BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

X-Line with Paddle Shifters

I am about to order a 2015 X5 xDrive35i and am caught up between the X-Line and the M-Sport lines. I like the X-Line look more as I find the front and rear of the M-Sport somewhat plain in comparison.

However, I like the M-Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters and the sports automatic transmission. I noticed that on the X6 in the US and the X5 in European and Asian markets, X-Line trim can be had with a sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters and SAT. Has anyone tried to get this in the US or if this would be possible?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMacht View Post
I am about to order a 2015 X5 xDrive35i and am caught up between the X-Line and the M-Sport lines. I like the X-Line look more as I find the front and rear of the M-Sport somewhat plain in comparison.

However, I like the M-Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters and the sports automatic transmission. I noticed that on the X6 in the US and the X5 in European and Asian markets, X-Line trim can be had with a sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters and SAT. Has anyone tried to get this in the US or if this would be possible?

TIA
I've done it, installed and coded it myself (Shawn Sheridan told me what to code). I'm just waiting on the rest of my wrap project to complete before posting pictures and my DIY. My carbon fiber M-Sport steering wheel works with the paddle shifters perfectly. However, the drawback is that it's not cheap.

All you have to do is add 2TB to your FA, install the steering wheel and airbag, and then VO Code BDC_Body. That's it.

Last edited by opasha; 11-04-2014 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I've done it, installed and coded it myself. I'm just waiting on the rest of my wrap project to complete before posting pictures and my DIY. My carbon fiber M-Sport steering wheel works with the paddle shifters beautifully.

All you have to do is add 2TB to your FA, install the steering wheel and airbag, and then VO Code BDC_Body. That's it.
Would a modification like this void the warranty? I'll look forward to your DIY thread because I might go this route.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMacht View Post
Would a modification like this void the warranty? I'll look forward to your DIY thread because I might go this route.
No. You're just installing a factory part and coding the factory option right into your vehicle. It's the same thing we do when we remove 8S4 from our FA to allow Vehicle Light Distribution - something already enabled by default in European markets. BMW just likes to take away things in some countries. Really stupid/unfair marketing if you ask me. Other manufacturers don't decode to this degree. Take Audi and Mercedes for example...they have their side mirrors automatically enabled for their keyfobs. We have to code ours.

They'll void your warranty if you don't disconnect your negative battery terminal and make your airbag inflate in your face...sure, then maybe they would . Of course, I'll cover how to avoid all this.