BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Question about M sport handling

I really like the look of the M Sport, but don't want a hard ride. Is there any difference between the M Sport suspension and the other models that make it ride much harder without ordering any of the suspension upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender
I really like the look of the M Sport, but don't want a hard ride. Is there any difference between the M Sport suspension and the other models that make it ride much harder without ordering any of the suspension upgrades?
I have the standard suspension and I love it! No plastic rattles as the suspension is soft, yet sporty. I can't complaint. I travel a lot and I put 15k miles as of today in about 10months and it's very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Despite what anyone else tells you, unless you get bigger wheels, you'll have much more body roll/looser cornering with the stock suspension compared to M-Sport suspension or DHP. My recommendation...get DHP if you can afford it.
      09-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

In comfort setting and 19" wheels the ride is really,really good. Sport mode the ride is firmer but not harsh by any means and it handles like a well tuned sport sedan.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

I have the 19" wheels with M sport, and added the $900 Adaptive M suspension and we are extremely happy with the ride and the cornering/handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriver View Post
I have the 19" wheels with M sport, and added the $900 Adaptive M suspension and we are extremely happy with the ride and the cornering/handling.
We have M-sport without M adaptive and kind of wish we had added it. We like the ride though.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D

I have M adaptive suspension option added and glad I did. In comfort mode the ride is very comfortable without being floaty. The nice thing is you have the option to switch to Sport mode if you needed better cornering and the suspension does tighten up a little, again without being harsh. This is with 19 " wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra006
I have M adaptive suspension option added and glad I did. In comfort mode the ride is very comfortable without being floaty. The nice thing is you have the option to switch to Sport mode if you needed better cornering and the suspension does tighten up a little, again without being harsh. This is with 19 " wheels.
+1.

But first, in case it isn't clear from the other posts, getting an M sport line does not change the suspension, it's the standard suspension unless you add the suspension options too. So you. CAN choose M sport line without the stiffer suspension options. You can, but you shouldn't... I too skipped the suspension upgrades because this is my wife's car and the standard suspension is still pretty good. Pretty good for an SUV, but definitely does have too much body roll. So I regret not getting the upgrades. Like others have said, you can always use comfort when you want it softer.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
+1.

But first, in case it isn't clear from the other posts, getting an M sport line does not change the suspension, it's the standard suspension unless you add the suspension options too. So you. CAN choose M sport line without the stiffer suspension options. You can, but you shouldn't... I too skipped the suspension upgrades because this is my wife's car and the standard suspension is still pretty good. Pretty good for an SUV, but definitely does have too much body roll. So I regret not getting the upgrades. Like others have said, you can always use comfort when you want it softer.
Agree with you 100% on everything you've said. When you have the better suspensions, comfort mode really makes the car handle much more softly/smoothly - this is ideal for relaxed every day driving. However, when you need the cornering/better handling, it's there with the M suspension upgrade or DHP upgrade.
      09-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
+1.

Agree with you 100% on everything you've said. When you have the better suspensions, comfort mode really makes the car handle much more softly/smoothly - this is ideal for relaxed every day driving. However, when you need the cornering/better handling, it's there with the M suspension upgrade or DHP upgrade.
What's worse, I should have known better. I have DHP on my F30 so I know it's worth every penny, just didn't plan on driving the F15 as much as I do
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What's worse, I should have known better. I have DHP on my F30 so I know it's worth every penny, just didn't plan on driving the F15 as much as I do
Ah, that is annoying . I feel your pain, though. I wish I built my car now since I don't have it after buying it on the lot.
      09-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Ah, that is annoying . I feel your pain, though. I wish I built my car now since I don't have it after buying it on the lot.
I know I said this to you before Opasha but never never ever buy off the dealer optioned car from the lot. Unless the deal is stupid crazy
I always build my own BMW to my own specifications Same thing can be said with other manufactures.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Wifey and I tried out the M50d with M-sport suspension settings, and hated the bounces - too firm even in Comfort mode. Can't imagine how the passengers in the 3rd row (we were looking for a 7-seater) would feel! Settled on the air-suspension "Comfort" option on an xDrive35i instead. Taking it home in a week's time, just in time for my birthday!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1.

HMMM - I see now that there are 4 suspensions options for M sport:

Standard - 0.4" lower on the M sport, same ride, or slightly firmer

Adaptive M = + $900 to the build and gives damper control and air rear axle

Dynamic Damper + $1500, gives damper control and Air rear axle

Dynamic Handling - added $4500 to build on M Sport - gives active roll control and thrust vectoring rear axle

I am having trouble understanding the difference between Adaptive M and Dynamic Damper control since the explaination for each on the build site says damper control and air rear axle????

Adaptive M for $900 seems to be a better choice in terms of bang for the buck
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post

Dynamic Handling - added $4500 to build on M Sport - gives active roll control and thrust vectoring rear axle

I am having trouble understanding the difference between Adaptive M and Dynamic Damper control since the explaination for each on the build site says damper control and air rear axle????

I've not heard or read anything about the suspension on the M sport being any lower or firmer. As I've always understood, on the F15, it is the standard suspension, no change compared to X-line, Lux, or no-line.

There is a Sticky outlining the different suspension options (also based on 2014 model):

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=913797

As a side note, I still can't believe the $4500 bucks for DHP doesn't include the active steering. That's one more sign to me that the "Active Steering" on the X5 is not intended to stiffen up the steering feel like the "Variable Sport Steering" on the F30 (which is included in the DHP for the F30). But I've read comments from people on here with the Active Steering that say it does tighten up steering feel when they put it in sport mode. That happens slightly without Active Steering, but some do seem to feel it does that even more-so with AS. Anything but simple… They need to find a better way to make more direct connections with these options. Maybe add more driving modes or something when you have the suspension upgrades (maybe sport, sport 1, sport 2 sport 3… or something instead of just sport and sport +, with different things happening within those and within comfort based on options you do or don't have).

Last edited by chrisny; 09-23-2014 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #16
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post

I don't believe this one can be ordered with ZMM package (M-Sport):

My interpretation is it is either Adaptive M or Dynamic Handling for upgrades over the M-Sport standard suspension. Clear as mud; their ordering guidelines leave a lot to be desired from a clarity standpoint.
      09-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post

My interpretation is it is either Adaptive M or Dynamic Handling for upgrades over the M-Sport standard suspension. Clear as mud; their ordering guidelines leave a lot to be desired from a clarity standpoint.
+1. When you select it, it will force you to remove M sport (and notice when it does, it says it is also going to remove the Standard Suspension, not sport suspension… if the M sport were any lower or stiffer than the other lines, it would have something to indicate such, usually "sport suspension").

+1 to the "lot to be desired too" lol
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've not heard or read anything about the suspension on the M sport being any lower or firmer.

I've read here or maybe it was on bimmerfest forums that it does lower.

Here are some links that mentions the suspension lowers itself when active.
Albeit its not a F15

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...uspension.html

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ris-motor-show
Quote:
and the Adaptive M suspension (which lowers ride height by a centimeter). - See more at: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news....fuq0zOf7.dpuf
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/201...-ar163159.html
Quote:
The Adaptive M Suspension not only lowers the 228i Coupe by 10 mm (0.4 inches), but also adds front axle and central sensors that gather data to assess the vehicle’s damping needs at all times.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I've read here or maybe it was on bimmerfest forums that it does lower.

Here are some links that mentions the suspension lowers itself when active.
Albeit its not a F15

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...uspension.html

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ris-motor-show

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/201...-ar163159.html
I was referring to the standard suspension without adding the adaptive, DHP, etc.. simply selecting the M Sport Line without adding the suspension upgrades doesn't change the suspension, it's the same standard F15 suspension as the X-line, Lux-line, and no-line… Literally the same option code on your order sheet.

By comparison, the F30 Sport and M sport lines will add a stiffer, lower suspension (unless you get an x-drive, which is another point of confusion, and also infuriating), the "Sport Suspension." You can then add the adaptive M on top of that. For whatever reason, the F15, as well as at least '13 E70's, adding the M sport option does/did not give you a sport suspension. I've always hated that.. how can a sport package NOT give you a sport suspension….!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I see. Yes I know what you mean... my E60 with sports package ( which really meant something!!! ) had the sports suspension that was slightly lower that was equipped with EDC damping controls and ARS anti roll stabilizers...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've not heard or read anything about the suspension on the M sport being any lower or firmer. As I've always understood, on the F15, it is the standard suspension, no change compared to X-line, Lux, or no-line.

There is a Sticky outlining the different suspension options (also based on 2014 model):

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=913797

As a side note, I still can't believe the $4500 bucks for DHP doesn't include the active steering. That's one more sign to me that the "Active Steering" on the X5 is not intended to stiffen up the steering feel like the "Variable Sport Steering" on the F30 (which is included in the DHP for the F30). But I've read comments from people on here with the Active Steering that say it does tighten up steering feel when they put it in sport mode. That happens slightly without Active Steering, but some do seem to feel it does that even more-so with AS. Anything but simple… They need to find a better way to make more direct connections with these options. Maybe add more driving modes or something when you have the suspension upgrades (maybe sport, sport 1, sport 2 sport 3… or something instead of just sport and sport +, with different things happening within those and within comfort based on options you do or don't have).
I checked again and I am wrong - it is the Active M suspension that is 0.4" lower than standard. I assume that this suspension may be slightly firmer than standard even in the softest mode. What is not clear is that air rear axel is included. This option only added $900 to the M Sprot build.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #22
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post

DITTO! The suspension options are not well described. Very superficial information, mostly marketing glitz.
Appreciate 0