BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-12-2024, 06:31 PM   #1
SeanJP
Rep
Drives: 392 Challenger

New to BMW: M2 Questions

Hello, all 👋 I’m a long time American muscle car enthusiast, so I don’t know much about German luxury/sports cars.

I’m in the US Army and I just got relocated to Korea, and I’m returning in one year. After that, I’m going to drop my retirement packet and ✌🏻- so I want to buy myself a retirement gift when I get back.

I had my eye on an M3, but now I’m considering the M2. I can really option it nicely and it will still eat up less of my savings. It also doesn’t seem like it’s much of a compromise.

So, my first question: Is there anything confirmed or rumored that the 2026 M2 will have the XDrive option? My last weekend car was a heavily modified challenger making 671 whp. Launching from a dig was extremely difficult, and frustrating AF. I would really like to experience all-wheel-drive, which is why I was leaning toward an M3.

My second question is about mods, and especially tuning boxes. First, what exactly is that? My Challenger had a custom tune, basically just a re-program of the chip. But I read a tuning box can be removed, and it is undetectable to the dealer. Is it like a chip replacement?

Last, my goal is to make at least 600 whp and still be reliable. I figure that would keep me around the same power to weight ratio as my Challenger. What would it take to accomplish that?

Thanks for any input!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 06:43 PM   #2
fzr100098
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2

https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/08/13/b...oming-in-2026/

Not sure I want xdrive in an M2 - makes more sense in the M3/4
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 06:50 PM   #3
NewToM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.47]
We all know that the bubble master does not work past noon. He doesn’t need to.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 07:40 PM   #4
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Here is a post.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2126028

I am not a fan of piggybacks so I won't comment nor recommend them. If BMW wants to look for it, the can detect a piggyback even if removed. If you want to increase your power, do a femto unlock and custom tune. A Good custom Stage 1 will get you near your 600whp mark. A custom stage 2 on 93 octane can get you upwards of 650whp and a custom stage 2 tune on e40 can get you upwards of 725+whp. If done by a reputable tuner and quality mods, a custom ecu tune is safe and reliable.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 07:53 PM   #5
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

You have 2 years until xdrive G87 (MY 2027).

Also stage 1 600 whp thread. Though you could probably do it with just an intake and midpipe/exhaust.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2095722
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 10:09 PM   #6
SeanJP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Here is a post.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2126028

I am not a fan of piggybacks so I won't comment nor recommend them. If BMW wants to look for it, the can detect a piggyback even if removed. If you want to increase your power, do a femto unlock and custom tune. A Good custom Stage 1 will get you near your 600whp mark. A custom stage 2 on 93 octane can get you upwards of 650whp and a custom stage 2 tune on e40 can get you upwards of 725+whp. If done by a reputable tuner and quality mods, a custom ecu tune is safe and reliable.
I just found a good explanation as to what they are. After reading it, I’m definitely not going that route. The main appeal for me was just the ability to unplug it and bring the tune back to stock if need be. But seeing how it actually works, I’m not doing that to my car.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/174-ecu-tuning-vs-piggyback-tunes-vs-performance-perfected?srsltid=AfmBOoo9z5to9BzdXsXo8lREiuTulu22 pseMuV5OTy0U5JJ2WIsSyeHT
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 10:12 PM   #7
SeanJP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/08/13/b...oming-in-2026/

Not sure I want xdrive in an M2 - makes more sense in the M3/4
Out of curiosity, why do you prefer it on some models but not the M2? To me traction is traction. Does it just have to do with the car’s identity?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 10:30 PM   #8
BradMX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 MX5

Think because it’s technically a “smaller” 2 door that almost shouldn’t even have back seats and those type of cars are usually RWD fun cars made to kick the rear end out.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 11:35 AM   #9
Good 4 2 reasons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2 6MT

If you are after a fast drag time, buy an m240 with x-drive and with the money saved, you can add a ton of mods (tune, bolt ons, tires, etc) and smoke any M2 from a dig.

The M2 is, for the next few model years, a rear-wheel drive platform.

If you are after fast 1/4 mile times, the M2 probably isn't the best way to spend your money. If you want something you can track or enjoy spirited driving, its a great choice.

Good luck!
2018 BMW X5 35d x-drive
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
Appreciate 1
BradMX5318.00
      09-13-2024, 11:47 AM   #10
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
If you are after a fast drag time, buy an m240 with x-drive and with the money saved, you can add a ton of mods (tune, bolt ons, tires, etc) and smoke any M2 from a dig.

The M2 is, for the next few model years, a rear-wheel drive platform.

If you are after fast 1/4 mile times, the M2 probably isn't the best way to spend your money. If you want something you can track or enjoy spirited driving, its a great choice.

Good luck!
Idk - 9.6 @ 146 seems like a pretty decent 1/4 mi time

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2130743

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior.

'11 Callaway SC652 Carbon Edition Corvette Z06. Inferno Orange Metallic. 1 of 3.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 12:40 PM   #11
fzr100098
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
Modded vs stock is always a worthless comparison, but people keep doing it

Stoplight races or drag times are #73 on my priority list anyway - are we in high school?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 01:19 PM   #12
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:

Stoplight races or drag times are #73 on my priority list anyway - are we in high school?
But come on how can you brag about whose car is faster at cars & coffee? I had both an older M3 & a Cybertruck try to get me to race in 5 pm traffic yesterday. Both weaving and darting through cars, morons.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior.

'11 Callaway SC652 Carbon Edition Corvette Z06. Inferno Orange Metallic. 1 of 3.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 01:46 PM   #13
SeanJP
Rep

Quote:

I actually go to the drag strip. I have too much to lose if I get arrested for street racing.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 03:07 PM   #14
techwhiz1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

The M2 isn't a drag car.
M cars or even M-lite as a rule aren't drag cars. They are road cars with typically superior driving dynamics.

I also would stay away from a time these days. I had an N54 335i and they couldn't detect a time beyond noticing the ECU had been reset. That happens when you disconnect the battery.

On any newer BMW a time is absolutely detectible. Assume if they detect a tampering event with your ECU and your engine goes south for any reason, they will deny your warranty. Now the Magnussen Moss warranty act protects you and they have to prove your tuning caused the damage. But if you are increasing HP and torque beyond recommended levels, changing out downpipes and such, they have something to point to.

Anything other than cat back or intakes are going to get your car flagged depending on the dealer. Just saying.
      09-14-2024, 05:24 PM   #15
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
The M2 isn't a drag car.
M cars or even M-lite as a rule aren't drag cars. They are road cars with typically superior driving dynamics.

I also would stay away from a time these days. I had an N54 335i and they couldn't detect a time beyond noticing the ECU had been reset. That happens when you disconnect the battery.

On any newer BMW a time is absolutely detectible. Assume if they detect a tampering event with your ECU and your engine goes south for any reason, they will deny your warranty. Now the Magnussen Moss warranty act protects you and they have to prove your tuning caused the damage. But if you are increasing HP and torque beyond recommended levels, changing out downpipes and such, they have something to point to.

Anything other than cat back or intakes are going to get your car flagged depending on the dealer. Just saying.
In theory with Magnussen Moss, BMW has to prove your modifications caused the damage. In practice, the onus is on you, and they will reject your warranty.

I had a tear in my axle boot on a new X3. When I went to get my car lowered (not at BMW) they pointed it out before they did any work. We took photos with the car bone stock showing the tear. Then I had the springs installed.

BMW rejected the warranty claim for the axle boot because I had springs. My photos (before springs) didn’t matter to them.

Could I sue? Sure. But be aware that BMW will reject your claim for any modifications knowing you likely won’t sue.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 05:34 PM   #16
NewToM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.47]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdudley View Post
In theory with Magnussen Moss, BMW has to prove your modifications caused the damage. In practice, the onus is on you, and they will reject your warranty.

I had a tear in my axle boot on a new X3. When I went to get my car lowered (not at BMW) they pointed it out before they did any work. We took photos with the car bone stock showing the tear. Then I had the springs installed.

BMW rejected the warranty claim for the axle boot because I had springs. My photos (before springs) didn’t matter to them.

Could I sue? Sure. But be aware that BMW will reject your claim for any modifications knowing you likely won’t sue.
I sued my mom for her placenta and won…
Appreciate 1
mrdudley440.50
      09-14-2024, 06:04 PM   #17
SeanJP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
The M2 isn't a drag car.

Of course they aren’t drag cars. But if you go to any dragstrip, you’re going to see every kind of car under the sun, including Corvettes and Honda Civics. My car will be a fun weekend car that I can also take to the dragstrip.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 07:09 PM   #18
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdudley View Post

In most states you don't have to sue, you can contact the Attorney General's Office and if the manufacturer cannot prove why they denied your warranty claim, they will handle it on your behalf. At least that was my experience with GM when they denied an engine replacement under warranty for a known issue because I had longtube headers, intake manifold, catback exhaust, custom tune, full suspension & 4.10 gears. They claimed I raced the car, I did. However, racing was not a cause for warranty denial under the factory warranty. As soon as the AG got involved, I had a new engine installed under warranty within 2 weeks. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 07:48 PM   #19
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 ScatPack WB (& G87 M2)

Not really important but I’m an America old school muscle guy too, I have a scat pack that I won’t give up for a while ..

I bought my son an m2 today and we traded his m340. The m2 is really a blast, it feels as fast as my last hellcat and destroys my scat. Hec the m340 I think was faster lol … it really drives great. I would love an m3 too but man they’re expensive these days. Got a nice deal on the m2 and my son doesn’t need back doors. I was very impressed today by the overall driving dynamics.. I also test drove a manual one today that was a blast. Forgot how awesome manual is in general. I have to daily my car for work and it gets a lot of miles so I can’t really have a manual lol… I will say though, nothing sounds like a big v8 still, although this m2 sounds pretty mean especially at higher rpm’s.

Pic as reference
Attached Images

Current: '23 ScatPack Last call (also have G87 M2 for son); Previous rides: '23 BMW X3 M40, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 3
      09-14-2024, 08:37 PM   #20
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
In most states you don't have to sue, you can contact the Attorney General's Office and if the manufacturer cannot prove why they denied your warranty claim, they will handle it on your behalf. At least that was my experience with GM when they denied an engine replacement under warranty for a known issue because I had longtube headers, intake manifold, catback exhaust, custom tune, full suspension & 4.10 gears. They claimed I raced the car, I did. However, racing was not a cause for warranty denial under the factory warranty. As soon as the AG got involved, I had a new engine installed under warranty within 2 weeks. YMMV.
Wow. Great to know.
Appreciate 0