home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-24-2024, 04:20 AM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Lowering Springs DIY Difficulty?

I want to get H&R Sport Springs and install them over the summer once I have time but I’m stuck between taking it to a shop versus taking a shot at it myself.

I’ve never done any suspension work before and am wondering if it’s easy for someone relatively inexperienced to do. The hardest thing I’ve probably done on a car was a midpipe install on my F87.

I’m thinking if I learn how to do it at home, it’ll not only save me money but I’ll know how to put it back to stock when I want to sell the car years down the line. Am I overthinking it? If there’s a good change I can fuck it up I’d rather just take it to a shop.

Opinions are appreciated, thanks

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:41 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
I want to get H&R Sport Springs and install them over the summer once I have time but I’m stuck between taking it to a shop versus taking a shot at it myself.

I’ve never done any suspension work before and am wondering if it’s easy for someone relatively inexperienced to do. The hardest thing I’ve probably done on a car was a midpipe install on my F87.

I’m thinking if I learn how to do it at home, it’ll not only save me money but I’ll know how to put it back to stock when I want to sell the car years down the line. Am I overthinking it? If there’s a good change I can fuck it up I’d rather just take it to a shop.

Another owner posted about swapping springs (to lower the car) and breaking a connector on top of the strut and is probably facing having to replace a very expensive part (strut?) to get a new connector.

Thread:

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2088321

My recommendation is have the springs replaced by a highly regarded/reputable shop.

This can be at a dealer's service department or at an indy shop.

Be aware there is the risk the lowering springs -- being stiffer -- may not be compatible with the shocks. The shocks may not be as good at dampening the springs as they are the stock springs. And the added forces involved may shorten the shock life.

My auto tech buddies advised me to if I replaced springs -- to lower the car/stiffen the car for auto-crossing -- to swap shocks/struts with ones that were matched to the springs.

I ended up leaving the springs alone. I added a stiffer front sway bar -- with solid bushings -- and added a rear sway bar.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76849.50
      03-24-2024, 09:01 AM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:

No matter who does the job, ensure that they treat the connector on top of the strut for the ECS with respect. There have been multiple cases on these groups of broken connectors with the proper disconnect technique not used (should follow the BMW online ISTA instructions). In general, the fix for the broken connector is an expensive new strut or coding out the adjustable suspension.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 09:13 AM   #4
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

“A man’s got to know his limitations”
-Harry Callahan
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:24 PM   #5
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
I’ve never done any suspension work
I'm gonna stop you right there.

Don't.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
Ronin76849.50
      03-25-2024, 06:13 AM   #6
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

There is only one way to learn; just take your time. There is nothing complicated about any of this; just pay close attention and think through the process. Find some videos/guides online. It seems all the G8X cars are about the same, so any guide will be helpful. You'll never have done suspension work if you never do suspension work.
      03-25-2024, 11:43 AM   #7
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRqbbit View Post
There is only one way to learn; just take your time. There is nothing complicated about any of this; just pay close attention and think through the process. Find some videos/guides online. It seems all the G8X cars are about the same, so any guide will be helpful. You'll never have done suspension work if you never do suspension work.
Yup, just find a book or video and you’ll be on the road to success.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Ronin76849.50
Ravenseal2884.50
      03-25-2024, 02:02 PM   #8
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1995831

BMWs way is actually more tedious if you are just changing springs but at least all the torque specs are listed here. Research is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 07:39 PM   #9
izzyM2
Major
Rep

So I just finished DIY replacing springs. This was my fourth car replacing suspensions (2019 Miata - TIEN Coil-overs, 2009 911 - BC Coil-overs, 2018 F80 M3 - Eibach front springs and last night, the G87 M2 - Front and Rear Eibach Springs), I'm fairly confident I can do the job. I have the tools that I need and the experience. I'm happy to say I was able to finish it in one day (Consider that I am 52 and takes meds for various ailments already, I had to phase myself).
I did encounter a few hiccups but with a bit of determination I did it. For me, the easy part was actually changing the front springs if you drop the suspension from the middle nut method.
To my surprise the worst part was jacking up the car and installing the rear springs because it just required a lot of physical and mental work.
I already have a front lip sticking kind of low, I ended up navigating two jacks and propping the rear tires with 1" wood to make sure when I drop the jacks I have enough clearance. Just make sure your car is properly jacked for safety, we do not want anyone breaking their necks around here.
The difficulty in the rear came when I did not have enough leverage to loosen the nuts to separate the lower arm from the shocks and the alignment bolts as the car was only about a foot off the ground and it was a bit tight to navigate around. I had to use a little creativity and leg power to accomplished it. Make sure everything is seated properly before reinstalling it back.
In conclusion, if you are younger and healthier than me and maybe a buddy, it will be much easier. Make sure you have the right tools and get as much information you can online specially proper torque specs. I had a knocking on my rear left on my first test drive and I was stressing that I might have to redo it but I happened to forget to tighten the tie rod to torque specs and that was the issue. So just double check everything to lessen the chance of redoing things.
If I opted for the adjustable springs that involves taking off the front shocks I probably won't DIY it. It was hardwork for me but fulfilling when all is said and done.
Attached Images

03-29-2024, 11:18 PM   #10
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Great job ^^ … so how does the car ride and corner with the new Eibach springs?
      03-29-2024, 11:35 PM   #11
izzyM2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Great job ^^ … so how does the car ride and corner with the new Eibach springs?
So far so good for the limited time. I just gave it a test run in around my area and freeway. A few spirited pulls and made sure lock to lock had no fender rubs. As predicted since I found the stock springs a tad soft in comfort I thought it will have a bit of added stiffness without corrupting the subtle ride. When stock at high speed corners in comfort I felt it wasn’t settled, I think with the Eibach springs that’s now eliminated and feels more stable. In sport plus it also feels just fine. Hopefully it will just get even better after it’s settled and aligned.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 01:30 AM   #12
kevinG87
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: g87 m2

Replacing just lowering spring probably the most easiest among all shock/spring mods.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:33 PM   #13
Sergeant_GiO
Sergeant
Rep
Drives: M240i XDrive

Garage List
I'm doing it next month. I have the springs on my garage, but I'm waiting for my wife to leave on Vacation because she hates it when I lower my cars 🤣 third car, I do it without telling her 🏃🏻 💨
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
izzyM2734.50
      04-18-2024, 03:05 PM   #14
izzyM2
Major
Rep

[QUOTE="Sergeant_GiO;31078820"]I'm doing it next month. I have the springs on my garage, but I'm waiting for my wife to leave on Vacation because she hates it when I lower my cars 🤣 third car, I do it without telling her 🏃🏻 💨

My wife worries a lot during my 1st and 2nd diy suspension change. Now she could care less.
Funny how I never notice the 2 series. Now with my M2 I see them everywhere. Btw, Nice color.