Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

12-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
M3/M4 driving in the SNOW

Here is mine today:
Name:  01420038732.png
Views: 4814
Size:  445.9 KB

Share your pics :-)

Last edited by Hedoniste; 01-02-2015 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Arktis Metallic

Is that the best you could do for your picture?
Nice m3 btw.
      12-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
zhoffman9
Hoffy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi RS5 | 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco89
Nice m3 btw.
Hahaha
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
LoL... I posted this pic with my iPhone (with the Bimmerpost APP).
I will probably understand your feedback when I will check my post on my computer.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco89 View Post
Nice m3 btw.
Tough crowd!.....but I get what you're saying
      12-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Title should read 'M4 DRIVING in the Snow'

Would be a lot more entertaining! Sorry for not contributing... it's a nice 47 degrees outside!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

My F80 on a frozen lake.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Rare Southern CA day today snows here every 20 years

Name:  NEWYEARS15.jpg
Views: 4068
Size:  613.1 KB

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #9
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
@coolmody: which temperature outside? amazing frozen pic...

Pic edited from my first post.. Now I am seeing my pic on my iMac I understand your previous comments lol :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:55 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody View Post
My F80 on a frozen lake.
Looking good in the snow!
      01-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
@coolmody: which temperature outside? amazing frozen pic...
It was -20 Celcius out on the lake. It was very cold, but the car did well out there. I was doing some ice driving training in preparation for some competitive winter RallyX.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #12
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
It was -20 Celcius out on the lake. It was very cold, but the car did well out there. I was doing some ice driving training in preparation for some competitive winter RallyX.
Satisfied with the traction? What winter tyres do you use? Do you have DSC off? Awesome pic! Share more if you have!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Satisfied with the traction? What winter tyres do you use? Do you have DSC off? Awesome pic! Share more if you have!
Same questions.

Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Let me see you drive in 6" of unpacked snow then you can call it M4 driving in snow #rs4rulessnow
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #15
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Acceleration isn't going to compete with an AWD vehicle. You have to ease on the throttle when taking off from a stop, but once you are moving, the car does much better. Turn in and braking are fantastic on the ice. The car will generally oversteer, unless you are coming in too hot into a turn. When you drive on ice, the dynamics and limits of the car are much easier to find and you can very easily tell if your car is setup to oversteer or understeer. Before the M3, I was using an Audi S4, and that car likes to understeer. With the M3, it will want to oversteer (not surprising).

I'm using Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded winters and that is where I am getting an advantage over other cars out there. If you watch some of the videos below, you will see how the car catches up to other cars which are not running studs.

DSC was off for the majority of the day. I tried the car with it fully engaged and with MDM on. Both were too intrusive on the ice. They are good for keeping you out of trouble in the city, but out where I was, it was much slower with the aids turned on. I also tried all the different settings and modes, and found the best setup to be:

Throttle - Sport
Suspension - Comfort
Steering - Sport+

Throttle in Sport+ was too sensitive, and the suspension was perfect in Comfort mode. Lake ice isn't perfectly smooth like a skating rink which has a Zamboni smoothing it out. It can get quite rough depending on weather conditions, and how the lake has frozen over. Some sections get very rough and bumpy, but the adaptive suspension handles it beautifully. The steering on Sport+ feels very light, as the front wheels aren't doing much slipping and sliding around on the ice

Overall the car did very well. The first competitive event is in 2 weeks, so I will see how the car does against other cars in my class (studded RWD class). For anyone that wants to learn how their car behaves at lower speeds, driving it on ice is the way to do it. It's easier to learn the car (slower speeds), and also much easier on your tires

Some videos and pictures below. Video 1 is a clean run. Video 2 features 2 spinouts. If you aren't careful, its hard to keep a drift going

I don't have the best pictures or videos from outside the car, as I couldn't convince anyone to stand outside in -20 temps to take them.

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      01-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #16
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody
Quote:
Acceleration isn't going to compete with an AWD vehicle. You have to ease on the throttle when taking off from a stop, but once you are moving, the car does much better. Turn in and braking are fantastic on the ice. The car will generally oversteer, unless you are coming in too hot into a turn. When you drive on ice, the dynamics and limits of the car are much easier to find and you can very easily tell if your car is setup to oversteer or understeer. Before the M3, I was using an Audi S4, and that car likes to understeer. With the M3, it will want to oversteer (not surprising).

I'm using Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded winters and that is where I am getting an advantage over other cars out there. If you watch some of the videos below, you will see how the car catches up to other cars which are not running studs.

DSC was off for the majority of the day. I tried the car with it fully engaged and with MDM on. Both were too intrusive on the ice. They are good for keeping you out of trouble in the city, but out where I was, it was much slower with the aids turned on. I also tried all the different settings and modes, and found the best setup to be:

Throttle - Sport
Suspension - Comfort
Steering - Sport+

Throttle in Sport+ was too sensitive, and the suspension was perfect in Comfort mode. Lake ice isn't perfectly smooth like a skating rink which has a Zamboni smoothing it out. It can get quite rough depending on weather conditions, and how the lake has frozen over. Some sections get very rough and bumpy, but the adaptive suspension handles it beautifully. The steering on Sport+ feels very light, as the front wheels aren't doing much slipping and sliding around on the ice

Overall the car did very well. The first competitive event is in 2 weeks, so I will see how the car does against other cars in my class (studded RWD class). For anyone that wants to learn how their car behaves at lower speeds, driving it on ice is the way to do it. It's easier to learn the car (slower speeds), and also much easier on your tires

Some videos and pictures below. Video 1 is a clean run. Video 2 features 2 spinouts. If you aren't careful, its hard to keep a drift going

I don't have the best pictures or videos from outside the car, as I couldn't convince anyone to stand outside in -20 temps to take them.

That's awesome!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:

Throttle - Sport
Suspension - Comfort
Steering - Sport+

Ghost lake?
      01-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #18
DINMANN
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw f80m3 2015

wow very nice, looks fun
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #19
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Ghost lake?
Yep. You should come out and join me. I need a bigger posse to take on all the Subaru's out there
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #20
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Yep. You should come out and join me. I need a bigger posse to take on all the Subaru's out there
No studs, no experience with rally and no guts.....but damn that does look like fun.

How often/when do you meet and race?
      01-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #21
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:

Throttle - Sport
Suspension - Comfort
Steering - Sport+

Man - that looks like a blast....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #22
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
No studs, no experience with rally and no guts.....but damn that does look like fun.

How often/when do you meet and race?
You have to start somewhere! There are lots of guys out there running without studs.

We race every 2 weeks. We had another outing today filled with tons of fun and even more snow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Wills28687.50
ljzimm105.50