BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Anyone rock a baby seat in E92?

So this is weird to think about but my wife and I are expecting our first child. I sold my ZCP E46 M3 about four months ago and have been on the search for the perfect E92 M3 replacement and haven't had luck. Now with the new news I have opened up to the idea of getting an E90 instead of E92. My wife and I have had some talks about if a four door would be needed for me and we just aren't convinced I'll use my personal car for baby patrol (we're in the process of purchasing her an E91 328i).

While we don't think the baby will spend much time in the E92, I figured there will be a few instances where it will be necessary. I wanted to see how many of you actually fit a newborn-2 year old in their E92 (pictures would be awesome). Enough space? Hard to get the child in? Suggest opting for the E90? General thoughts?

Thanks fellas/gals!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

first of all ..... congratulationss!!!!! funny me and my wife were talking about the exact same thing last night. We too r expecting our first one and I was asking her what does she think about getting the newborn home in the M3...... the look on her face was priceless.......should've clicked a picture......

I am about to put together our infant car seat this weekend, if I land up putting it in the car, i'll try to post some pics....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
first of all ..... congratulationss!!!!! funny me and my wife were talking about the exact same thing last night. We too r expecting our first one and I was asking her what does she think about getting the newborn home in the M3...... the look on her face was priceless.......should've clicked a picture......

I am about to put together our infant car seat this weekend, if I land up putting it in the car, i'll try to post some pics....
Thanks! That would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Congratulations. I have a 1 yr old and I put her in the Recaro ProRIDE. It fits perfectly. We have an suv for 90% of the time but I need to take and drop her off at daycare in the mornings so I have this in my E92.

http://www.target.com/p/recaro-prori...FQtgMgodEkgAPw
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
Congratulations. I have a 1 yr old and I put her in the Recaro ProRIDE. It fits perfectly. We have an suv for 90% of the time but I need to take and drop her off at daycare in the mornings so I have this in my E92.

Nice, thanks. That's what we figured. 95% of the time it would be in the wagon but would need access.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Canuckistanian
Ghost Rider
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 6MT AW/FR

Hey,
Just picked up an E90, and I have a 5 year old and an 8 year old.

Both are in booster seats.

My observations:

- the contours of the back seat make it challenging to put a wide-based booster/car seat in the spots without blocking access to the seatbelt female receptor (surely there is a technical term for this, lol). Less of an issue with a latch mechanism, BUT, you will be required to push the baby seat into the cushion to keep it tight, and this will rub/push on the bolstering. Suggest you put a thick towel under the baby seat to prevent too much damage to the cushion.

- The seats are roomy enough back there for a baby, but with a backward facing seat, the angle might require you to put your seat forward. Not sure how tall you are, but I would think you'd need to put the baby seat on the passenger side rather than the driver's side / middle, if you are long of legs.

- I am 6'4, with long legs, and there is room for my 5-year old to sit behind me, but it's not great for him (sorry, Son). If there was a backward facing seat, this would be impossible on my side.

- With a baby, the backward facing seat will likely sit into a base which you can leave in the car and easily unattach. This will make it easier to get the seat in and out, but will still be awkward. The initial base setup will be a pain in the ass, but reasonably easy afterward. If you don't mind the reach in, you'll be okay.

- Getting to your baby quickly will be much more challenging than with a 4-door. Sometimes you will wish you could more quickly get to your kid. In a coupe, you're a contortionist.

- the E90 has a sexier back half of the car. You may want to factor that into your decision
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Canuckistanian
Ghost Rider
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post

Just an FYI to the OP, you won't be able to use this type of seat with a newborn, it's a Stage 2 mod for babies.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I had a rear facing infant seat in my E92 when my daughter was an infant and now she's two and I have a Recaro proride. They both fit fine, no issues. When she's older you're going to want a seat back protector because she kicks the sheit out of the back of the front seat LOL.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I had the same question 6 months ago and my decision was if it will be the only car available to transport then it has to be e90 but if there is another 4 door car then e92 would be the one. I like e92 more for the looks and that's why I bought another 4 door car for family.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

Buy a van.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
I have an E92 M3, and I regularly ferry my children around in it.

I have a rear-facing baby seat for my 2 year old daughter, and a booster seat for my 6 year old son. The only issue with the rear facing baby seat is that it's somewhat of a tight fit (at least with the one I use) and you have to go in from the opposite side to get her in it, but it's not that bad. Depending on the brand, whichever seat you place it behind won't be able to move all the way back.

When I have to ferry around adult passengers, it's not that hard to get the child seats out and put them in the spacious trunk.

I have seat mats placed underneath to protect my leather. I'll get some pictures this evening to show my set up.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulM3 View Post
Buy a van.
Well aint that the American way. Have one child and need a yacht for the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I have an E92 M3, and I regularly ferry my children around in it.

I have a rear-facing baby seat for my 2 year old daughter, and a booster seat for my 6 year old son. The only issue with the rear facing baby seat is that it's somewhat of a tight fit (at least with the one I use) and you have to go in from the opposite side to get her in it, but it's not that bad. Depending on the brand, whichever seat you place it behind won't be able to move all the way back.

When I have to ferry around adult passengers, it's not that hard to get the child seats out and put them in the spacious trunk.

I have seat mats placed underneath to protect my leather. I'll get some pictures this evening to show my set up.
Great, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Album here:
View post on imgur.com

It should illustrate the fit and how much leg room your passenger will have with at least the graco rear facing/forward facing seat
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Album here:
View post on imgur.com

It should illustrate the fit and how much leg room your passenger will have with at least the graco rear facing/forward facing seat
Nice, thanks. Still looks like it will have a lot of room up front. My wife (little gal) would mainly be driving with us and if she is around that would mean the second car is available so I likely won't ever have passengers and the baby. But that does look doable. Probably the best route, as mentioned by another member, is to climb into the back seat on the drivers side with the baby and then put in. A bit annoying but won't be done too often.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
Nice, thanks. Still looks like it will have a lot of room up front. My wife (little gal) would mainly be driving with us and if she is around that would mean the second car is available so I likely won't ever have passengers and the baby. But that does look doable. Probably the best route, as mentioned by another member, is to climb into the back seat on the drivers side with the baby and then put in. A bit annoying but won't be done too often.
That's exactly what I do when I put my daughter in the rear facing seat. It definitely adds to the loading/unloading time, but it's definitely doable. I just love the coupe look and the annoyance doesn't really bother me enough to justify 4 doors.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistanian View Post
Just an FYI to the OP, you won't be able to use this type of seat with a newborn, it's a Stage 2 mod for babies.
ahh yes, good point. However I think any newborn seat will work just fine. You'll have limited seat room in the front passenger seat though as rear facing takes up more room.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #17
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Get an E90.... It is an all around better situation. I have an infant and its so easy to get him in and out having 4 doors... Plus me thinking the E90's actually look better helped out alot
      10-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
Get an E90.... It is an all around better situation. I have an infant and its so easy to get him in and out having 4 doors... Plus me thinking the E90's actually look better helped out alot
Drove a Jerez Black E90 yesterday and really don't mind the look of the E90 but do prefer the E92. Such a sweet machine.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #19
ghost4blind
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW e92 m3

I have seen it done a few time, not in my own e92 just yet lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #20
Majestic12
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue E92 M3

My wife and I took our 5 week old son on his first E92 M drive last weekend (even put the baby on board sign in the back window). We have an LR3 for hauling all the kids around so the M doesn't have little people in it too often. That said it really wasn't much of an issue getting him in and out so if his time in the E92 will be limited I say get the E92. I will try to post some pics of his first ride tonight.

Congratulations and good luck on you first born!
Appreciate 1
0utlaw9.50
      10-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #21
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
My wife and I took our 5 week old son on his first E92 M drive last weekend (even put the baby on board sign in the back window). We have an LR3 for hauling all the kids around so the M doesn't have little people in it too often. That said it really wasn't much of an issue getting him in and out so if his time in the E92 will be limited I say get the E92. I will try to post some pics of his first ride tonight.

Congratulations and good luck on you first born!
Nice, thanks! I'd love to see photos of fitment...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #22
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
If not DD small child around then no big deal to have e92. Anyone with booster seats figure out a way to keep them in place when driving without child?
Appreciate 0