt drive bad off the lot, but its absolutely getting stronger and better feeling as i go
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:57 PM   #38
deneed4spd
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 OG<E90 328i<E36 328i

I always wondered about M car break in procedure. In my Blackwing, the rpm limit is set to 4K. As soon as it passes 500 miles, the computer pushes to 4K to 6.5k. Eazy peazy and it is actually pretty cool thing to see. Why other high end manufacturers don’t do that is up puzzling.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:18 PM   #39
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:

Sir, the redline on your car is not 7000, it’s 7,200.
And has been since mile 0. And will be until EOL.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 09:25 PM   #40
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneed4spd View Post
I always wondered about M car break in procedure. In my Blackwing, the rpm limit is set to 4K. As soon as it passes 500 miles, the computer pushes to 4K to 6.5k. Eazy peazy and it is actually pretty cool thing to see. Why other high end manufacturers don’t do that is up puzzling.
It's not really limited to 4k, it just visually makes you think it is. You can still push past it before 500 mi.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:47 PM   #41
JHole
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Sir, the redline on your car is not 7000, it’s 7,200.
And has been since mile 0. And will be until EOL.
Monsieur M2siast,

I stand corrected for my typo. Sarcasm will get you everywhere, oui?
Appreciate 1
M2siast5957.00
      12-12-2023, 09:49 PM   #42
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Monsieur M2siast,

I stand corrected for my typo. Sarcasm will get you everywhere, oui?
Dr. Hole,
I wasn’t being sarcastic. I thought you had looked at your tachometer when your engine was cold

Yours truly
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 07:15 AM   #43
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
could just be the engine, you know, breaking in? i am at 700 mi and can already feel a difference. car didnt drive bad off the lot, but its absolutely getting stronger and better feeling as i go
Took a bit of time to get to 1200 miles in my M2. But definitely agree the engine got stronger as the miles passed.

The 2023 JCW I bought new in March of this year I bought in Loveland CO. Drove the car home and covered 873 miles. Of course I was mindful the car/engine was new and adhered to the break in guidelines.

Don't recall how many miles I covered the 1st day but as the 2nd day went by and the miles accumulated and passed the 500 miles mark and beyond I couldn't help noticing the engine was running stronger.

First time in my new car ownership experience a new car break in occurred over such a short span of time that I could experience the change in the engine.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 07:51 AM   #44
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkym2 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My 2000km (1200miles) break-in service is due in 1000kms. I was wondering if any of you really could feel the difference in performance between pre and past service, or it is just a BMW marketing BS?
If you could describe the feeling with numbers e.g. +10-20% power, it would be most appreciated
I felt a difference but because after the Running in Service (RiS) I pushed the car/engine harder, drove it with more spirit. I used more throttle and allowed the engine to rev higher.

As a result there is a big rush of power as the engine RPMs climb and under pretty much full throttle. One could believe this was not there before and was some how made available by some sort of software hocus pocus.

The post break in service behavior has been my experience over the years with a number of cars. Most notably the high(er) performance cars.

As an aside with one car (2023 JCW) I got to experience the car/engine as I drove it 873 miles starting from show room miles. The engine was a bit subdued -- and I was mindful the engine was new -- the 1st day. But the 2nd day and as the miles accumulated I couldn't help but notice the engine was stronger.

As for the M2, the documentation I got from my service department doesn't indicate there's any change made to the car's performance capabilities. No raising the rev limiter, or the top speed limit.

The only programming involved is to deactivate the running in service notification.

This is from the printout I got: "Deactivate the 1200 MI. RiS [Running in Service] via diagnostic path."

The RiS is deactivated because it is no longer needed once the RiS has been done. This deactivation means the driver is no longer given the RiS due notice every time he gets behind the wheel.

Taking a step back I doubt a car maker would impose temporary limits on an engine due to the risk of incurring additional (and unwanted) liability. God forbid a driver found himself in need of higher RPMs for more acceleration and was unable to get these due to factory imposed limits on RPMs and an accident happened.

If the factory did impose some limit I think it would have to clearly document this so an owner could take this limit into account in his use of the car.

Sure the factory states RPM and speed limits that should be adhered to during break in but these are soft limits. The owner is free to exceed these if he wants. To avoid an accident would be a very important reason.
Appreciate 1