BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Anyone test drive the F15 with DHP, Adaptive M and Base suspension?

Chances are finding a dealer with all three different suspension is going to be tough around where I live. I am just curious to see if anyone test drove the DHP over the adaptive M suspension to see what was noticeably different between the two.

The adaptive M suspension doesn't have air suspension in the back does it? I thought i remember hearing that back in the E70 days most of the issues with that truck had to do with the suspension. I don't want to get it if its going to increase my chances of multiple dealership visits if i get the F15 next.

Alan
      07-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

DHP has ARS and DPC Adaptive M sport has not.

EDIT: Only base suspension does not have a rear air axle

Last edited by lovec1990; 07-30-2014 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: aditional data
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Check on these forums and bimmerfest I saw a post a couple weeks back that had a chart that showed the highlights of each suspension compared with each other. We test drove the basic suspension and it was comparable to our 2012 M Sport suspension, except the F15 was a lot more compliant on bumps. We opted for the adaptive M since it has the rear air bags. Which will give a better ride and keep the vehicle level during towing. We're close to $80k on this build and couldn't justify another $3500.
      07-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I have had adaptive suspension on every e70 and never once had an issue with air bags

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Here ya go
Attached Images

11-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Can someone with DHP and Conti DWS non-RFs all season 20's comment how the ride is when DHP is set to comfort? Is there any jarring feeling when riding over bumps? I am hoping the non-RFs soften the ride up a bit. My guess is the 20 with non-rf will have a similar ride quality (bump smoothing ability) to an X5 with 19" rf. Do you all agree?

I do not have my X5 yet, but I do plan on taking the rfs off immediately.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
patrick1
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 GT3, '17 X5M

contis vs pirelli's

The Conti's will give a softer more compliant ride. The difference is not that great. Only noticeable difference is in hard cornering where the P-Zero's are much more stable. I think BMW has really improved their chasis tuning with run flats the last several years. Temps and snow dictate I make a change to all-seasons-wish I didn't have to.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Thanks.

I welcome the slightly softer ride. I would keep the rf summer tires on, but 8000-10,000 mile before replacement is needed is unacceptable to me...especially at $2,000 a set. The all seasons are half the cost and last many times longer. The DWS will be great to leave on when I am in between seasons or for freak early/late season snow storms, which often occur in New England.

I have also ordered a dedicated winter set of tires and wheels for mid-December through March.

Last edited by SUV55; 11-03-2014 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

i will say that with DHP, AIR, Adaptive MSuspension, the ride is immensely changed over the stock x5 without any suspension options. now i test drove two cars, the one i own with all the suspension options, and a non msport with no suspension options. the difference was night and day.

being more comfortable and able to soak the bumps, as well as tightening up like a brick in sport mode. the options available to this X5 model year, make it the best handling suv i have ever experienced.
ive been in my neighbors 2014 cayenne turbo with some suspension options, and although it was extremely tight...the ride was smoother and comfortably agile in the bmw over the cayenne....let alone it cost $140K
      11-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Chances are finding a dealer with all three different suspension is going to be tough around where I live. I am just curious to see if anyone test drove the DHP over the adaptive M suspension to see what was noticeably different between the two.

The adaptive M suspension doesn't have air suspension in the back does it? I thought i remember hearing that back in the E70 days most of the issues with that truck had to do with the suspension. I don't want to get it if its going to increase my chances of multiple dealership visits if i get the F15 next.

Alan
Alan,

I just picked up my X5 xDrive50i a few weeks ago with the M adaptive suspension. The M adaptive suspension is essentially the same thing as the "Dynamic Damper control + rear axle air suspension" except with sportier tuning. You also get Sport+ instead of Comfort+ with the M adaptive suspension over the standard DDC. The ride is great, the car remains very flat and does not float at all. Cornering you can also feel the car firm up. Very good value in my opinion ($900 if you have M-sport).

The DHP in my opinion is not really worth it. The X5 with the M Adaptive Suspension is sporty enough as is, there's really no need for DHP unless you want to autoross/track your X5.

Hope this helps.
      11-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz View Post
Alan,

I just picked up my X5 xDrive50i a few weeks ago with the M adaptive suspension. The M adaptive suspension is essentially the same thing as the "Dynamic Damper control + rear axle air suspension" except with sportier tuning. You also get Sport+ instead of Comfort+ with the M adaptive suspension over the standard DDC. The ride is great, the car remains very flat and does not float at all. Cornering you can also feel the car firm up. Very good value in my opinion ($900 if you have M-sport).

The DHP in my opinion is not really worth it. The X5 with the M Adaptive Suspension is sporty enough as is, there's really no need for DHP unless you want to autoross/track your X5.

Hope this helps.
Well said .

DHP is wonderful for what it is and like you said, if you're really a stickler for having a tighter feel like me, then it's needed. Otherwise, the M-Suspension is plenty sporty and tight and definitely worth it for only $900 upgrade.
      11-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz View Post
Alan,

Hope this helps.
I've never taken my car to the track (although I'm sure it would be fun). I had an E53 w/o any form active suspension, an E70 with the active suspension and anti-body roll (but no DPC from the DHP) and an E71 with active suspension, anti-roll and DPC. Both the E70 and E71 had adaptive drive so the only difference between the two was the DPC that was standard on the E71s). I could Really tell the difference between the handling of the two cars. DPC rocks! I ordered DHP on my F16.

I've driven several F15s off the lot with the MAdaptive suspension (but no DHP). There is a very swervy street that is right by my dealer that I use to test the car's swerve-ability. In my opinion after having two Xs with adaptive drive (MSport+anti-roll), the F15 w/MSport is not flat. You can stiffen it up so you don't get that Town Car feeling, but the body roll is definitely apparent.

MSport helps with movement the sagittal axis (up and down)
Anti-roll helps with movement on the transverse axis (lateral/sideways body roll)
The torque-vectoring DPC helps keep the car on track

If you don't like body-roll, then you'll want DHP. If you don't care (or you don't $3500 care), then don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I've never taken my car to the track (although I'm sure it would be fun). I had an E53 w/o any form active suspension, an E70 with the active suspension and anti-body roll (but no DPC from the DHP) and an E71 with active suspension, anti-roll and DPC. Both the E70 and E71 had adaptive drive so the only difference between the two was the DPC that was standard on the E71s). I could Really tell the difference between the handling of the two cars. DPC rocks! I ordered DHP on my F16.

I've driven several F15s off the lot with the MAdaptive suspension (but no DHP). There is a very swervy street that is right by my dealer that I use to test the car's swerve-ability. In my opinion after having two Xs with adaptive drive (MSport+anti-roll), the F15 w/MSport is not flat. You can stiffen it up so you don't get that Town Car feeling, but the body roll is definitely apparent.

MSport helps with movement the sagittal axis (up and down)
Anti-roll helps with movement on the transverse axis (lateral/sideways body roll)
The torque-vectoring DPC helps keep the car on track

If you don't like body-roll, then you'll want DHP. If you don't care (or you don't $3500 care), then don't.
This is good info, but you have to remember that the top of the line suspension on previous models (that already had a TIGHTER stock suspension compared to the F15 stock suspension) will still beat/handle better than the top of the line suspensions in the F15/F16. So, to say that the M-suspension isn't that great compared to those previous suspensions...well that's obvious, but that's not what we are comparing here. The overall feel is to compare between stock, M-suspension, and DHP of the F15 or F16 only. That's the only way to see/feel what works for the individual. The suspension setup for the e70 and e71 was MUCH better so it's not really a fair comparison when discussing different suspensions options in that regard.

For the value and what you get, the M-suspension is good enough for many. For something even remotely close to a tight X5M/X6M feel, DHP is a must, esp if you have the 50i models. That's my two cents from my experiences.
      11-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
For the value and what you get, the M-suspension is good enough for many. For something even remotely close to a tight X5M/X6M feel, DHP is a must, esp if you have the 50i models. That's my two cents from my experiences.
I wish I could come up with some reason that a 50i is a must for DHP. You know that if I could convince my fiscally irresponsible self of that, I'd be all over a 50i! For now I'm going to have to resign myself to being jealous
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I wish I could come up with some reason that a 50i is a must for DHP. You know that if I could convince my fiscally irresponsible self of that, I'd be all over a 50i! For now I'm going to have to resign myself to being jealous
I still envy you for your DHP on your 35i. My FX35 was even slower than that, but I loved it simply because of how it handled with that rugged suspension. True control like that really makes you feel in tune/in sync with your vehicle. If I turn here, I expect my car to follow rather than me having to compensate for every little tid bit through a looser suspension.

This is also why I'm looking into upgrading to Accuair air suspension in a few months. I need that better feel .
      11-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Although I am very OK with the std. suspension (I don't know better...)
I am sure my next vehicle (If an X5/X6) will have:

7SZ Adaptive Suspension
Includes:
- 2VM Adaptive suspension Comfort
- 2VP Adaptive suspension Dynamic

Cheers,
Bent
Appreciate 1