BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

New to BMW, Order Placed 2015 35D

As we are starting to track our new and first BMW, I wanted to thank you all for your posts. I have been a longtime lurker and thought I would post some of my thoughts for for the other lurkers out there.

First our status, we placed our order on Saturday August 9 and on Sunday I realized the had the wrong wood so I went back Monday the 11th and made changes to it and a couple other options. I left at 11 am, the car went into production at 1PM and will be finished on August 18th. HOLY COW. I was barely back at work when they started it. I know the dealer modified one he had coming, but still, making changes with 2 hours to go has to be unheard of in automobile manufacturing

We are in Richmond, so the plant is about 5 hrs 30 mins away and we are requesting a PCD. They don't think we can pick up before labor day though so we might have to have it shipped up with school in session. Will find out tomorrow.

We are longtime MB owners and wife currently drives 2002 ML500. It just won't die, has 198,000 miles and never had a single repair other than normal wear items and a few fuses blown. Still drives like the day we bought it, but we are simply bored and it is time to move on. Also the daugter is turning 16 so she has a new well used ML to take over. We certainly tested the new MLs and GLs many times but they took all the fun out of them. Just so "floaty" and the acceleration lag was too much to bear. We also had probems with the headrests being too forward. We looked briefly at the Grand Cherokee SRT and Diesel, neither was refined enough and the quality of the ones we saw was just not up to par. To feel better about spending alot on a vehicle I even took the wife to drive a Ford Explorer sport which stickered at $52,500. it was nice for size, and rode well, but just SO much plastic. But I knew that, just went to show that everything is expensive these days and you get more for your money with the luxury brands in general. We then went to the Porsche dealer and were 90% to buying a 2011 certified Cayenne Turbo. it was awesome and came with 6 yr warranty (from original in service date) and certainly drove like its original 143K ish sticker. Top speed 173mph 0-60 4.3 etc etc. But wife decided it had a stigma with it that appeared too snobby for lack of a better word, to drive into work. They were asking 74K for it and it was pristine. Also we were scared about replacing the huge tires every year at $500.00 each and the brakes on that model were huge and expensive. We would also 100% have to switch out a winter set of tires and wheels. So we moved on.

We (I) debated back and forth on the 50i and the diesel many times. I drove both and was set on the 50i, but we changed our minds at the last minute. It seems like the mileage is just so much better, at times almost double. I hear you can get 600+ on a tank. I also felt that if I ordered the 50i I would want dynamic handling and Bang and Olufsun and most of the bells and whistles, which was 95K. We ended up at 80K with the below build. I thought the diesel had satisfying acceleration and felt as fast as the ML we currently have with the v8. I did feel that it needed a little help in the cornering so i added the M sports suspension to see how that works. I was comparing to the 50i with the $4500 handling package so hard to compare those. I also had to come to the conclusion that it is the wife's car and not mine, she is plenty happy with the pep.

We did find the buying experience very different as the feeling we got is that the dealer sold all they wanted of these and if we wanted to order one great, just let them know. We got a 3.5 % discount and another $1K from the un4gettable event. They say no better is ever given and they price everyone the same. While they said that, they have a 2015 50i out from at 96K sticker at 7% off and a 7 series on the floor for 88k which was i think about 100-106 range. Both 2014s that they say are "older models" although i know the 50i just came in a month ago as that is the one i test drove. I know with PCD i could shop more but I am a local businessman and I talk about buying local all the time, so i have to try to.

Sorry I am rambling, here is what we ordered:
2015 35d
M sport package
19" all Seasons (daughter is ski racer and we need good snow traction all winter)
Adaptive M suspension
Mineral White, Mocha Design Package, Pure wood Trim
Driver Assistance Package, Plus Package, with ACC, a must for me
Cold weather package
Lighting package
Luxury seating package (had to get MC seats for my size, huge plus for me)
Comfort Rear Seats
Parking Assist
Ventilated Seats
Rear Shades
Spare tire
Ceramic controls (debated but this is one i added last minute)
Harmon Kardon
Enhanced Bluetooth

Basically everything but the NIght vision, Bang Sound, Active steering, or Dynamic handling.

Sticker was about $79,900 and we got the 3.5% plus 1K which covers about all the tax and stuff...

Will fill in as our adventure pans out...Thanks again all
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Nice write up! Congrats on the upcoming vehicle! Ceramic controls make the car look better
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Good build. Congrats.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Welcome aboard and congrats on ordering a new X5! Hopefully it will be as great an experience as you've had with your ML500. As you mentioned there is a wealth of experience and information available here.

I also have 35d on order and most likely will pick it up the second week of Sept. via PCD. And I agree that it is a quick build. Mine will be 4 weeks from order to pickup give or take a few days.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

very nice build, congrats

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Congrats on the your new X5! You loaded it really nicely . I hope you guys thoroughly enjoy it. From all the members here, it really is a gas efficient power house - a perfect balance, especially for the wife.
      08-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Congratulations and welcome onboard.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Congrats! I wonder if that will have the updated transmission and seat stitch? Nice build! Good Luck!

Joe
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Mine will prob arrive in a week too. Very similar build to yours. White on mocha also with msport, 3rd row, LEDs, B&O, rear seat DVD etc
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70 View Post
Congrats! I wonder if that will have the updated transmission and seat stitch? Nice build! Good Luck!

Joe
Good question. I'd like to know too as mine was one of the first 2015s built
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz View Post
Good question. I'd like to know too as mine was one of the first 2015s built
You should have the better transmission but not the stitching. Stitching wasn't due to change until September. Transmission was supposed to change when the MY changed.
      08-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
vadriver
Private
Rep

We thought of that and have asked my salesman about it. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. I always seem to know more than the salesman. Like on my order it said Decoding for anti-dazzle and he went on to tell me how cool they were, then i found out on here that is the DEcoding, so we lose it.

I am hoping i get the trans upgrade, the stitching probably will look better, but we loved the Mocha Design one we tested a couple months back, i thought it was impressive. So we wouldn't cancel for it. They said they would just bring it in to our specs and we could evaluate, we can then say yes or no and we gave them $1K to hold for us. If we do the PCD obviously we buy it and it is our car. We are requesting the PCM and hoping they can squeeze us in. I coach high school football in my spare time so I am trying to work it in pre-season.

One funny thing is our build online has:

MSPORT PACKAGE
High gloss Roof Rails
Satin Aluminum Roof Rails

I thought those were a bit contradictory. We just asked for black, and we verified today, but i thought this was misleading
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Most SA are not knowledgeable as they "should" be.. they are there to make $$ and that is about it. Interestingly, if they were as knowledged as some of us are on these forums they would probably make more $$... Anyway, only thing I am curious about your build is why you chose not to include the DHP?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
vadriver
Private
Rep

Be glad to answer. If i got the 50i i would have spent the $4500.00. I think that car can use it better. I opted not to include on the 35d for 1)cost 2) the diesel just isnt as fast a vehicle and I have heard that most people are pleased with the handling of the X5 in general and 3) i had to remember it was the wife's car and while she probably drives as fast as i do, she simply doesnt care or notice as much as i would that you can take a ramp off a 70 mph highway and still go 70 mph without feeling it. We did that in the 50i with ADP and it never even leaned an inch.

The 50i we test drove was 96K sticker and that was a 2014, probably up for this year. She just didn't want to spend that much. Its not that it isn't worth it. Trust me we debated. I probably would have bought the Cayenne Turbo for 74 (used 35K miles, 2011) before spending 96k on an x5 50i though. If I was ordering it for me, it would have been the V8 with B&O and DHP. The Cayenne turbo compares to the X5M which isnt out. Their S or GTS compares to the 50i. One note is the cayenne was much roomier for a guy my size, and back seat room was better too. I am satisfied with the X5 obviously. On major thing i need is the thigh extender on the MC seat. Don't anyone buy this car without the Multi Contour, worth every penny. We did get the ventilated seat which i hear is the weakest part of the vehicle, but we will see what happens.

I thought the 35d could be a little better in not throwing you on a fast curve so i added the adaptive M suspension for $900 which i assume will help some. Just a choice, We obviously debated on many of them. I doubt we even need the dumb package that parallel parks the car, but it might be a hoot to try and may even come in handy sometime. It was on this build so we left it there.

A had also seen that the active steering really wasnt necessary on these so i left that out too.

Maybe someone that has the 35d with the DHP can chime in. Hope that helps a little
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriver View Post
Be glad to answer. If i got the 50i i would have spent the $4500.00. I think that car can use it better. I opted not to include on the 35d for 1)cost 2) the diesel just isnt as fast a vehicle and I have heard that most people are pleased with the handling of the X5 in general and 3) i had to remember it was the wife's car and while she probably drives as fast as i do, she simply doesnt care or notice as much as i would that you can take a ramp off a 70 mph highway and still go 70 mph without feeling it. We did that in the 50i with ADP and it never even leaned an inch.

The 50i we test drove was 96K sticker and that was a 2014, probably up for this year. She just didn't want to spend that much. Its not that it isn't worth it. Trust me we debated. I probably would have bought the Cayenne Turbo for 74 (used 35K miles, 2011) before spending 96k on an x5 50i though. If I was ordering it for me, it would have been the V8 with B&O and DHP. The Cayenne turbo compares to the X5M which isnt out. Their S or GTS compares to the 50i. One note is the cayenne was much roomier for a guy my size, and back seat room was better too. I am satisfied with the X5 obviously. On major thing i need is the thigh extender on the MC seat. Don't anyone buy this car without the Multi Contour, worth every penny. We did get the ventilated seat which i hear is the weakest part of the vehicle, but we will see what happens.

I thought the 35d could be a little better in not throwing you on a fast curve so i added the adaptive M suspension for $900 which i assume will help some. Just a choice, We obviously debated on many of them. I doubt we even need the dumb package that parallel parks the car, but it might be a hoot to try and may even come in handy sometime. It was on this build so we left it there.

A had also seen that the active steering really wasnt necessary on these so i left that out too.

Maybe someone that has the 35d with the DHP can chime in. Hope that helps a little
Welcome aboard! Our cars should finish on the same date 8/18! In my opinion the stock suspension can more than enough handles the power output from 35D.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

You can have the anti dazzle turned back on. It's done through coding. You just have to remove the 5AP and 8S4 from your VO. You can learn to code yourself or you can pay someone to do it over the internet. If you got the lighting pkg you definitely want these features. The variable light distribution (8S4) is a must have on your low beams. I enjoy it daily on mine. If you decide you want some one to code for you PM V12 on this forum. Rich is a great guy with a lot of knowledge on coding. There's a bunch of other features he can turn on as well. Congrats!
      08-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
vadriver
Private
Rep

skalberti

Thanks, i will look to get some help on coding them back in so i appreciate the tip.

What are the other features you are suggesting?

Gonna go search You tube now for coding lessons.....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #18
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
skalberti

Thanks, i will look to get some help on coding them back in so i appreciate the tip.

You wont find anything on you tube. Here you go:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
skalberti

I'll try to add to what skalberti wrote. The link he shared is the best place to start with all coding general information. In addition:

You will first need this - OBD2 ENET Cable to connect your BMW to your laptop/windows tablet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201056990534...84.m1497.l2649

This link shows you all the coders by location: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=693949

This link gives step by step instructions on how to install ESYS and PDZDATA and how to code by yourself: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631884

You will need to buy a token - basically a special password allowing you access to ESYS database in the format of .est. The guy's name is Eli - just email him at f x x t o k e n m a s t e r(at)gmail(dot)com (no spaces between his name and obviously change the @ and .).

Here's some other useful information if you code yourself:

After you get Esys and pdzdata files setup, you can use this F15 coding cheat sheet made by r33:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9s4/edit#gid=0

Quick tips:
1) Make sure under E-Sys => Options => Settings => Program tab => Memory Requirement => RAM is set to 1024 or you will likely be unable to read BDC. Do NOT use anything larger than 1024, or E-Sys will be unable to Open, and you will have to reinstall it.
2) When you connect - you connect via your VIN using the ENET cable and your computer. The Target connection is F25 since the F15 uses similar coding to the X3. Don't select the _DIRECT target version. That's only for use with MOTOR coding/modules, which you won't ever need or use unless something is really messed up and you get an advanced coder to help you reset your motor etc.
3) RIGHT CLICK to activate each folder or read each folder or code each module - DO NOT by any means CODE Default Values or CODE a whole folder - when you right click to CODE, do it for the individual module you are editing only.

ESYS Coding steps simplified: Esys has a left window, a right window, a bottom left window where folders/files show up; it has a buttons section on the bottom right window area.
1) Read FA folder- located at the top left window - must right click and activate first and then you will be able to read it.
2) Read ECU - button on the bottom right side after you've selected the FA module
3) Read code for SVT folder in the bottom left window.
4) Code the desired module by right clicking it and selecting Edit FDL.
5) Save the editing using either the right button to save or right click to save or save via the prompt after it shows up.
6) Right click the module you just finished editing and select Code FDL.

After you get everything setup and still need help, PM me and I can help you remotely. Good luck!
      08-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Ya I didn't want to bombard him with all that info. It can be pretty intimidating. You shouldn't need a token if you're just doing FDL coding. As far as the PDZDATA, you won't find that floating around the net. The latest software 53.0 and I can get you that if you need. The link I posted above has a link to E-SYS. As far as cables, stay away from eBay. Most of those on there are sketchy. A lot of the guys I know have had problems connecting or the cables wear out quickly and don't work. One place I've bought cables from and all the other coders I know use:
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=21

The cable comes from Hong Kong and takes two weeks for delivery, but they're $19, high quality and work consistently well.
      08-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Ya I didn't want to bombard him with all that info. It can be pretty intimidating. You shouldn't need a token if you're just doing FDL coding. As far as the PDZDATA, you won't find that floating around the net. The latest software 53.0 and I can get you that if you need. The link I posted above has a link to E-SYS. As far as cables, stay away from eBay. Most of those on there are sketchy. A lot of the guys I know have had problems connecting or the cables wear out quickly and don't work. One place I've bought cables from and all the other coders I know use:
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=21

The cable comes from Hong Kong and takes two weeks for delivery, but they're $19, high quality and work consistently well.
Yeah, true, that's why I figured I'd help if he got confused. You do need a token though when you are trying to READ the data because the password box pops up each time for that unless you're referring to some "patched" version that bypasses this for FDL coding. I'm not that familiar with that since I just learned coding recently. You're probably right about cables, and I did plenty of research before buying mine, and this one from ebay has lasted me without any issues since May:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-ENET-Et...3D201056990534
      08-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #22
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Yeah, true, that's why I figured I'd help if he got confused. You do need a token though when you are trying to READ the data because the password box pops up each time for that unless you're referring to some "patched" version that bypasses this for FDL coding. I'm not that familiar with that since I just learned coding recently. You're probably right about cables, and I did plenty of research before buying mine, and this one from ebay has lasted me without any issues since May:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-ENET-Et...3D201056990534

Here's a link to tell you what all you can do without a token and what you need a token to do. If you want to use a Mac to code with let me know and I can tell you how to set everything up. To me, a Mac running windows codes a lot faster than s straight windows based PC. Also I PM'd you

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=785968
Appreciate 0