Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 911 GT3

Impressions from recent ED and PTT comparison

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the new F80 from my recent ED and quick comparo to my current PTT.

Options:
DCT
Alpine white
Black 19" wheels
Black Full Merino leather
Harman Kardon Sound
Bluetooth +

There have been lots of reviews on the forum already. For me, it was a little hard to judge given personal experiences are subjective and relative to what it is compared to. Lots of people have come from the E92 generation M3s, which I have never driven. So after driving about 700 miles through the Alps, I wanted to share some of my thoughts about the new F80 M3 in comparison to my current PTT, which is full optioned with Sports Chrono, torque vectoring, etc.

Transmission
When optioning the car, this was the hardest decision for me. I did want a dual clutch transmission, but I had been disappointed with recent iterations of them, including the PDK in the Porsche. The main issue being the slow response to shift commands. In the Porsche, the commands become very fast under full engine loads at high RPMs >4000, however.

I have great news for all of you. The DCT in the F80 is amazing, it blows the PDK in my PTT away. At RPMs lower than 3000 and light engine loads, the DCT in S3 mode responds to commands at least 5-10 times faster than the PDK in Sports + mode. Again, at higher RPMs and engine loads, the response is similar.

Another huge advantage of the DCT compared to the PDK in my PTT is the gear ratio set up. The gear ratios in the DCT are far closer between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th compared to the PDK. This makes going through the gears a really enjoyable experience.

The PDK in the new GT3 has changed gear ratios, and I would expect better response to shift commands, but the DCT in the F80 M3 is better than the PDK in 2011 PTT, period.

Steering and handling

This is where I was disappointed a little. I have owned a 2001 325i and always bragged about how that car was connected to the road and how sharp the steering was. It is hard to explain, but the steering in the F80 did not feel sharp or connected to the road. I admit that I likely need more time at the wheel to get used to the car and have a better feel. Nevertheless, the steering in my PTT is way better.

Now the handling... Well, I try to recall what it felt like, but I cannot, even though I drove the car through the twists of the Alps for hours. Part of this, I think is due to the fact that I did not push the car hard and, second, I think is the likely the lack of road feel from the steering. I am glad that I did not get the adaptive suspension, however, since the basic setup felt like it is already too plush.

Exhaust and engine note
I am not sure what everybody is complaining about. I love the engine and the exhaust notes. I couldn't tell for one second if the sound was artificial. The exhaust is already very loud, and I don't think one needs to replace it.

Acceleration
It pulls hard, and the power comes in a linear fashion. Very little to no turbo lag, and I think the throttle response is slightly better than in the PTT. However, It does not pull as hard as my PTT, but it is very close. I will have a standing and rolling start head to head comparos when my M3 arrives soon.

Fit and Finish
Second to none

In short, based on my relatively short experience with the F80 M3, my subjective verdict is that the M3 DCT, throttle response and exhaust notes are better than that of my PTT, but the F80 does come second in handling and steering feel. Nevertheless, I think it was much more fun driving the F80 M3, likely due to the sublime DCT and the loud exhaust note.

Here is my beauty.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Comments from my experience: Steering is precise but could be more communicative. Handling is great with tremendous grip and almost no understeer. Exhaust note is good under hard throttle, but dynamic sound is a bit weird - I'd prefer a two-mode switch. Power is linear and abundant. Fit and finish I would also say are first rate.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

What is ptt?

Turbo?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
What is ptt?

Turbo?
I think it is a panamera.

Which is a bit of an odd comparo but nice to see a good result, especially on fit and finish.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
What is ptt?

Turbo?
Porsche Panamera Turbo = PTT

Edit: My bet, it stands for Panamera Twin Turbo

Last edited by gago1101; 08-06-2014 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
I think it is a panamera.

Which is a bit of an odd comparo but nice to see a good result, especially on fit and finish.
I am using my Porsche as a reference since my experience is subjective at best. Talking about the M3 without a reference in a subjective manner is somewhat useless as an M3 can be the best supercar for someone coming off a VW Jetta, but not so good coming off a Ferrari Italia.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I've gotten tired of white with SO interior but yours with black leather looks amazing, even a bit rare. Something about it being high contrast, binary, and w/o color makes it look bold, clean.
      08-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gago1101 View Post
I am using my Porsche as a reference since my experience is subjective at best. Talking about the M3 without a reference in a subjective manner is somewhat useless as an M3 can be the best supercar for someone coming off a VW Jetta, but not so good coming off a Ferrari Italia.
Yeah, not criticizing (everyone will necessarily compare to what they know, the subject (the self) is implicit in any subjective comparison) just saying it was not a comparo I had personally thought about or that I was expecting.

Still, happy to read it and see that it ranks well (other than steering)

Serious ask: how often and where do you push something as large as the PTT to the limit?

(I know it is capable of hard driving, just would guess most owners don't hit those limits)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Yeah, not criticizing (everyone will necessarily compare to what they know, the subject (the self) is implicit in any subjective comparison) just saying it was not a comparo I had personally thought about or that I was expecting.

Still, happy to read it and see that it ranks well (other than steering)

Serious ask: how often and where do you push something as large as the PTT to the limit?

(I know it is capable of hard driving, just would guess most owners don't hit those limits)
LOL, I do.. Check this out
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Hahahahahaha. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Congratulations on the new car. Nice feedback, I can relate to your notes and as everyone else, I am having hard time waiting for mine.

Isn't it amazing that any Porsche can be tracked, even the Cayenne?
Appreciate 0