Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
nickdrivesm3
Motorsport Product Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs...duh

Giving hot laps in an M4 (review) and shared the track with the ALMS GT2 M3

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
For the past 3 years I've been given the opportunity to participate in the Coronado Speedfest in San Diego, CA. To make a long story short, BMWNA gets together with the San Diego BMW Dealership Association to sponsor the event and provide various BMW activities throughout the weekend. One of the activities is a Ride & Drive area where you can sign up to test drive a new BMW (25 different ones to choose from) around a mini AutoX course to feel the car out. After you test drive one or two of the BMWs, you get a voucher for $1,000 off a new BMW. Not a bad deal huh?

Aside from the Ride and Drive event, BMWNA also has a "side show" for the spectators, event VIPs and Enlisted Military as well. In between the race groups, we get 4-5 BMW ///M cars to give a few hot laps to entertain the crowd and our special passengers. For the past 3 years, this is what I get to do at Speedfest.

With my profession with BMW of El Cajon (Retired Technician of 9 years, now the Motosport Genius) and my driving credentials with BMW Car Club of America (HPDE Instructor) I've driven almost every kind of BMW out there. But this event would allow me to give the M4 a a well-rounded review.

The M4 in a nutshell:

Having read all the hype from every online source to seeing the Nurburgring footage and hearing all the Oooohs and Awwwws, to being at the dealership when our first one arrived to taking it out on its first test drive to finally getting a chance to take one to the track, I only have one word to describe the car:

DAMN.

When it comes to reviewing a car, I'm no Chris Harris. Nor am I a professional Journalist nor am I a FIA licensed driver. However, I know a little bit about cars and how they work. And I've been under the hood of almost every kind of BMW out there. Needless to say, this car did not cease to impress me.

Upon getting in the car and firing it up, it immediately gives you the Motorsport feeling. Its no V8 M3 and it may not be as sexy in appearance as the e46 M3 but its still an M car. After the shock and awe wears off on you, the only thing left to do is take it through its paces. And that's exactly what I did.

The track was 11 turns and its all flat for the most part. Its actually not even a track, its a Naval Runway for planes to land and take off. But with this event, they made it into a track. Fine by me right?

With the car in full M mode and my passenger securely buckled into the passenger seat, I approached pit exit, waited for the signal and took off down the front straight. The car was equipped with DCT and with #3 shift setting I had it on, the rear wheels proceeded to spin through second gear and chirp into 3rd. Every up-shift was a kick in the ass as I took it to 120mph before approaching the brake zone for turn 1. Upon braking down to 65mph and turning the car to enter the turn, the car did exactly what I wanted it to. No drama, good feedback through the wheel and even better the was solid feeling from the back end of the as the rear subframe is bolted directly to the body with no bushings to cushion the feeling. Turn 1 & 2 are a double apex with a nice bump in the middle, so it helps rotate the car as long as you're not too aggressive. The M4 made it through this turn with no drama in the chassis and even though I had it in MDM mode, the car still let me get a fair amount of lateral G before intervening. Upon exiting turn 2, the noise from the engine was just AWESOME! It gave an incredible intake noise that sounded like something you would want to hear an engine make at mid/high RPM under full throttle. I laughed as I heard this because those who think the noise of the M3/4 are softened and tampered with the Active Sound feature have no idea what they are talking about. With windows down and full acceleration, the M4 makes a noise what will cause you to wet yourself as it pushes your chest against the seat.

As I put the M4 through its paces, turn after turn, lap after lap, I got very accustomed to the car. The electric power steering becomes a part of you. In fact, you almost cannot tell the different between the EPS and the old-style hydraulic power steering. The input for the steering wheel becomes simple and precise. At speed it gives good feedback so its not so sensitive but when you're in the slower turns or maneuvering around the pits, its soft enough that you won't struggle to go lock to lock.

We had 2 F10 M5s and 2 M6 Gran Coupes for this event too and yes, I drove all of them throughout the weekend. But in the end the M4 made an impression on me. It delivered the experience I wanted and set the bar higher than I thought it would. The S55 is an exceptional power plant for that car and it delivers its power in just the right way. With the way the chassis is designed, having the rear subframe connected directly to the body, you have a lot of feedback and confidence that you know what is going on back there. I never felt uneasy in the M4 with a lot of later G in anticipation of the back end trying to come around on me, which I did feel often in the E9X M3.

If you want to know what I would do, I would go order an M3. Not knocking the M4 at all but if the M3 is anything like the M4, I know how its going to drive and considering the M3 is about $2500 cheaper, 3in wider in the back and now equipped with a Carbon Fiber roof...I'm sold.

As for sharing the track with the GT2 M3, words cannot do justice and seeing/sharing the track with the car is something I can now cross off my bucket list. I'll let the videos do the talking.

Here are some of the videos of us giving hot laps and of the ALMS GT2 M3 piloted by Bill Auberlen

From an M5 (I was in the M4):

My friend getting a ride along in the GT2 M3 w/ BMWNA employee driving:

In-car video of the GT2 as I drag race it down the front straight in the M4:

Misc pics of the event:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Haha, Kelsy towers over everyone in that last pic, especially Bill A and Steve J!

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
nickdrivesm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Haha, Kelsy towers over everyone in that last pic, especially Bill A and Steve J!
haha yes she does, must be a bad camera angle
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
BMW needs to record the sound of that GT2 for the Enhanced Sound.

GAWD
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Great review, thanks for taking the time to post!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
nickdrivesm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
BMW needs to record the sound of that GT2 for the Enhanced Sound.

GAWD
That would be way too cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Great review, thanks for taking the time to post!
Thanks, glad I could contribute.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Superb story, very enjoyable to read, thank you.

It is interesting, the sound in the GT2 that is; the engine and exhaust sounds are delightful. In the Porsche cup cars all you tend to hear is the transmission whine, it still is a wonderful noise, but in this GT2 is couple of levels more enjoyable I think
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Looks like a great time. That GT2 is amazing. I'd love to have a ride with Auberlen. Imagine what you could learn from that guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Great write-up Nick! I had the pleasure of a ride-along in the M4 with Steve driving. Dan took Sue and I out on Thursday night in the BSM M5 and we blasted around some of the twisties in Rancho Santa Fe!

The whole weekend is always a blast, but the M4 ride-along was the highlight of the weekend for me! Looking forward to May!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
nickdrivesm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Superb story, very enjoyable to read, thank you.

It is interesting, the sound in the GT2 that is; the engine and exhaust sounds are delightful. In the Porsche cup cars all you tend to hear is the transmission whine, it still is a wonderful noise, but in this GT2 is couple of levels more enjoyable I think
Thank You! The GT2 is just pure sex in terms of engine and drivetrain noise. It never gets old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
Looks like a great time. That GT2 is amazing. I'd love to have a ride with Auberlen. Imagine what you could learn from that guy.
From those that rode with him they were too distracted by the GT2 M3 to care about what he was doing. Keep in mind Bill won ALMS in THAT car is 2010, so its second nature for him in that car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Great write-up Nick! I had the pleasure of a ride-along in the M4 with Steve driving. Dan took Sue and I out on Thursday night in the BSM M5 and we blasted around some of the twisties in Rancho Santa Fe!

The whole weekend is always a blast, but the M4 ride-along was the highlight of the weekend for me! Looking forward to May!
Dan mentioned he took some people out in the M5, quite a car huh? We also talked about May today...wow what a trip that will be!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
ZGM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Looks great and like a fun time.

I am very surprised that the driver and passengers are not required to wear a helmet.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

So nice of the Navy to open up North Island for this.

I'm sure we could shut down Oceana for a few days if you guys wanted to come out east.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
M4isKing
Banned
Rep
Drives: no torque

nice!

I wonder what the "fancy" button does ?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
nickdrivesm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGM3 View Post
Looks great and like a fun time.

I am very surprised that the driver and passengers are not required to wear a helmet.
Depending on the venue, helmets are not required. Should they be? Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
So nice of the Navy to open up North Island for this.

I'm sure we could shut down Oceana for a few days if you guys wanted to come out east.
Make it happen and call me. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4isKing View Post
nice!

I wonder what the "fancy" button does ?
Its a secret button that does a few things like push to pass and fire engine after the air jacks are released during pit stops.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Damn, and order an M3, sound advice.
      10-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I need more GT2 in my life.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

very very cool!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3

Turn 1 & 2 are a double apex with a nice bump in the middle, so it helps rotate the car as long as you're not too aggressive. The M4 made it through this turn with no drama in the chassis and even though I had it in MDM mode, the car still let me get a fair amount of lateral G before intervening.

Upon exiting turn 2, the noise from the engine was just AWESOME! It gave an incredible intake noise that sounded like something you would want to hear an engine make at mid/high RPM under full throttle. I laughed as I heard this because those who think the noise of the M3/4 are softened and tampered with the Active Sound feature have no idea what they are talking about. With windows down and full acceleration, the M4 makes a noise what will cause you to wet yourself as it pushes your chest against the seat.

As I put the M4 through its paces, turn after turn, lap after lap, I got very accustomed to the car. The electric power steering becomes a part of you. In fact, you almost cannot tell the different between the EPS and the old-style hydraulic power steering. The input for the steering wheel becomes simple and precise. At speed it gives good feedback so its not so sensitive but when you're in the slower turns or maneuvering around the pits, its soft enough that you won't struggle to go lock to lock.

I never felt uneasy in the M4 with a lot of lateral G in anticipation of the back end trying to come around on me, which I did feel often in the E9X M3.

If you want to know what I would do, I would go order an M3. Not knocking the M4 at all but if the M3 is anything like the M4, I know how its going to drive and considering the M3 is about $2500 cheaper, 3in wider in the back and now equipped with a Carbon Fiber roof...I'm sold.

As for sharing the track with the GT2 M3, words cannot do justice and seeing/sharing the track with the car is something I can now cross off my bucket list. I'll let the videos do the talking.

Nice ! thanks for addressing so many M enthusiasts irrational fears! Just wait now.. all the haters/doubters will call you a BMW mouthpiece!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-01-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #19
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Awesome coverage! Makes me want to go out and drive. Thanks for sharing!
      10-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #20
AtlantaDude
Just enjoying my time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i - Sold

I wonder what the Fancy button does on the stearing wheel....

Nevermind.. That's been answered above

If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever

Last edited by AtlantaDude; 10-01-2014 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: I read the thread finally
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #21
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Master Tech!!

Tell us all about S65 rod bearings!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
nickdrivesm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Damn, and order an M3, sound advice.
I try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I need more GT2 in my life.
We all do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Nice ! thanks for addressing so many M enthusiasts irrational fears! Just wait now.. all the haters/doubters will call you a BMW mouthpiece!
Haha! I was waiting for my shot to put these irrational fears to bed. Speculation through forums is like drinking poison, eventually you become biased about a car based on what you've read and you haven't even driven one for yourself. I'll bet that if you put these people in an empty garage with a camera recording them and surprise them with an M4 to drive, they wouldn't say one bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Awesome coverage! Makes me want to go out and drive. Thanks for sharing!
Do it! For all of us that don't have an M3/4 yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear From Jax View Post
I wonder what the Fancy button does on the stearing wheel....

Nevermind.. That's been answered above
haha, its the mystery button!!
Appreciate 0