BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
CDV
Rep
Drives: '12 Audi S4 6M

e9x M3 - what to look(out?) for in a used model

I'm considering purchasing a M3, likely an e90 with 6MT, but I'd like to know if there are any particular issues I should be watching out for in these cars that are specific to M3s.

I've owned a '09 CTS-V sedan and currently own a '12 S4 sedan, both 6MT, so a e90 M3 wouldn't be my first "sports" sedan. However, after test driving one last night, I think I want to move on a used one quickly - it just has a different feel than the '12 S4. Since there are a couple M3 sedans spec'd out pretty close to my tastes available right now, I'm hoping that forum members can help me get educated on these cars more quickly. In general I'm not looking at CPO models.

I will be using this car as a DD mostly, so do you think holding out for a car equipped with EDC is worth it?

Also, do any of you that may have opted not to get leather seats regret going with the cloth/leatherette combo? Have you found the manually adjustable front seats to be a pain or wished you had power adjustable seats?

If you had a choice between two similarly spec'd cars and could save $4k - $5k because one car has 15k more miles (but still not over 50k miles), do you think that is worth it?

Also, are there any particular differences between a '09 and a '11 e90 M3 that would lead you to pick one over the other (all options and mileage under 50k for both)?

Any other thoughts of course appreciated.

CDV
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Everything your looking for can be found searching here.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
These cars are solid. You should already be in your new M3 yesterday.

I myself have a 08 E90 M3 with 95k miles and have never had a hiccup.

Just make sure you get a PPI performed if you're not getting it from a BMW stealerahip.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
CDV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
Just make sure you get a PPI performed if you're not getting it from a BMW stealerahip.
The local BMW dealer doesn't do PPIs anymore; if you couldn't find a local BMW dealer to do a PPI, would you try to find another shop to do it?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDV View Post
The local BMW dealer doesn't do PPIs anymore; if you couldn't find a local BMW dealer to do a PPI, would you try to find another shop to do it?
Any local Indy with experience in BMW should be fine for PPI. Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

I know for the coupes definitely so I assume its the same for te sedans but in 2010 try upgraded the taillights to LEDs and. Few other things. 08-09 are called pre-LCI. Do some research on that to see what all was updated.

I would get the EDC.

I would spend the 4-5k more to get 15k less miles (assuming the lesser mile car is in as good or enter shape then the high mile one).

I have cloth and manual seats in my truck and While the leather does get real hot in the summer I do prefer it. It's a toss up/personal preference as far as power vs manual seats go IMO. I like the power seats in the M but the manual seats in my truck doesn't bother me.

Hope I could help some.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Check with your closest regional chapter of BMWCCA. Lots of good people and advice, usually. They may even know the particular car you are considering and will for certain be able to direct you to the best indy shop for an honest PPI
      07-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
CDV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola 32/65 View Post

I would get the EDC.

I would spend the 4-5k more to get 15k less miles (assuming the lesser mile car is in as good or enter shape then the high mile one).
If your choice was less than 20k miles without EDC versus 30k+ miles with EDC, which would you pick for a car that will mainly be a DD?

And on the cloth vs leather debate, I looked at a 50k+ mile M3 over the weekend, and the leather was not in the best shape and, at least to my eye, did not look all that appealing. Most likely the result of a prior owner (or 2?) not taking care of it very well.

Last edited by CDV; 07-21-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
If your choice was less than 20k miles without EDC versus 30k+ miles with EDC, which would you pick for a car that will mainly be a DD?

And on the cloth vs leather debate, I looked at a 50k+ mile M3 over the weekend, and the leather was not in the best shape and, at least to my eye, did not look all that appealing. Most likely the result of a prior owner (or 2?) not taking care of it very well.
What are you using the car for?
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
CDV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
What are you using the car for?
99% chance it's only used as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
99% chance it's only used as a daily driver.
It's really up to you. If you're doing a lot of daily miles, then EDC is great just because even that extra little comfort is great (especially if you have a family/girlfriend/wife. I think all things considered and the prices were similar, I would probably opt for the lower-mileage non-EDC. Reason being, it's not a bad ride at all. I think the 10K miles less on the clock would just make it that much better for me.

For reference, I had an EDC equipped '12 and loved it when I drove across the US and used it as a daily. It was nice to have the adjustability when the GF was in the car or the trip was long and flat, but then tight and stiffer in Sport+ on the track and over speed bumps. I had EDC, but given your situation, I'd rather have the lower-mileage car.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

Quote:

Usually I'm always a stickler for lower mileage cars but this is a tuff one. I think I'd choose the EDC car because 30k miles still isn't that high and I enjoy using the EDC.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:

I will be using this car as a DD mostly, so do you think holding out for a car equipped with EDC is worth it?

Also, do any of you that may have opted not to get leather seats regret going with the cloth/leatherette combo? Have you found the manually adjustable front seats to be a pain or wished you had power adjustable seats?

If you had a choice between two similarly spec'd cars and could save $4k - $5k because one car has 15k more miles (but still not over 50k miles), do you think that is worth it?

Also, are there any particular differences between a '09 and a '11 e90 M3 that would lead you to pick one over the other (all options and mileage under 50k for both)?
CDV
1) No. I have EDC (and like it), but don't adjust all that often, and most say the non-EDC settings are fine.

2) Personally for a DD, I'd only consider leather (personal opinion). Cloth is great for a track car. If anyone else is going to drive the car, I'd want auto with the seat memory. If it's just you, tossup.

3) I'd go for the lowest mileage I can find/afford in almost all cases, unless you are a high mileage driver (i.e. 20k+/yr), and the extra mileage won't get much extra warranty time.

4) None that I'm aware of. The biggest change was between 08 and 09 when the idrive/NAV was updated. Also, be aware 2011 was a long M3 model year, and there were two minor revisions (sometimes categorized as 2011.75, 2011.5 vs 2011), which you can easily find the differences via search. Nothing earth shattering, but you might find something to prefer for one vs the other if you find two 2011 otherwise similar.

Also, not to start any DCT vs 6MT arguments, but I'd recommend at least test driving a DCT to compare, even if you are planning to get a 6MT. It's a great transmission, even for people (like me) that have mostly driven manual. Plus, 6MT E90s are pretty rare, so you might find a better mileage/option/price combo in a DCT.